It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inventor creates new type of Armour

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Troy Hurtubise a inventor from North Bay, Ontario has created some impressive new armour he hopes can protect troops over seas. You may have seen one of Troy's other inventions the Armoured suit to keep a person safe from a bear attack. Another and IMO more impressive invention of his was firepaste.

Now we has created a new type of Armour.Heres a video of some of his armour in action.

www.exn.ca...

You also get a small view of hie bear suit and the firepaste stuff in the video. Firepaste is a part of his armour and a amazing substance in its own right.

Do you think his armour could help better protect soldiers from bombs?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
yeah i tihnk that stuff rocks

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
That's some really good stuff. I hope we all can pick these up and totally line the bottoms of our HMMWVs and other vehicles with it.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
That guy is a freaking SPAZ though!!!

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Is what I want...good stuff man. The video is impressive and informing all at once.

I give this thread

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Do you think his armour could help better protect soldiers from bombs?

You watched the whole vid right? 20 times the power of a frag, yes I think that stuff would make great armor, even with the bulkyness.

[edit on 23-10-2004 by ADVISOR]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Yeah I saw the whole tape before on the science channel. I also think this stuff can be very useful. What was that first bomb equal to 10 hand grenades so the second bomb was 20. And the stuff only cost $300 a square thats pretty darn cheap.

I also saw the show on just the firepaste I will try to find that too because it was amazing.

DeltaChaos I agree that guy is rather eccentric to say the least. Some of the test he has put himself through for the bear suit and firepaste were insane. I think a scientist told him that with the firepaste helmet test he would be dead in under a minute, and he lasted well over 15 if I remember right. A small layer of that stuff was stopping like 2000 degrees from frying his head.

I find it amazing this single guy might have made armour better then huge militaries can make.

I thought it was weird the guy from the Canadian military couldn't comment on what he thought of the stuff. What is that some type of normal military response.

So does everyone the Canadian military will be buying this stuff?

[edit on 23-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I found the video of the fire paste, I started another thread for it because its quite amazing in its own right.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The bags are very bulky.A demo of them inside are real vehicle may not hold as much strength.Interesting to see if they can be developed small enough to be useful in the field without turning the vehicle into a bubble car.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
The bags are very bulky.A demo of them inside are real vehicle may not hold as much strength.Interesting to see if they can be developed small enough to be useful in the field without turning the vehicle into a bubble car.

less bulky than some armour, if it saves lives its worth it.
hell i seen the program about the suit that was impressive but those pads are pretty damm impressive.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I dunno the size of the bags look unuseable.This kinda protection isn`t anything new.Most weapon development agencies have developed this kinda strength the real problem is the size of it.If you were to put these into a vehicle you are making what is already around APC ok there heavy but effective.You coudn`t put these on the windows as you cannot see out of them.You cannot wear them because of there size.The demo with the explosives would have severly injured the person behind the door not because of a penertrating woulnd but the shock blast through the body hasn`t been tested.
I would be worried about this guys abillities as he set fire to the suit he had made without making it fireproof and he suffered burns to his body.Guess his commonsenses should have told him if he hadn`t made it from fireproof material or added fireproofing you would fry your nuts.Don`t need a PH`d to work that out.Plus the size of that suit when he got knocked over must have required a few people to put him upright again.Would be easier to just get out of the way of the object coming towards you.Who wants to fight a bear anyway,you couldn`t walk for long in it so no good for walkers who might bump unintentially into a bear.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
firstly the armour he used firstly was designed for anti bear stuff and secodnly when does a bear carry a flame thrower?
anyway he solved it with that fire proof material.
the pads would be effective on a new design i mean nothing short of an tank would stop it.
imagine many pannels of them all around the tank, so what its bulky it will keep you safe.
also the anti bear suit i think he was just testing out some ideas of armour hell if you needed to see a bear close up and wanted to surivie use that.
anyway why would you wear a block??
he was just showing that this could be made operational this is only the test stage.
i mean people laughed at the tank but it was practical and worked (some of the time) then caught on.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Yea his bear suit was made for people who wanted to study bears up close. But I guess you could just talk # about him to make yourself feel smart. I think that technology could probably be put to better use if they lined vehicles, or whatever, with it. I dont think his intention was to sell actual bags to the army, so they could strap it onto their hummers though.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
firstly the armour he used firstly was designed for anti bear stuff and secodnly when does a bear carry a flame thrower?
anyway he solved it with that fire proof material.
the pads would be effective on a new design i mean nothing short of an tank would stop it.
imagine many pannels of them all around the tank, so what its bulky it will keep you safe.
also the anti bear suit i think he was just testing out some ideas of armour hell if you needed to see a bear close up and wanted to surivie use that.
anyway why would you wear a block??
he was just showing that this could be made operational this is only the test stage.
i mean people laughed at the tank but it was practical and worked (some of the time) then caught on.

Devilwasp l know your only a young guy but please remove you head from your butt

If you need to see a bear up close get a vet to drug it first.Wrestling one not much point in that.So therefore suit total waste of time.Unless you can think of anyother purpose getting hit very hard serves

My point on the fire issue was the guy doesn`t think to well because you wouldn`t set fire to a suit unless you thought it was safe,if he thought that was safe then he does have a few screws loose

As for the tank they have already sorted the problem with much more advanced technology plus the other problem is once you develop a new defeance somebody will always develop a countermeasure or a weapon to beat that form of defence so nothing is every 100%
He wasn`t testing operationally only that the material cannot be penertrated.Do you really think this guy on his budget has beaten the Americans,British with there defeance research bugets this was probably developed years ago and shelved due to inpracticalities.To cover a vehicle in those thick blockes would ridicules and impossible

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Devilwasp l know your only a young guy but please remove you head from your butt

If you need to see a bear up close get a vet to drug it first.Wrestling one not much point in that.So therefore suit total waste of time.Unless you can think of anyother purpose getting hit very hard serves

My point on the fire issue was the guy doesn`t think to well because you wouldn`t set fire to a suit unless you thought it was safe,if he thought that was safe then he does have a few screws loose

As for the tank they have already sorted the problem with much more advanced technology plus the other problem is once you develop a new defeance somebody will always develop a countermeasure or a weapon to beat that form of defence so nothing is every 100%
He wasn`t testing operationally only that the material cannot be penertrated.Do you really think this guy on his budget has beaten the Americans,British with there defeance research bugets this was probably developed years ago and shelved due to inpracticalities.To cover a vehicle in those thick blockes would ridicules and impossible

really my head is in my but? hmm alot of questions spring to mind but the most obvios one would be why?
what use is it drugged if you want to see how they hunt/live etc ? " oh wow its ....its still breatheing wow this has great scientific importance"
so nature study people have no purpose for it and should continue to run a high risk of being eaten?
he didnt know if it was, he was testing it.
also yeah but its the fact it works most of the time that counts.
firstly the many civilain ideas have worked in the military. the military isnt ahead and has thought of everything first.
also did the military think up the engine? did they think up the plane? did they think up the ship?all answers no
if the military has thought of everything then how can they create new things.
and the fact he was pointing out that those small blocks do protect against damage and are smaller and lighter than the same amount of armour and probably cheaper too.
as Cryptosapien said it would be used to line vehicles not put on the outside.
also we're talking about how this would be used Cryptosapien , not to make us look smart.
the military bring in civie companies all the time to make thier equipment.
one man can make a diffrence.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   

really my head is in my but? hmm alot of questions spring to mind but the most obvios one would be why?
what use is it drugged if you want to see how they hunt/live etc ? " oh wow its ....its still breatheing wow this has great scientific importance"
so nature study people have no purpose for it and should continue to run a high risk of being eaten?
he didnt know if it was, he was testing it.
also yeah but its the fact it works most of the time that counts.
firstly the many civilain ideas have worked in the military. the military isnt ahead and has thought of everything first.
also did the military think up the engine? did they think up the plane? did they think up the ship?all answers no
if the military has thought of everything then how can they create new things.
and the fact he was pointing out that those small blocks do protect against damage and are smaller and lighter than the same amount of armour and probably cheaper too.
as Cryptosapien said it would be used to line vehicles not put on the outside.
also we're talking about how this would be used Cryptosapien , not to make us look smart.
the military bring in civie companies all the time to make thier equipment.
one man can make a diffrence.

Your head up your butt prevents your view of the real world

We no everything we need to no about bears.Tyr watch those nature programs by people who invented remote cameras and high power lenses.Do you think a bear will act natural around a guy looking like the Michelin Man

If he didn`t now it wasn`t fire proof surely he could have set fire to it without wearing it first
If you test a bullet proof vest that your not sure is bullet proof you shoot at it first without wearing it
Same with fire NO

When it comes to developing Military equipment they tend to be the first.And l never stated they have developed everything.He has only developed an idea that is in use today in a more practical use but with less protection sure but it is because of practicalities that cause restrictions not lack of ideas.If you gave every soilder that bear suit with the pads attached no soilder would every get killed but you would be able to fight in it or move for that matter.
They may be lighter but they are a least 15-20 thicker than Kevlar plates.Even in the body work of a vehicle they will dramatically increase the vehicles size.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   

We no everything we need to no about bears.Tyr watch those nature programs by people who invented remote cameras and high power lenses.Do you think a bear will act natural around a guy looking like the Michelin Man

If he didn`t now it wasn`t fire proof surely he could have set fire to it without wearing it first
If you test a bullet proof vest that your not sure is bullet proof you shoot at it first without wearing it
Same with fire NO

When it comes to developing Military equipment they tend to be the first.And l never stated they have developed everything.He has only developed an idea that is in use today in a more practical use but with less protection sure but it is because of practicalities that cause restrictions not lack of ideas.If you gave every soilder that bear suit with the pads attached no soilder would every get killed but you would be able to fight in it or move for that matter.
They may be lighter but they are a least 15-20 thicker than Kevlar plates.Even in the body work of a vehicle they will dramatically increase the vehicles size.

ah yes that insult ah ha ha...wheres the need?
we dont know everything about them ,FOOL, we're still learning about them to day.
hell you just as easily say we know everything about war or physics, but the fact is we DONT know it all.
high powered lenses are good sometimes it still doesnt give you the best veiw. oh yeah like thier just going to go right up to it aka 10 feet away , no you fool they'ed do it from a farhter distance but still closer than you can get with a camera.
actually the military doesnt. hell when do you see a military comeing up with a stealth fighter? or computer? no they were civilain companies that made them.
firstly he never wanted to do that, and yes it would look stupid thats not the point i was proveing , you decideing to go off on a tangent, the armour would be useful. if the vehiclee gets slightly larger but is better for urban conditions than so be it,if it works use it.
and also when do you see a kevlar vest protect you against a bloddy 12 gauge at less than 15 yards?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   

This is not really true One important aspect to bear life is hibernation and not everything is known about this dormancy phase.One reason is because no scientist is crazy enough to go into a hibernating bears den and do a test on him and for good reason. If you drug a bear up your messing up the whole test.

And you cant use bears in zoos they are fed year-round, do not hibernate

To remain in good physical condition for months without eating requires change in a bears body chemistry. Some of the physiological changes in healthy hibernating bears would be a real problem for people. How hibernating bears remain healthy in winter and how their physiological adaptations might be useful in human medicine.

This is one of the reasons the suit was made.

[edit on 23-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Shadowxix.
Do you really think walking into a bears cave in this huge suit is going to allow you to stand over the bear and learn everything you need to no about it

Devilwasp.
That is not an insult it is a way of describing the way you view most things.Everytime you write something you try to defend it when it is ridiculous

High power lenses are fine and we have all the abillites to monitor not only animals but humans without there knowledge which allows us to study them.Some people need to spend less time on the net and more time infront of the tv

Civillian companies are conected via the govt either by there board of directors or ex govt workers set up in business and financed to carry out work secretly on behalf of the govt.Most large private security companies in Iraq and elswhere are connected to the govt.David Sterling was on of the top guys who when left the millitary was set up in business by the govt to provide personnel in sensitive areas where the British need a situation dealt with but was unable politically to send conventional troops.The companies involved in making land mines are connected secretly to the govt but the govt wants to be publicly been seen thanks to Diana to not be involved in land mines.
If somebody is within 15 yards of you with a 12 gauge or any other weapon you need to have protection all over you as you are so close they gonna shoot you accueratly in the place you don`t have protection

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Check this out for some facts

Do you think they found out the bears body temp dropping by sticking a thermometor up its butt

You may want to check out Vitaly Nikolaenko who spends 8 months of the year with bears as close as two meters without the need for protection.Close monitoring by gaining the animals trust allows there study more accuratly.Maybe try e-mailing him and giving this guys details to provide him with a suit so he can get closer to fully understand them.
He may give you an expert opinion of were you could put this suit

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
That armour is fantastic. I saw a show a while ago demonstrating his bear suit and was amazed. Does this guy have an official site where his inventions are demonstrated with better video quality?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join