It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your favorite apocalyptic film?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Prepare yourself. A boy and his dog gets much, much weirder.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I've seen a few votes in here for "The Stand" I have to support them.
The TV series though is trash compared to the book which is an absolute master piece. Best thing Stephen King ever wrote in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Panic in Year Zero(1962)--Family goes on a trip, then WW3 happens.
The Day After(1983)--WW3 happens.
Threads(1981)--WW3 in documentary style.

No zombies in the films above. They are more for an adult mind

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

Oh boy. I got some time tonight, I'll try it again - if it gets weird enough maybe it will come around the bend and turn enjoyable.

reply to post by davespanners

I'm with you the book was superior to the show, though the first two episodes I thought were fairly good. I'd argue that "Pet Cemetery" was his best book - it wasn't too deep, but frightening as all hell. As a kid though, "The Stand" kept me up to two months reading it - so lengthy but good.

reply to post by trysts

Added you picks below, hadn't heard of any of them and I can appreciate non-zombie movies as the best type of apocalyptic film (there are some good ones though).

Panic in the year r Zero(1962)--Family goes on a trip, then WW3 happens.

The Day After(1983)--WW3 happens.

Threads(1981)--WW3 in documentary style.

Miracle Mile - Yep, that one is listed in my OP, a surprisingly surreal movie. I've seen it probably 8 times.

The Quiet Earth - Never seen it but I like the description. Adding to my list!

Night of the Comet - Started to watch this one years ago but couldn't get into it.

Save the Green Planet - Crazy + doomsday is right up my alley. It's going on the list.

Last Night - This rings a bell, I *may* have seen this but not sure. Sounds good though, adding just in case.

Battle: Los Angeles - I liked it too. The action alone was good, but don't think I'd watch it again.

The Terminator(s) - Saw them all. Absolute classics, even liked the last one with Bale. Adding for posterity.

Blade Runner - Yeah more sci/fi than doomsday. That's for another list.

Stake Land - Never heard of it, but that trailer looks terrifying. Adding to a top slot on the list.

The Omega Man - I *believe* I am Legend is based on this? Need to see it, adding now.

The Postman - This is Costner film, no? I passed on it years ago, but I'll add it b/c I like Costner again.

The Stand - Read the book, saw this TV mini-series. "Don't Fear the Reaper" opening music, awesome!

Children of Men - Clive Owen? I think I saw this late night, but don't really remember it. Adding it.

I Am Legend - Seen 2 or 3 times. Definitely good. Adding for posterity.

Doomsday - Never heard of i,t but cheesy is ok. Adding.

Reign of Fire - I actually really liked this movie, the insanity of it, the story and the visuals (dragons!!)

Sean of the Dead - Saw this for 1st time last month. Clever and funny. Adding.

Southland Tales - Never heard of it, but enjoyed Donnie Darko. Will definitely check it out. Adding.

The Road - read the book and saw the movie, love it.

Mad Max - Saw all the films, but its been years it may be time to revisit.

Dawn/Day of the Dead - Those are some my favorites, currently loving The Walking Dead (last night was awesome).

12 Monkeys - Really liked that, only saw it once I'll definitely watch again.

Fail Safe - Haven't seen it. But adding to the watch list.

Book of Eli - I thought it was OK, kinda like The Road. I may need to revisit.

On the Beach - Never seen it, never heard of it. Adding to the list.

Boy & His Dog - This one eludes me. It's on my list, but I never remember it. Adding again now!

Dr. Strangeglove - Ashamedly I admit I've never seen this film. It's moving into the top spot now.

reply to post by trysts

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Idiocracy.

Oh wait, that was a documentary. My bad.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Hmmm there are many- 2012 lol.., Knowing, the day the earth stood still, the war of the worlds and others

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Last night I saw a really neat end-of-the-world movie from 1970. It's about a computer scientist creating a super-computer to control all the missiles in the U.S. so that human error would not start WWlll. The computer goes on-line and immediately sends a message that it has "detected another system". It appears the USSR has also made a super-computer! I had never heard of this film before, but it is surprisingly good! The title of the film may have made it seem like some cheesy B-movie, but it isn't. It's called, "Colossus: The Forbin project".
Below is the link to the entire movie on youtube. Enjoy!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
12 Monkeys most definitely

top topics

<< 1   >>

join