It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Encourages Homophobic Humiliation as Student Punishment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

School Encourages Homophobic Humiliation as Student Punishment

www.takepart.com

Two Arizona high school students who were caught fighting faced a controversial punishment concocted by their principal: Either endure a suspension, or sit in the school courtyard holding hands while other students shout and throw homophobic slurs at you.

The message here seems to be that there’s nothing more horrific than being perceived as gay.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
A new equivalent to "running the gauntlet"?? When I was a kid you got caned for serious offences like fighting.

I wonder if he would make 2 gay students pretend to be straight??

I'm all for kids being made to "face up" for their sins (sic), but I would like to know why the principal thought this was appropriate??
!

Fortunately (IMO) the school district also see this as unacceptable:

“Mesa Public Schools is dedicated to maintaining a safe and supportive learning environment. The district has guidelines for appropriate student discipline and our site administrators have the authority to impose consequences within our policies and regulations.”

“The district does not condone the choice of in-school discipline given these students, regardless of their acceptance or willingness to participate. District leadership will address this matter with the school principal and review district protocol regarding student discipline with all administrators."

www.takepart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-12-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I don't know what to say about this other than it really aggravates me.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Seriously?

That's the kind of stuff that creates terrorists and serial killers dammit.

How is that supposed to make someone actually homosexual feel?

2 minutes of hate anyone???

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Was the intention actually to have students call these two gay, or to make them hold hands as if they were friends? Doesn't seem much different than making two people shake hands after a fight. I really doubt students were encouraged to shout gay slurs.

Obviously not the best idea, but seems like a non event.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Wow! I certainly hope that principal is fired.

Sometimes when you give someone power or authority, it goes to their head and they think they can do no wrong. Unfortunately, that is all too common in society. People tend to rise to the level of their incompetence.

His bigotry has certainly been shown and he should pay for it with his position.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Oh oh, I smell a lawsuit in the making!

I can feel the ACLU lawyers amassing at the school gates!

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Because all gay people are men and also choose to have that type of sex...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
Mod Edit
Removed Sexually Explicit Quote

... while the rest of society is driven by a penis in a vagina.

What's your point here?

The obvious intention of this punishment was as humiliation, which, in and of itself is a silly way to go, but also was focued on denigrating a section of society that is protected by all the rights that others hold.

this was simply a very stupid thing for that school administrator to have done.
edit on 12/4/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
When I was in junior high and got caught fighting, the coach (ex Goldon Gloves boxer) gave you both gloves and reffed the match!

Very effective. Kids usually ended up friends.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Apparently the U.S. is one of the only countries these days in which this generations education is worse than what previous generations had, maybe this is why

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Was the intention actually to have students call these two gay, or to make them hold hands as if they were friends? Doesn't seem much different than making two people shake hands after a fight. I really doubt students were encouraged to shout gay slurs.

Obviously not the best idea, but seems like a non event.

So you didn't read the news article accompanying the OP did you?

That is exactly what the principal did and he will soon be fired, his family will be targeted, and the school system will be sued.
The Gay community will be up in arms at this stupid action and some of them are mad dog attorneys that will rake that dumbass, prin. Tim Richards over the coals with Two defamation of character suits. He just ruined his career.

As Ron White said...."you just can't fix stupid"

Because all gay people are men and also choose to have that type of sex...

All gay people aren't men...........ever heard of lesbians? How old are you?

edit on 3-12-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'm unclear as to what the actual intention of the Principle was.. making them sit and hold hands. Like previously mentioned on this thread, is that like shaking hands or hugging to show everyone else the 'issue' is resolved in a friendly and mature way?

Or perhaps, was the mention of homosexuality by the Principle just warning shot to the kids of, 'If you choose in-school, this will be your punishment.. and remember, you two holding hands isn't going to be easy. There's gonna be a lot of people calling you names..' because he knows his schools' population is relatively intolerant?

That being said, even IF he personally didn't tell other students to participate, and even IF it was just a 'possible outcome' of the punishment, the fact that he'd offer that as one of the options for consequence is just stupid.

I think my favorite part of the whole thing is, aren't we supposed to be teaching our kids/the next generation tolerance? And what sort of message does that send to anyone, parent or student, if humiliation (via a predjudicial context), is an acceptable form of punishment?

Last but not least, I hope at least 1 member of the faculty is gay. Just one. That's all it would take. And may he or she high-5 the Principle for his actions. In the face. With a chair.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
flame on. This administrator tried to offer a punishment for an offense and you all want the head. Well since the parents cannot discipline, now the administrators cannot punish, so I guess its just the cops for you people. Dont want a nanny state, but then tie the hands of all who can do something about it. pathetic.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Who is it then that can handle these kids so they do not grow up to committing mass homicide? not the parents or now the teachers or school
edit on 3-12-2012 by eazyriderl_l because: double post

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Learn to recognize sarcasm. The comment was a reply to the homophobic poster above domo. You are criticizing the wrong person.

Nowhere did it say the principle encouraged them to yell gay slurs, at all. While it didn't work out like he planned I think it was a good idea in theory. Obviously he should have had the foresight to realize what this would turn into, because the actual outcome is unacceptable. I think it's being blown out of proportion and taken out of context a little bit. On a side note most of society in the US finds gays unacceptable so it's not like this isn't indicative of real world social norms. I hate to say it but being different requires thick skin, I wish it was different but it's not. We can strive for better but it's foolish to expect it from most.

Either way I agree this guy is about to find out what it's like to have a train ran on you, luckily for him it will be a legal train instead of a flesh one.
edit on 12/3/2012 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by eazyriderl_l

It isn't so much about tying the hands of the administrators or faculty, but rather providing a consequence or punishment that isn't taking another group of people along for the ride. If neither of the kids was homosexual, why punish them with something that may (or may not) make homosexual students, teachers, parents (in that community) feel isolated or targeted?

What an earlier poster had suggested.. was boxing matches.

I couldn't agree more! Pending parental consent, the school says in a nutshell: 'Oh, you two want to be COOL and fight each other because you're big bad men? Fine. Boxing match in the gym, in front of the WHOLE school. Hope neither of you loses so you're not subjected to self-inflicted humiliation based on stupidity and bad choice. Teehee.'

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Domo is right... although his sarcasm was hard to detect he was saying exactly what you are now.

This is an idiotic way to stop agression but i dont think any there was any homophobic intent.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This is horrible!! I hope they fire that guy!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join