It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Biggest Lie in Medicine: The Cholesterol Conspiracy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by robhines

Awesome finds, robhines! Most cardiologists are aware of this cholesterol deception. The science is old and quite flawed, as the video demonstrated. Just throw out the data that doesn't fit the conclusion, and publish the revised study to try and support the hypothesis.

Heart disease and cancer running rampant through a population is a recent phenomenon, as are everyday wheat products (heavily glutinized now thanks to breeding manipulation since the 1960s) and sugar.

How sad that cholesterol is getting a bad rap when the obvious causes are right in front of us.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Your story bolsters the fact that low cholesterol means a lowered immune system, and statins make you feel like crap, tired and brain-fogged.

Thankfully you were able to get off of them, if only by the serendipity of your not being able to afford them anymore.

I was reading in an article this evening that the FDA recently made the makers of statins to add "memory loss" to their list of side effects (which are quite long, BTW).

Thanks for sharing your story.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

Yup, there is a definite downgrade in cognitive abilities when taking these drugs. I think, with proper nutrition, you should get at least most of your mental faculties back where they were before.

But your story begs the question: How many elderly people are being put away for having Alzheimer's Disease, when their real problem are the statin drugs they're taking? My mother-in-law is really sliding downhill mentally since she started on statins. For instance, last week was my birthday. Always sharp as a tack, this year, she bought me a small shirt, like something that would fit on a child.

She was confused and asked, "You do wear a small, don't you?" I had to say, "Not since I was in Junior High". She just cannot think clearly anymore. I find it so sad, but she is of the generation who believes that doctors are like Gods and we don't question them, we do what they say, and take the drugs they say to take.

Best of luck on getting back on track!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
A doctor who is the Director of the woman's Cardiac Center in Rhode Island came out with a book that pretty much explains how statins are useless.

The Truth About Statins

Some Japanese doctors are speaking out on how their findings are that people with high cholesterol, actually live longer.

weeksmd

My panel has started coming back high about a year ago. I was given statins, it gave me gastointestinal trouble, I stopped taking it and never took it again, nor will I.

edit on 4-12-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Two excellent links, Nixie! Thanks for those.

It makes sense that a higher cholesterol level can help a person live longer, as it is the precursor to create Vitamin D, one of the most important vitamins the body needs for proper immune function. The more vitamin D one has, the better the chance of survival.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well, it's way past my bedtime here in Texas. Please, if anybody else wants to post on this thread, feel free. I'll be back on tomorrow morning. Thank you all for your participation (so far) in this thread, and the posts were excellent. The anecdotal evidence and stories concerning people's reactions to statins are important, because if it is that rough on the body, it isn't worth taking.

And the reasons they're prescribing it are shaky, at best. As I stated earlier, my mother went off statins after her liver started to shut down. Her doctor then put her on niacin (B vitamin) and she is doing much better, without the side effects.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

I'm sorry but what? Every medical journal has stated cholesterol is a factor in heart disease, they simply have not been able to isolate the excat mechanism for this. It's akin to the problem of physics of knowing gravity exists but being unable to tell you the excat particle which cause this force.

It is the spin of the Earth that creates gravity, not a particle.

The most indepth study of the causes of heart disease, the

Almost every study has shown LDL levels under 150 are protective against heart disease. I have familial high cholesterol and I can tell you it's not a joke.

What studies?

The average age of death for someone with my condition is 55. You can be completely symptom free and one day just drop dead. This is especially true for women.

Which does not prove it is cholesterol.

If grains, and sugars were so bad then how in the hell are Asians so thin and long lived when their diets are so heavily based on starchy food? Their heart attacks rates are much lower than ours and they are prodigious rice eaters (and not the brown kind either).

For one, their diets are not that heavily starchy, there is a lot of meat and vegetables. Also, they eat healthy parts of the meat like the bone marrow.
It is called ethnicity and genetics. The Asians have adapted the proper enzymes to digest these foods because they still live on the same continent as they have had for 1000s of years.

Europeans can't eat starchy foods, it causes a blood sugar spike. One cause considered for the obesity epidemic is that people eat foods that they shouldn't have access too. Europeans shouldn't be eating mangos. Native Americans didn't have an obesity and diabetes problem until they were introduced to white flour.

Asians live longer eating rice because the rest of the diet is highly nutritious, they get a lot of exercise, and genetics simply allow them to live longer.

Hell, a close friend of mine came off insulin by cutting out all animal foods and going raw. The amount of fruit he eats is insane.
edit on 3-12-2012 by antonia because: added a thought

What does insulin have to do with cholesterol? You are comparing two different conditions.

edit on 4-12-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I'm on symvastatin.
I was put on it after I had a stroke but I never had high cholesterol and still don't.
Last year my daughter picked up my prescription of it and the head pharmacist said to get your mother off this. It's bad. The statins that is. I told my doctor what the pharmacist said and he got so angry saying he had no right, who is he, I will get him fired. I didn't divulge his name. I asked why I take it then. He said its so I don't have another stroke. I skip a day taking it. I don't get why I am on it, but they make me fear another stroke I guess. I hate my effing doctor. I didn't even choose him and when I ask for another at his office they say no can do. Why?
I went to another doctor in town and my doctor said " you really shouldn't be seeing other doctors". Oh yeah?
I don't have high blood pressure either. I don't take meds for that.

That would be so wrong for them to put it in drinking water. I don't drink my tap water.

As a side note, my father has excellent cholesterol levels and eats bacon and greasy fried eggs every day. He is 83 and healthy.

ETA
I should have mentioned the pharmacist said the statins can cause muscle issues and I get a lot of spasms or spasticity and it could be causing this, so I went off them for couple of months, but I still had spasms and went back on them, but skip days.

edit on 4-12-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

S&F for bringing this to our attention. I have posted a new thread in response. I did not want the info buried.
Heart disease and inflammation are such widespread problems.

My ATS thread on this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

The other problem is when one is in ill health their cholesterol naturally plummets as their food intake does as well and this can explain why people with lower cholesterol die earlier-They were already sick

Source?

You mean to tell me that every person who died of heart disease was sick?

Now you are just pulling stuff out of your ear.

Especially when you mentioned in your last post that people will drop over from a heart attack with no symptoms whatsoever.

Heck, after heart attacks most people actually have lower cholesterol.

Source?

I linked a very long explanation already.

You linked to a long youtube video, which isn't a valid source, and a video that is too long for anyone to watch. A valid source is needed.

You can take it or leave it, but the Framingham heart study does implicate LDL cholesterol as a risk factor for heart disease.

Where?

I'm not sure you were reading the same data as everyone else has been. The Framingham study has never been used to disprove the lipid hypothesis.

Show me where it hasn't.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Quite synchronistic,that i see this thread for the first time today-i had to go to the doc for i the second time this year,i tend to avoid docs but a woman should have a Pap smear and gynae checkup once every 18 months at least,at my age,which is in my 40's.Now this time,i figured my heart was seriously acting up,fluttering like a bird in my chest,a sore "bruised" feel to it,and extending up into my neck+ear,left side,also a feeling of being about to hyperventilate.I felt that warranted a check-up.So,she listened to my heart,got me on the treadmill connected to the little ECG machine,with before and after-exertion result results(sorry :-) i know im describing it in a clumsy way). After perusing the readout she told me that my heart is strong,bt she's worried about my cholesterol.I told her i eat Lots of fruit,100% juice+water,hardly ever soda+suchlike,veggies,very little meat,usually wholewheat bread,etc-this is a way of life for us,i go out of my way to avoid anything with preservatives,chemicals and suchlike,in feeding my family.Our diet is based on simple,pure foods that a human body's genetic make-up is primed to recognise as nutrition,eg yoghurt as dairy,potato as carbohydrates,chicken as protein,i don't allow anything down our gullets,in general,thats not plain,simple and natural.Still,she said,healthy eating,while a wise thing, has in itself no bearing on one's cholesterol level-that is genetic.So im supposed to go for a blood test to check my Chol levels,also to check for iron+sugar levels and thyroid function.Im gonna have to find a homeopathic way to reduce my Chol levels then,if they Are bad. I try to avoid chemical medication like the plague,i only take headache pills,when i have bronchitis,eg i let it run its course.Takes longer than if i would treat it with antibiotics,but it does pass,leaving me none the worse for wear.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
some years ago I read that those cholesterol numbers where chosen completely at random.
When they randomly chose those numbers for what is high and what is normal cholesterol levels, they had no scientific evidence or even circumstantial evidence to suggest that people with higher cholesterol levels have a higher risk of heart attacks. They basically pulled those numbers out of a hat and started prescribing statins to people who had levels above the random number that they chose as being normal levels.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
When it comes to this stuff, Gary Taubes book, 'The Diet Delusion' is my bible. It has a different name in the USA I think it is called 'Good Calories, Bad Calories'.
Also the must see documentary FatHead where a guy does the "Supersize Me" diet and loses weight and lowers his cholesterol. It's funny too. You gotta see it.
2 FatHead trailers and the whole documentary below that.

Here is the whole FatHead documentary - 1h44m41s

edit on 4/12/2012 by Lucas73 because: added another trailer

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
yep, it is a myth .. well to a degree .. we do need cholesteral but at the same time it has to be moderated. A bit of everything is fine and needed to function correctly. The real killer is, basically ANYTHING processed and yes sugars or an overdose on sugars. If you live on water, fruit juice, oily fish, oats, beans, nuts, fruit, a small amount of meat, small amount of dairy, small amount of bread you will feel alot better mind and body! After doing this for a while junk food etc starts to taste like exactly what it is .. junk ! I would love to see people the world over moderating what they eat, stop over eating, stop eating processed food and get it off the shelves... it seems to be laziness that stops this.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

I have got to make my husband read this thread! He won't believe me that the blasted meds are bad.

S&F for making people aware of a very important issue! These days, they want to medicate practically everything. I figure, if you can live without the med, don't take it. I do take some - asthma - but they really make a HUGE difference in my breathing. I can see meds to fix a thyroid problem or something, too. High BP, even, if needed. So much, though, that they medicate for, isn't necessary at all. Cholesterol being a HUGE one. Some mental issues, another. Come on, medications for anyone with bad days? Maybe they have real reasons to feel down? "No problem, we have a pill for that!"

What are they really trying, with all these drugs? Can it be JUST about the money?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Strange how this topic comes up now!

You see, the doctor has my father in law on 8 different meds a day. One is for cholesterol. I don't think he needs this, and neither does he. He won't go against his doctor and say anything. He eats extremely healthy, and takes care of himself, but year after year the dr keeps him on this medication. His numbers are good, but they keep him on it.

The other day I was looking up remedies for him that are more natural. There are quite a bit of things one can do naturally and I agree the pharma companies just want $$

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I think I have posted about it before, but it's so interesting to look at family photos before HFCS started being used. Almost everyone on both sides of my family are relatively small built and thin, or stocky, tall, and not overweight. In photos I was looking at recently dated 1970's - 1985, every one was so small. I was pointing out to my aunt, "Gee, everyone is so little, and their legs are skinny" and she said "Yeah, that's before high fructose corn syrup". I think she has a point there. A lot of people in my family are overweight now, and their children are over weight.

I had an auntie who lived to 92 years old. She died of old age. Never had a heart attack, high blood pressure, blood sugar problem, or a lot of pain. Her secret? She didn't eat out. If she did, it was maybe a couple times a year and not fast food. She never ate fast food. She worked her own garden, canned, ate mostly veggies. She did consume meat, but she bought that from friends who sold organic beef and chicken. She ate the old fashioned way and consumed a lot of tomatoes.

When she passed, she died from an infection that spread from a UTI.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

I wrote a post similar to this, all my facts came from the movie Fathead.

Anyway, most people who have heart attacks actually have LOW cholesterol. So when they tell you to lower it, they actually are killing you. Your body makes cholesterol if you don't take it in, so by cutting down, you aren't doing anything.

Don't take in LOW saturated fat, take HIGH saturated fat and try not to eat much of the other fats; trans fat is the worst though.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Star for you OP.
One of the reasons why the Paleo life choice helps keep the balance.
and no sugars

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by antonia

. While some lipids may damage, it's absurd to think the minimal cholesterol we intake is the main factor in this inflammation process.]

Minimal cholesterol? Really, you do know the diet of the average american right? There is nothing minimal about their intake. Anything above what your own body produces is simply excess. I did not say cholesterol was the main factor in this inflammation.

I challenge you to provide evidence that the average american diet provides more cholesterol intake than what our liver produces. If this isn't the case, your reasoning is bunk and mine still stands. Our liver will synthesize less, and gut absorb less as it sees fit.
edit on 4-12-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join