It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walking Dead Q: Why does a bite or scratch turn them into zombies, if everyone's infected anyways?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This has been bugging me for sometime now, is there anyone who read the comics and knows the answer to this?
What's in the bite or scratch from a walker that makes a human turn into one straight away, if everyone's infected with the virus already?
like the last episode, when that woman got bitten in the arm, why was that enough to turn her into one?
Is this just something that was overlooked by the creators of the show or is there a reason?
another question: why is the "governor" such a dick? haha. He seemed a pretty intelligent villain in the beginning of the season, now I cant stand him! Like how he decided to be all-out aggressive with Ricks group, instead of using Andrea to lure them in, he couldn't have known Michonne was with them.
just wondering also how much of the tv show is different from the comics
Why split the season in two? something tells me it's more "profitable" this way, isn't it?
anyways

ok, this is more questions than i originally intended, lol
I hate it when a show I like has so many plot holes and unexplained stuff,

cheers to any answer at all

peace
edit on 3/12/12 by athousandlives because: error correction

edit on 3/12/12 by athousandlives because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by athousandlives

the same thing confused me,i want answers to

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

This is the same idea as when the series started the zombies could smell you, now its all about they hear you.
They changed the premise half way through and lost credibility. The guy who created the comic book stopped consulting early on because of this. AMC is destroying the whole story because they want to keep the series going and to do that they have raped the original story and changed it to suit their needs. Read the comics , not the same at all.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
A "walker" is a rotting corpse. Its covered in bacteria and disease. If it bites you, you get infected with that bacteria and disease and your immune system gets shut down and you die.

Everyone has the virus, but you only "turn" after youre dead.
The virus itself does nothing to you, it simply brings you back from the dead. You die from the infection and lack of medicine, hence how the fat old guy ( Hershel) was able to live after they cut off his bitten leg.

as to the turn of events, this is a tv show. its all about the drama. irrational drama. SO MUCH DRAMA.

edit on 3-12-2012 by TheGrandWarlock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I was told a bite or scratch poisons people...

I don't watch the show... but it looks good

I just can't watch a TV series and play the waiting game... I HATE when i have to wait for the next episode because i always miss them...

Its bad enough i have to wait for the next season of Hells kitchen...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by athousandlives

Walking Dead Q: Why does a bite or scratch turn them into zombies, if everyone's infected anyways?

This has been bugging me for sometime now.......
I'll start off with an apology lol. So, uumm yeah, Sorry.......

[color=D4C18E]That's the only part that bugs you?
It doesn't bother you any that dead people can't actually walk?

Why split the season in two? something tells me it's more "profitable" this way, isn't it?
anyways

That is something I've noticed that seems to be 'the norm' for cable channels. My guess is that one of the reasons they do that is because they have shorter seasons. They don't wanna have an 8-9 month gap between new episodes.

The major Network Channels usually have around 22-24 Episodes per Season, whereas other shows on the cable channels (TNT, USA, A&E, etc...) often have between 10-13 Episodes per season.(The ones I watch anyways)

edit on 12/3/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Everybody in the real world has cancer. Not everyone gets cancer and dies. I view it as the same sort of thing. It is latent or dormant but very opportunistic.

That and creative license, I mean, come one, it is the dead rising and moving despite the lack of functioning circulatory system to cause muscles to contract or flex among MANY many other things. Just enjoy it for the zombies and melodrama.

And the comics are just as melodramatic.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The bite results in death quicker presumably for a number of reasons.

1. You're bit by a re-animated corpse that is obviously in late stages of the infection, probably more aggressive stage.

2. The walker is no doubt carrying hosts of other diseases and infections since I doubt they have an immune system to speak of now, so the body is probably teaming with nasty things living in/on it.

3. The infection the living has is apparently dorment until death because the body is able to fight it off.. so getting yourself seriously injured is probably a death sentence.. especially if it's a bite from one of those foul creatures.

Just my take on it.. Herschel got lucky because they amputated his leg before any new infection could make it's way through his body.
edit on 12/3/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

I will read the comic when I get the chance,

I get that forcing an extension to the lifespan of the story would bring things like this, it always does, I just wish these networks would respect the original material for once (and the viewers intelligence at that)
Even if I hold AMC in high regards thanks to the amazing Breaking Bad.
Thanks for the reply

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Valid points there, thanks, it just seems to happen way too fast from the moment a person is bitten (or even scratched!)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

anyways

Probably indirectly.. I am thinking it's to keep up interest, especially when they have more episodes than some of the other biig shoes... Dexter gets about 12 per season and Walking Dead has 16 this go round.. so rather than risk burning people out .. it's a great idea to split it and end it on a mid-season finale that way.

Keeping your viewership up results in the time slot being more valuable to advertisers, so the end result is definitely more money =)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

reply to post by miniatus

Valid points there, thanks, it just seems to happen way too fast from the moment a person is bitten (or even scratched!)

There's probably tradition involved in that as well .. in the classic zombie flicks a person would turn pretty fast after getting bit .. it's just a nice twist that they have EVERYONE infected .. it means that you know, regardless of how someone dies ( short of a shot in the head ) .. they will turn

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Marid Audran

Haha, I know, I get too involved sometimes....
Wait... what? Everyone has cancer? You mean in a dormant state?
Will I die if I get bitten by a cancer patient? Sick joke sorry.. I had to
Seriously though..?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGrandWarlock

I know! The drama! The horror! It's what us humans crave! I wish it would let go of me so I could spend more time outside

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Haha, I got over the fact that dead people walk after I realized this was a world where people dont have to go to work anymore.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Survivors are all infected with Zombie Virus "1", the original virus. This will reanimate their bodies once they die

Apon Death, the virus reanimates the core of the brain, and the infection turning to Zombie Virus "1.5" due to anything ranging from the lack of white blood cells, coagulated blood, lack of oxygen to the brain, decreased core temperature, or anything else really.

Zombie bites person infected with Virus 1 and spreads the 1.5 virus into the victim.

The one thing that bothers me about TWD, is they always get covered in blood from zombies, but I mean.. c'mon, have you seen the precautions someone takes to other blood transferable viruses, like HIV/AIDS? The second you turned a zombie into crimson soup all over your face, any of that got into an open wound or in your eye, you'd be a zombie.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nostromo85
The one thing that bothers me about TWD, is they always get covered in blood from zombies, but I mean.. c'mon, have you seen the precautions someone takes to other blood transferable viruses, like HIV/AIDS? The second you turned a zombie into crimson soup all over your face, any of that got into an open wound or in your eye, you'd be a zombie.

I have wondered about that too. I guess this is the place where the magic of the theater comes in and you "suspend disbelief"

I live near Atlanta -- yet people still look at me funny when I carry a machete into Kroger, one can not be too prepared.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

I've heard the comic books are really good. But because I love the series so much and I'm not really a stickler for those kinds of details, it's only a TV show anyway, I will hold off 'till the series is over as to not ruin it for me. Got enough ready material for now anyway. But I can hardly wait to start reading the CB though.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mark1167

This is the same idea as when the series started the zombies could smell you, now its all about they hear you.
They changed the premise half way through and lost credibility. The guy who created the comic book stopped consulting early on because of this. AMC is destroying the whole story because they want to keep the series going and to do that they have raped the original story and changed it to suit their needs. Read the comics , not the same at all.

It's like with any show or movie based on a book, it's never as good.

I've never read the comics though.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Maybe biting trigers the "walker". Maybe its like other diseases we have, there are a number of ways to get it. Like you can get sick multiple ways Idn lol. Love the show and the Governor makes me nuts too lol. Thanks for posting!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join