It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Encourages Homophobic Humiliation as Student Punishment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by olaru12

Domo is right... although his sarcasm was hard to detect he was saying exactly what you are now.

This is an idiotic way to stop agression but i dont think any there was any homophobic intent.

OK, Domo's sarcasm went over my head, but I see plenty of homophobic intent in making two young men be subjected to abuse from their fellow students. What exactly was the intent of having those guys "appear" gay?

Two Arizona high school students who were caught fighting faced a controversial punishment concocted by their principal: Either endure a suspension, or sit in the school courtyard holding hands while other students shout and throw homophobic slurs at you.

Damn, I wish I had become an attorney. So much low hanging fruit!!

edit on 3-12-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It's illegal and hate crimes, and against the constitution. I would sue him massively and work at correcting his job position, ie. he needs some severe reprimands and job training, especially child psychology courses.

Aside from the fact that he is NOT ENTITLED TO SHAME OR PICK ON CHILDREN IN SEXUALLY IDENTIFYING WAYS AND THIS WAS COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE, asking other students to commit sins against anyone by taunting or calling them names (and that is called harm and is like assault and you answer for it when you pass over and its akin to asking your child to swear and commit crimes) IS NOT ALLOWED BY ANY EDUCATOR.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Where is the rest of the story? All I can find is the same exact copy on multiple sites, with no mention of the reason for any punishment, and a lot of clearly biased commentary. We hear about this supposed punishment, but nothing about the reason? Not very good reporting, if you ask me. How can we form an opinion without all of the data? Clearly, they don't want us to; they want us to accept the opinion we are fed. Not biting.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

They forgot to report the part where he ordered or encouraged the students to yell homosexual slurs. It was in the title, but no where else does it make the claim. It obviously did what it was supposed to do, incite anger and get people to not read about the event itself and instead focus on the apparently editorial style headline. Quite brilliant as far as that goes, so easy to manipulate emotions. I almost fell for it until i read the story.

I think it was a mistake in practice, but the idea probably came from a good place. Either way he is in trouble, people wont ever look passed that initial reporting as other sources will be all too happy to repeat it.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

They forgot to report the part where he ordered or encouraged the students to yell homosexual slurs. It was in the title, but no where else does it make the claim. It obviously did what it was supposed to do, incite anger and get people to not read about the event itself and instead focus on the apparently editorial style headline. Quite brilliant as far as that goes, so easy to manipulate emotions. I almost fell for it until i read the story.

I think it was a mistake in practice, but the idea probably came from a good place. Either way he is in trouble, people wont ever look passed that initial reporting as other sources will be all too happy to repeat it.

Well, we seem to have a picture, but no video? Yeah, they did a good job stirring emotions. I have to wonder if the whole thing wasn't set up. For all we know, the man was punishing teens that didn't approve of homosexuality, but the story makes it look the other way. In any case, no bullying like that is right, no matter what the comments were, but using it to rile people up is worse. Still want to know all the facts.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
now wait!!!!!
nowhere does it say the principle inspired or required the students to throw homosexual taunts at the boys being disciplined.
So how in the world does this offend homosexuals?
It seems to me that this is something they would see as helping legitimize their plight.
To make a hetero stereotype discounted and masculine outbursts such as fighting downplayed by , og gosh, holding hands.
How is this much different as an object lesson than the evangelist that pretended to be gay for a year as to walk in their shoes?

I see this as more of a mysogenist lesson than a gay lesson.
It is quite common for hetero girls to hold hands with their friends at that age. But not boys.

So, show me where the principle prompted the gay slurs in his own words or reword the op as to not incite a false story to serve another gay agenda.....FALSELY.

I see this as more of an insight to the posters in this thread and not the principle or the students.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by manna2

So, show me where the principle prompted the gay slurs in his own words or reword the op as to not incite a false story to serve another gay agenda.....FALSELY.

Two Arizona high school students who were caught fighting faced a controversial punishment concocted by their principal: Either endure a suspension, or sit in the school courtyard holding hands while other students shout and throw homophobic slurs at you.

Oh please, the principal orchestrated the punishment and knew exactly what would happen.
If any principal subjected my kid to public humiliation for any reason; being fired would be one of the least of his worries. No one, absolutely no one ****s with any member of my family. If you have a problem with my kids, you come to me and I deem what punishment is appropriate. I don't care about any gay agenda! I care about arrogant academics on a power trip. I hope that those two students show Tim Richards a little physical education after he get fired.

Justice should be painful!
edit on 4-12-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

That is pretty brave to assume you know what he knew when he did this. You think he knew ahead of time it would cause such a ruckus as to most likely get him fired and sued? That is pretty presumptuous to claim you know what this man was thinking at the time.

Can you really not see this for what it is? Does it not bother you that the author of this article is playing you like a fiddle? I mean I would flip out of someone made my son hold another boys hand too...oh wait no I wouldn't. I honestly feel you are directing your anger in the wrong direction. You are being manipulated, but somehow that bothers you less than a man you don't know forcing 2 boys you don't know to hold hands.

Originally posted by Unity_99
It's illegal and hate crimes, and against the constitution.

Where does it say in the constitution that you can't make 2 boys hold hands? Thats some crazy foresight.
edit on 12/4/2012 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

That is pretty brave to assume you know what he knew when he did this. You think he knew ahead of time it would cause such a ruckus as to most likely get him fired and sued? That is pretty presumptuous to claim you know what this man was thinking at the time.

Obviously you are being manipulated into defending this POS. What is it about "I'm the only one allowed to punish my kids as their parent" you don't understand?

The principal stepped out of bounds, even according to his schools administration. The constitution has nothing to do with this.

The district does not condone the choice of in-school discipline given these students, regardless of their acceptance or willingness to participate. District leadership will address this matter with the school principal and review district protocol regarding student discipline with all administrators.”

When you grow up and have some experience as a parent then come talk to me.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I am not defending anyone, I am not your enemy please don't attack me. I am trying to point out to you that you are being used, thats all. If you don't care there is obviously nothing I can do to make you care. Personally I would be mad.

If you go back and read my previous posts, I have stated many times I think the idea was probably righteous but in practice it failed big time. He should have had the foresight to see this would happen but he didn't. He will be fired and sued, and I don't necessarily disagree with that outcome.

I have 2 kids, one of them a teenager and one of them a toddler. And? That doesn't mean I forget to use my brain and automatically attack everything that has to do with another person punishing a child.

IT ISN"T YOUR CHILD, YOU CAN RELAX. No one hurt your babies, don't worry so much.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Holding hands is gay now?

Man, west is getting more homophobic than i thought...why don't you put on protective padding on your precious angels so they don't get hurt either...

---

I bet the original intention of the principal to have them hold hands as "friends" and a punishment to not fight with each other..

You people that's shouting homophobic never heard of parents letting a brother and brother hold hands with each other so they don't fight in the future?

Other students were probably mean because they been brought up homophobic.

I bet some of you are the ones accidentally touch another man and says "no homo".... it means you are flippin homosexual if you have that thought running in your head every time you touch a man...

edit on 12/4/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

IT ISN"T YOUR CHILD, YOU CAN RELAX. No one hurt your babies, don't worry so much.

I don't really need that patronizing, snotty attitude either.

Apparently the principal of not having some one other than the parent disciplining children escapes you.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

It is blatantly obvious that was his original intention, but since the Title of the article was written like it was most people will never think passed that point.

I don't mean to be condescending, but this is a very good lesson on critical thinking. Who uses it and who doesn't.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Ok then. I see we have nothing left to discuss. Take care.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Awesome punishment!

They had their choice of punishments and picked the one that was harder to endure, but better for them in the long run (not missing school due to suspension)! Good choice by the boys, and an interesting and creative punishment from Principle Richard.

The boys will live it down, and in two to three days the school will be buzzing about something else, such is the nature of children.

I hope he doesn't lose his job, and I hope more educators think "out of the box" when it comes time to choose between doling out punishment "by the book" based on stupid "zero tolerance" policies!

Stand tall, Principle Richard, myself as well as 100% of the callers on the morning radio show I listen to on the drive in to work think you're all right!

*stated his opinion and now runs like hell from this thread*

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join