It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Student Internet is being Throttled for accessing ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I have been trying to only access many "controversial" sites and videos from my college. However, after doing this for a few weeks I have found that my internet has been experiencing more problems and failures since I started doing this. I have been at the same school accessing equal amounts of data and video for over 2 years with no problems. ONLY when the content changed did my experience change. I am quite experienced in network diagnosis and computers, so please don't just say that I am being paranoid.

I have tried other computers not associated to me, but all things must be logged in through the central network and the second my password is entered and enter is hit, the network goes crazy and can't be found, or its intermittent.

My account has been reset multiple times, and I have conversed at length with the gentleman in IT who have no further knowledge than I do.

Any thoughts or ideas?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by auto73912621

Explanation: S&F!

IMO, even with both flash and java updated the internet has been slugwothy lagtard for about 6months now regardless of where I surf.

Personal Disclosure: Java and Flash are at war with each other ok!

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Have you discussed the matter with the staff of ATS? Check all the corners before deciding you're seeing ghosts.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I have a problem with my iphone going over the monthly usage,even though I don't use it hardly at all accessing the internet,and when I do it's ATS.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I have been trying to only access many "controversial" sites and videos from my college.

Now you know better than to talk to strange computers...

Find out if other students are experiencing the same sorts of problems?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This could be an issue with nannyware being run by the network admin on your side. There are some filters that consider ATS to be a "social networking site" and throttle or filter it that way. I had similar problems on the machine at my local library and their nannyware was the cause.

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
are you going to a ultra liberal school.
could be they don't like the free thought that ATS and it's members express here.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
get one of your friends to use their password and try sites that have different content from ATS.
then try ATS, and see if they get throttled.
edit on 3-12-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
A thought. Try a VPN. Here's something cheap. Link.

If it works it could be nannyware somewhere in the schools system. Or what I have suspected there are various hackers/government censors etc that don't like various websites due to their content.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Many schools (and employers for that matter) utilize web filtering solutions such as Websense to control what the network is used to access, in the case of some places incorrect configuration of the solution will block tons of things that they might otherwise not care about enough to block because the default lists (specifically in the case of Websense) will block ATS or otherwise throttle it due to keyword analysis of the content. Do you ever encounter any block pages when trying to access blatantly disallowed content and if so does it contain a product name like Websense or Baracuda?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Beside the inappropriate tone and censor circumvention, you are factually incorrect. It's not a virus if it affects different computers only when one id is logged in. That speaks more to a program issue with permissions.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
That sucks.

I'm a little nervous about using this site, too. I would talk to ATS administrators or try the site on a different computer or something. That is exactly my kind of luck right there.

Hope you find out what the problem is

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
get your own tablet or do your homework

wtf ?

top topics

join