It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputies: Man put kittens in freezer

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by votan
If you think that is bad, you should see how they treat your steaks and chicken before it reaches your dinner table.

There are machines specifically made to kill these critters. Also check out how they live till they die. death is actually the most humane thing they do for them.

they dont care. those are farm animals, not cute pets.

pet lovers have an odd priority of love in the world. they would bait a hook and eat a cheeseburger, but god forbid you hit the horse with those reins to hard.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I am SOOOO glad that they survived!!! Also, it is nice to see taxes used for good, than for the usual bureacratic bull. I couldn't imagine doing something like that to a living thing.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

Glad to know that this is coming from a vegetarian.

Not sure if sarcastic or genuine.

Do you eat any processed foods or animal products (dairy, dyes, etc.)? Just wondering how deep your conviction runs =D

I am not a vegan. I eat animal products, minus meat. As far as conviction goes... I would take it further to be more compatible with my morality but financially I am unable to right now. And morally I choose the well-being of my life over it.

And while eating free range food is probably more healthy than commercial farm raised food, you still didn't answer the question: what is a humane way to kill animals?

I didn't say healthier. My comment shouldn't have been interpreted that way
When they have a life that resembles something they would actually experience in nature, it is, I would hope, clearly more moral than stuffing them in cages in a building. That was my point.

Now as far as answering you question directly. What do you want me to say?? What can you say? I am a vegetarian on a moral ground so I don't approve of the killing to begin with. What is more humane? Quicker I suppose? Certainly not some of the more 'economical' widespread practices like hanging them and slitting their throats until they bleed to death. Still, it's murder and how ethical is murder? I answered the way I did because talking about the life they actually live IMO is what really matters the most concerning their humane treatment.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
its funny, they say you cant pick out a psycho just from looking at them....

really?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

No, I was being serious
I just have a bad habit of writing "lol" and "haha" even when things aren't funny (lol).

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This thread gained a life of its own I see. So many different reactions from gallery here than expected.
. There is a big difference between our "best friend Animals" Dogs and Cats here in the USA, and other types of animals, why is that? Its part of our culture, and hard wired into most of us all through the 1800's-1900's. So most people watch a TV show, and most of us can deal with watching a person get shot on a TV show, over a dog or cat getting shot on a TV show. Its not real, but really goes to show the mental projection we put on these sertin animals. We are connected on a deeper level. Not all of us.. Some of us.

So its a question between the caring and compassion for our comman house hold pets, and those of domesticated chickens, dogs, all farm type animals and how they are treated also.
Its true, and I think that breaks most of our hearts too. And wish animals the world over would be treated a little more compassionate. (Yet most people can not connect with other types of animals like we do our "pet" type creatures. They evolved smaller and cuter for a reason.

On the other hand, there are so many of them, its just impossible to save them all. That is when people cross the line of trying to help, into becoming borderline animal hoarder. As mankind created these little guys, well bred them down into what they are today. Our pet creations are getting smaller and cuter.. As if they where in the wild, they would be getting bigger and meaner, as to protect and survive out there. Our domesticated pets are not built to be out in the wild. (speaking of wolf counter parts--The little dogs, cats.)
There are Feral versions of these types too. Which in big part is an issue with over population.

So I personally have to pick and chose my battles with animal abuse. Its a never ending fight. And sometimes the small wins count more for me, when they add up on eachother.
As there are so many horrors in this world when it comes to animals. It is upsetting and I try not to think about it to often. All I can do is give my couple pets a good life, and they make me happy, hence the compasion I share with our animal counter parts.

I belive if you are going to kill something, you should be eating it. People do eat cats, and people do eat dog. I am okay with that. I am not a vegan. Any type of meat eat should have mercy kills, take them out as fast and clean as possible. Then use that animal as to honor that beast, or creature.(Why christians give thanks before they eat/Many religions and all faiths have ways to honor the animals sacifrice.)

The thing with this story was the guy, he put those kittens in bags, and just stuffed them in the freezer. No mercy kills, like snapping their knecks. No he wanted them to suffer. And to top it off, he was BRAGGING about it to the neibor. That is what got his butt arrested, and kittens saved, as he was being a looney and hurting kittens no bigger than your two hands. What a man
If he was not such a D-bag it would not have gone down like this.

Then we have dude in here, who has made his point about tax stuff.. Okay thanks for your contribution to my thread, can we move on now? Not to mention, seems you have a few stars on your post, so I was not pointing you out directly. Sure you made a good example of my point, but you are not alone in the way you feel. However Scout, you where being very trollish, and did derail this thread into something other than what was intended. This turned into now a debate about how our taxes are abused, and other animal types of abuse that this world suffers.

Just to add, There are many horrors in this world, and so many other humans suffer. Pets being used as test subjects, unclean no mercy killing plants for animals. Science based caged animals. And also all those depressed animals in zoo's and fair shows, that does not fall deaf on my ears, and I understand all that happens.
If I thought about that stuff all the time, I would be very depressed girl, so I try to focus on the lighter side of things.

Do our taxes go to wall street bail outs for billions and billions of dollars. Government robs us blind each week on our paycheck. You would be preaching to the choir about taxes guy. 15% of every week comes out of my paycheck, its frustating, knowing that my money is being used to fund Wall street fat cats. Military industry complexe that murders and kills 1000's of innocent children and women!

Taxes hardly even go to our dying infrastructe, roads, and transport.. All the things that are state funded is on a whole different level anyway. So as I said before, there is so much absue of the use of our tax money that this falls into maybe 0.00001%.
Its sad to know, people are more concerned about 0.00001% of their taxes to go to something as wonderful as saving 3 baby kittens, that who knows, may find a home where that cat grows up to be a family member of a caring family.

We can not save them all, but can we atleast try to save the ones we can save?
Its a form of natural selection, but done by mans hand. We are the ones who get to pick and chose what animals we can help.

But then you have groups like PETA, who IMO are freaking crazy, over the top animal right advocates.
So its more of a balanced feeling I have about things. I can understand many points of view when it comes to animals place in the cycle.

Its just sometimes I feel we as a human race are not part of a higher system, where we are the stock, we are being farmed. As it would be a huge irony that the reason humans are here, is under the context of being exploited as we exploit the animals of our world. We treat other human beings worse than we do some animals, so it comes as food for thought when thinking about even the bigger picture.
edit on 5-12-2012 by zysin5 because: added thoughts...no spell check, spell check isle 4 please..BR>>>

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
man thats terrible...im not one of those huge PETA type animal cruelty opposing people but really, animal cruelty is wrong in any from. This here just makes me sad. Poor kittens

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This infuriates me so! At first I thought maybe these were new born and in some twisted way he was trying to euthanize them. I thought ...?? Wow, so wrong. These babies were probably already weened! There are plenty of rescue options available. Full of fleas? They make kitten flea collars and if he can afford beer he can get collars!
Worst part is how they were found! Why would he be so cruel to let this woman know how sick he is!

I have hand raised orphan kittens from hours after their birth and it was one of the best experiences in my life.

I am sure of two good things. One, the surviving kittens will now get wonderful forever homes and two, my children's love of animals will make them responsible pet owners.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rubicant13

...kittens are defenseless to many forms of abuse that can be brought against them.

So are ants. So are deer. So are fish. The difference? Kittens are more strongly acquainted with the human species. An emotional connection exists whereas with ants, deer, and fish, it does not.

The guy you were arguing with is entitled to his opinion just as you are. I love animals too. I have 3 cats, 2 kittens, and 2 dogs. But you just need to realize that your argument is purely an emotional one. If it had been an ant, you wouldn't have given 2 sh**s about it.

That said, if the guy was doing this out of pleasure, then yes, he's most likely a sociopath, and needs some type of serious treatment. If, however, he was taught this behavior by his parents as a method of humane euthanasia (it was, afterall, a fairly common method back in the day), then he just needs to be reminded that society frowns upon such behavior nowadays, and punish him accordingly.

I don't know if any of you have read further into the story, but there had been a domestic violence situation the day before in that same residence, resulting in his room-mate (the owner of the kittens) being carted off to jail for the foreseeable future. So really, maybe the dude just didn't wanna take care of a bunch of kittens and tried to think of the best way to euthanize them. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Of course, a much wiser option would have been to try and find a home for them, or drop them off at the animal shelter.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
My feelings are purely emotional on this. I have 9 rescue cats. I've been a cat person all my life, and in my older years have become the classic "crazy cat lady".

When I see people mistreating cats, I go ballistic.

That creep that put kittens in a plastic bag and then put them in the freezer, to suffocate and freeze to death, should be thankful that I don't live in Florida, because I'd be waiting for his sorry butt when he walked out of the jailhouse.

I cannot stand cruelty in any form, for anything alive that has feelings (I even feel bad when trees are cut down and weeds are uprooted), but cats have a special place in my heart.

This goes beyond logic for me, and I make no apologies for that. Somebody has to stand up for the weak, the helpless, and the abused. Those that are cruel and abusive towards animals lose my respect, and I consider them to be the enemy.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by Philippines

Glad to know that this is coming from a vegetarian.

Not sure if sarcastic or genuine.

Do you eat any processed foods or animal products (dairy, dyes, etc.)? Just wondering how deep your conviction runs =D

I am not a vegan. I eat animal products, minus meat. As far as conviction goes... I would take it further to be more compatible with my morality but financially I am unable to right now. And morally I choose the well-being of my life over it.

And while eating free range food is probably more healthy than commercial farm raised food, you still didn't answer the question: what is a humane way to kill animals?

I didn't say healthier. My comment shouldn't have been interpreted that way
When they have a life that resembles something they would actually experience in nature, it is, I would hope, clearly more moral than stuffing them in cages in a building. That was my point.

Now as far as answering you question directly. What do you want me to say?? What can you say? I am a vegetarian on a moral ground so I don't approve of the killing to begin with. What is more humane? Quicker I suppose? Certainly not some of the more 'economical' widespread practices like hanging them and slitting their throats until they bleed to death. Still, it's murder and how ethical is murder? I answered the way I did because talking about the life they actually live IMO is what really matters the most concerning their humane treatment.

Heya, of course I am glad the comment is coming from someone who makes the effort to not eat meat, it holds much more weight, which is why I was curious on how far you go to avoid animal products. I'm not here to judge, and I know we are on a completely set of circumstances in our lives. Also my reading about healthy/unhealthy was wrong after looking back =b

As for a humane way of killing animals, exactly. Good question. In today's progressive society, many "civilized" people don't even know what is in the food they eat, let alone how to cook/create anything with raw food ingredients.

I think the Jews/Muslims have a good practice on slaughtering (absent pigs and other "unclean") animals so the animal, like a chicken, dies without feeling any pain. To my limited knowledge this is done with a sharp knife and a perfect incision to cut the spinal cord while the animal feels no pain. This way the meat is less tough as well since the animal's muscles do not tense up in panic.

Glad to know you still eat some animal products, they do contain important nutrients veggies can't provide!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join