It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voyager 1 detects unpredicted new realm at edge of Solar System: Magnetic Highway

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Voyager will hit the truth.

And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

Prepare for the real world.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Again, this is AFAWK, but I don't think that this is an explicit property of the interstellar medium as a whole but a result from it's interaction with the sun's heliosphere.

Correct.
As I mentioned previously it is a connection between the IMF (interplanetary magnetic field, carried by the solar wind) and interstellar magnetic fields (carried by clouds of interstellar plasma). Just as the Earth's magnetic field connects with the IMF, the IMF connects with the interstellar fields. This allows charged particles to enter and leave the heliosphere similar to the way charged particles enter and leave the magnetosphere.

The "highway" doesn't carry anything but charged particles.

Researchers say Voyager 1 is now in a region where the sun's magnetic field lines are connected to interstellar magnetic field lines. The connection creates an avenue between the solar system and the space outside, allowing low-energy particles from inside the heliosphere to stream out and allows cosmic rays from interstellar space to pass inside. Scientists call the connection a magnetic highway because the magnetic field lines allow particles to freely flow in and out of the heliosphere.

www.spaceflightnow.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
How far can this thing go before it loses contact? There must be an end to this eventually, right?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by rkingpin
what if it is an actual protective layer for the solar system, like a bubble membrane. if the voyager pierces this membrane the bubble could pop and the solar system could come into problems?

Whilst it doesn't appear as a physical membrane, it is the edge of the Heliosheath and an area where particles from the Galaxy are able to enter the Heliosphere, these are highly charged particles, more than the charges of the Sun's particles, and for the outer flow of particles from the Heliosphere in to the Galaxy.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakus
One imporant aspect: This is a "layer" of sorts, it's not an actual "path" that extends outwards.
As far as we know it is one of the layers that mediate the exchange of energy and matter between the Sun's medium and the interstellar medium.

Again, this is AFAWK, but I don't think that this is an explicit property of the interstellar medium as a whole but a result from it's interaction with the sun's heliosphere.

As I quoted in the very first lines of the OP, it is a layer. There is no pretense in the OP, I hope you didn't detect any. The article states this very clearly.

OP quote:

Voyager 1, in particular, has entered a new region of the heliosphere that scientists are calling a "magnetic highway," which allows charged particles from inside the heliosphere to flow outward, and particles from the galaxy outside to come in. "We do believe this may be the very last layer between us and interstellar space," Edward Stone, Voyager project scientist based at the California Institute of Technology, in Pasadena, Calif., said during a teleconference with reporters. "This region was not anticipated, was not predicted."

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

The first machine that NASA will have to disconnect because of lack of power in Voyager 1 will be 2020 and it can power others until 2025.

www.space.com...

The Voyagers are NASA's longest-running spacecraft, and will keep traveling outward even after they've left the sun's neighborhood. However, it will be at least 40,000 years before they ever come close to another star, Stone said.

Long before that the probes will run out of power to operate their scientific instruments and beam their findings back home.

"We will have enough power for all the instruments until 2020; at that point we will have to turn off our first instrument," Stone said. By 2025 the last instrument will have to be turned off.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Well, that's going to be a sad bummer day for all those involved I would guess. 2020 is not very far off

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Hi,
My comment was in relation to a previous post where someone said, or asked, if this could be relevant to interstellar travel.
It wasn't directed at the OP, which is quite informative.

Cheers.

edit on 4/12/2012 by drakus because: in english "at" and "to" are apparently NOT the same thing.... Damn gringos...

edit on 4/12/2012 by drakus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrkn4livn
The first thing that strikes me is that something has traveled through these areas causing the particles to move in the direction of whatever traveled through there was going. Is it possible that the Voyager happened to fly through the interstellar highways the various alien species are using to enter our solar system?

I guess it isn't yet known per se if interstellar vehicles use this ''Magnetic Highway'' of highly charged particles as a method / route for travel into / beyond the Solar System.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth

The first thing that strikes me is that something has traveled through these areas causing the particles to move in the direction of whatever traveled through there was going. Is it possible that the Voyager happened to fly through the interstellar highways the various alien species are using to enter our solar system?

I guess it isn't yet known per se if interstellar vehicles use this ''Magnetic Highway'' of highly charged particles as a method / route for travel into / beyond the Solar System.

Well if they used this "highway" they wouldn't go too far...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

Well, that's going to be a sad bummer day for all those involved I would guess. 2020 is not very far off

The Voyagers are amazing and have made physics altering new models and very important discoveries, it would be so awesome if they could somehow be refuelled. I guess as they were launched in 1977, the tech involved is perhaps not as advanced as today. If they could have been magnetism fueled there would be contact for perhaps hundreds of years, physical means withstanding.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakus

Well if they used this "highway" they wouldn't go too far...

While it might sound like something referencing the term 'highway', it is more in reference to the infinite POSSIBILITIES of there being interstellar travel traversing this area of the Solar System as an entry point, or utilising the highly charged particles somehow.

I think the key to visualising potentials in science is in the deconstructing preconceived notions, in this instance the traditional methods of travel as a physical entity requiring physical fuel as on Earth. There are all sorts of possibilites of conscious / intelligent particles, as per Quantum physics that could be entering via this ''Magnetic Highway''.

Please note, I said possibilites, science is full of possibilities and is the basis of exploration.

www.arpast.org...

Bohm says that "a particle has a rich and complex inner structure which can respond to information and direct it's self-motion accordingly". This is more evident in more massive particles and condensates which behave as super particles. Zohar says there is no reason to deny that any structure - biological or otherwise, that contained a (BoseEinstein) condensate might possess the capacity for consciousness. A single isolated particle would have some degree of consciousness (or awareness of the environment). However, low-energy and low-frequency elementary particles (as described currently in the physicists' "Standard Model") easily lose their property of consciousness when they become entangled with other particles and decoherence sets-in. This state is analogous to the state of a demagnetized metal object. Although all the individual atoms are in a sense magnets, no magnetic fields are observed. However, once the atoms in the metal object become aligned with their north and south poles pointing in the same direction they begin to exhibit the property of magnetism.

Quantum Metaphysics: Particle Memory

Particle Memory In 1959, physicist Richard Feynman pointed out that all the words written throughout the history of the world could be contained in a cube of material one tenth of a millimeter wide - provided those words were written with atoms. Now, scientists have done just that, creating an atomic-scale memory by using atoms of silicon in place of the 1s and 0s that computers use to store data. Scientists at the University of Wisconsin at Madison have been able to read and write at room temperature to a memory unit that uses a single atom to store a bit. The memory density of this memory unit is comparable to the way nature stores data in DNA molecules. How much information can an atom store? Scientists have written the word "OPTICS" on a single atom, demonstrating the huge information capacity that exists even in an individual hydrogen atom. This was done by sending one of its electrons into a "Rydberg state", in which it no longer exists as a cloud of charge enshrouding the nucleus but instead becomes a 'wave packet' that circles the atomic nucleus like a planet around the Sun. By applying a series of pulses a set of wave packets can be created that combine with each other like water waves and cancel each other out at specific places to form patterns around the atom. Carlos Stroud of the University of Rochester and Michael Noel of the University of Virginia point out that an electron in an n=50 Rydberg state has 2,500 possible states of angular momentum which can be combined in various ways - evidencing the enormous potential for even elementary particles to store and transport vast amounts of information. Can a person's memory with all its visual, audio, tactile and other information be conveyed in a wave-particle? It is remarkable that however complicated a wave, it can be described as a combination of many simple sine waves of various frequencies and amplitudes. This is how an entire orchestra can be heard from the single vibrating cone of a loud speaker. When switched on and off at irregular intervals, or modulated in intensity or in frequency, waves can carry a large amount of information. The higher the frequency the greater the amount of information the wave may encode. Storing memory in wave interference patterns is remarkably efficient, and would be able to accommodate the vastness of human memory. For example, holographic encoding of wave-interference patterns would enable all of the books in the US Library of Congress to fit onto a large sugar cube

edit on 4-12-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

To some peoples and individuals, magnetism plays a way bigger part in our universe than most would think.

The Mayans for one, were well aware of magnetism and how it effected everything around them, not only on earth but the whole universe. They had their own theories of how our solar system is held together by magnetism. All over mesoamerica they have found both Olmec and Mayan statues possessing magnetic properties. Some of the statues (some are just heads) are magnetically polarised with the exact centre of the nose attracting a compass needle, the mid section repelling the needle and the end section away from the nose, attracting the south end of a compass needle. They have also found in these areas naturally magnetic square metal fragments that when placed in water (with a small float of some kind) they point to magnetic north.

There was also a man named Colonel James Churchward, who at the ripe age of 75 decided to publish a curious set of books entitled The Lost Continent of Mu in 1926 (I personaly own and have read). In these books the author claims to have befriended an Indian priest, who taught him to read an ancient dead language (spoken by only three people in all of India). The priest disclosed the existence of several ancient tablets, written by the Naacals (the people of this lost continent), and Churchward gained access to these records after overcoming the priest's initial reluctance. According to Churchward, Mu extended from somewhere north of Hawaii to the south as far as the Fijis and Easter Island. Its civilization, which flourished 50,000 years ago, was technologically more advanced than our own, and the ancient civilizations of India, Babylon, Persia, Egypt and the Mayas were merely the decayed remnants of its colonies. The fascinating part is that appearantly these Naacals were well aware of magnetism and considered to be not only the buildings blocks to life here on Earth but for the creation of the entire universe. They had their own "creation of the universe' story with many symbols and designs to represent magnetism and its properties.

Then there was also the famous Ed Leedskalnin, who had created Coral Castle all by his lonesome (He was a 100 pound Latvian immigrant and some of the coral blocks weighed 9 tonnes) with the help of what he claimed was the secret of the Egyptians which he had apperantly deciphered. He claimed our gravity is caused by our Earths magnetic field and made many claims about magnetism and how it effects the whole Universe. He also claimed that ley lines were apart of this magnetic grid. Many ancient structures are built on areas where these supposed lines intersect (known as vortices or vortex) like Stonehenge, Mayan pyramids, Coral Castle itself and the Pyramids of Giza apperantly being on the biggest (which is also considered the exact center of the Earth's land mass). Leedskalnin conducted many magnetic experiments and had many theories which our still being studied and practiced today by his ongoing family.

That's just to list a few...hopefully you found it interesting...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ArchaicDesigns

Thank you, that's a whole load of very interesting information, I will look into some of those, I hadn't heard of a lot of these.

I do think, and science does too that magnetism is essential in the encoding of information of life and hence probably at least instrumental in the formation of. As altering the magnetism of a particle is essential to enable waveform encoding, it stands to reason that it is essential.

www.arpast.org...

According to quantum electrodynamics, particles are basically excitations in a field. Hence, all particles have fields associated with them and all fields have particles associated with them. Fields associated with (conscious) super particles would exhibit consciousness and intelligent behavior. Conscious fields would not have any form - in the way that a physical, tangible object has. Conscious Waves As quantum physics has shown, elementary particles also behave as waves - depending on the experimental set-up. Bose-Einstein condensates can behave as super particles - and therefore also as waves. If a gas is cooled to a few millionth of a degree above absolute zero, the atoms lose their identity as individual particles (analogous to what happens in a plasma) and behave as a single entity, a kind of "super atom" with characteristics similar to a laser. They then take on the weirdness of quantum objects - including wave-particle duality and the ability to quantum-tunnel out from one place to another. Conscious particles can therefore also propagate as waves.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
fotgive me dumbness here but, how does it work exactly?

Is it still transmitting pictures?
what does the data look like when it is received back on eath?

Since they are showing animations i am guessing theres no real pics? if theres no real pictures how does it "see" so to speak? how do scientists back on earth know whats there
edit on 4-12-2012 by SkuzzleButt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SkuzzleButt

Voyager 1's active instruments
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Field Lines are no more real than lines of longitude and latitude on a map. They are just indicators not real tangible things.

Voyager has discovered the Sun's double layer.
www.plasma-universe.com...

It is not a mechanical effect of pressure or anything like that, there is no wind in space. The standard model is wrong. NASA may be surprised but some of us were expecting it.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Very interesting to say the least.. has anyone entertained the Idea that the voyager leaving the solar system could in some way Correlate with the Dec 21st long count end? Whether it is information transmitted back that changes everything in a positive light/ unites mankind. Or to play devils advocate for all you pessimists, an Alien entity tracks its trajectory back to earth? lol

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Electric. Universe.

I wonder if the bubble of particles is natural or artificial? Maybe once Voyager breaks through someone will be notified.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

it wasn't predicted

Haha oh yeah really? I guess you only read articles from NASA and the Bad Astronomy forum then, huh?
edit on 4-12-2012 by Riposte because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join