It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What should the protocols be when sourcing a story or a personal account?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
What should the protocols be when sourcing a story or a personal account?

Maybe it's a bit redundant to ask for these two different protocols for basically the same thing, but I believe that perhaps the difference can add or subtract details and/or protocols depending on the situation.

When it comes to protocol when sourcing the mainstream media, what do you think would be adequate in regards to your assuredness that the story is true. Do (or can) you gauge your assuredness and if so by what standardes do you have in measuring this?

When it comes to protocal when it comes to persnal accounts, what do you think would be adequate in regards to your assuredness that the story is true. Do (or can) you gauge your assuredness and if so by what standards do you have in measuring this?

I'm curious as to how much evidence a person must give in order for others to observe an account as true or false. Does the subject matter or not? If so why?

I do understand that every person's opinion is subjective to their reality (that is to say that what a person experiences determines their reality). Therefore each will have different ways to measure what truth is and will make a difference in regards to both MSM and personal accounts.

So what is enough to make you believe whether something is true or false and what needs to be included?

-AS-
edit on 3-12-2012 by AeonStorm because: grammar error

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
You can post personal accounts in the Gray Area.

Although, if you are trying to present a factual account of events to the best of your abilities, instead of simply posting your account, you can also link information from news sources, or other public media to give the reader a information that coincides with your story.

At the end of the day it is simply a personal account, but it's really no different than someone writing a report in any given field. You may link other people's personal accounts of the event, or official reports as well, to give better understanding.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

Well a personal account or story, I would try to provide what evidence I could. Otherwise I would just state that it happened to me personally and everyone could believe it or not.

Like this: Zombie Cannibal Squirrel Apocalypse

As far as stuff from the media, it depends what it it is.
Political?
I would get a source from the Left, Right, and then an alternative media source.

Science, Technology, or anything of that nature?
I try to find as many sources as possible to use.

I also try to search ATS for any relevant threads that might pertain to the subject matter. Also any personal experience or insight I might have on the topic.

This is just stuff that I do. I'm sure others here have far more efficient systems than I.
edit on 3-12-2012 by watchitburn because: Zombie Cannibal Squirrel Apocalypse

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AeonStorm

I'm curious as to how much evidence a person must give in order to observe something as true or false. Does the subject matter or not? If so why?

If it's your own information, don't lie and be prepared to be scrutinised.

If it is from an outside source, always consider it could be lies.

Ultimately, only an individual with first hand knowledge can tell truth from false.....even then, we are human and fallable.
edit on 3/12/2012 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
You can post personal accounts in the Gray Area.

Although, if you are trying to present a factual account of events to the best of your abilities, instead of simply posting your account, you can also link information from news sources, or other public media to give the reader a information that coincides with your story.

At the end of the day it is simply a personal account, but it's really no different than someone writing a report in any given field. You may link other people's personal accounts of the event, or official reports as well, to give better understanding.

You sort of missed the point Bancho. What would make a story or personal account true for YOU. Do you have protocols in order to define what is true for yourself?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Does anyone have something more in-depth in regards to what is necessary to prove to themselves or others what is true or not?

There are a few good responses, so far, but I was hoping for more.

Does anyone, say, have a scientific method that they follow?

Could there even be such a thing?

-AS-
edit on 3-12-2012 by AeonStorm because: added grammar

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

You sort of missed the point Bancho. What would make a story or personal account true for YOU. Do you have protocols in order to define what is true for yourself?

Yep, okay I guess I did miss the point. So this is about what someone else says to us and what it takes for us to believe their account yea?

My apologies for the confusion, I think I messed up on this line:

I'm curious as to how much evidence a person must give in order for others to observe an account as true or false. Does the subject matter or not? If so why?

So I would say it would come down to character profile and whether or not the person had incentive or visible bias in their account of the event or story.

Say for instance someone from the union is telling a story about the boss. The boss is telling a story about the union. The insurance adjuster is telling a story about both the union and the boss.

All three would have different accounts and motives. I guess I wouldn't really look for "truth" so-to-speak other than try and understand where all three stories are coming from, and the incentives that might dictate how they tell them.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AeonStorm
Does anyone have something more in-depth in regards to what is necessary to prove to themselves or others what is true or not?

There are a few good responses, so far, but I was hoping for more.

Does anyone, say, have a scientific method that they follow?

Could there even be such a thing?

-AS-
edit on 3-12-2012 by AeonStorm because: added grammar

I think it's subjective. Professional accounts are reliable in only that they give you a certain bit of information that is reflective of their respective certifications or qualifications.

Example: A person from a neighbourhood is being attacked and shoots someone in self defence. The police look at him as a suspect. Maybe someone in the neighbourhood was being attacked previously by that person, so they see them as a hero. The family of that person sees them as a murderer. Life is pretty subjective no?

top topics

join