It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy!! Children In Indonesia Risk Their Lives Everyday Just To Get To School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

A group of Indonesian school children have been filmed crossing a collapsed suspension bridge over a swollen river to reach their school.

Students are risking their lives to get to their school in the Indonesian village of Sanghiang Tanjung after three suspension bridges in the district of Lebak collapsed due to flooding.

The 162-metre-long bridge that connected Ciwaru village to Sabagi village was severely damaged in the floods, giving children few options of getting to class on time.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Another crazy "bridge" in Indonesia.

Children in Indonesia are risking their lives everyday just to get to school.

They use an aqueduct, suspended hundreds of metres above the ground as a shortcut, even though it was not built for people to walk on.

It is meant to transport water, but the wooden structure links Suro Village and Plempungan Village in Java.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

The first vid is CRAZY! And I thought crossing the street was scary when I was a little kid. lol....

Hopefully it will get fixed.... It can't cost that much to build a secure bridge. It is a shame the world uses so much wealth to bomb bridges instead of building them.
edit on 3-12-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

Wow, quite an obstacle to education, but its quite inspiring to see them push through it.

Makes you wonder if lazy kids in western countries would do the same? I am pretty sure they would just stay home and eat some Cheetos

edit on 3-12-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Though it is sad in a way, the story is really quite inspirational. Education really means something to these children and I commend them for it. However, the kid riding a bike across is a little looney IMO.

Didn't watch the video when I first posted... the pictures of the aquaduct are what I was referring to and didn't look that bad, but now watching the video... geez... I wish I could help them in some way, that's rough.
edit on 3-12-2012 by Osiris1953 because: Video Watched

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

Wow, quite an obstacle to education, but its quite inspiring to see them push through it.

Makes you wonder if lazy kids in western countries would do the same? I am pretty sure they would just stay home and eat some Cheetos

Highly doubtful. I have known kids to stay out of school just because a tree had fallen across their driveway. Dedication like this to a persons educaftion that these children show is quite amazing.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I remembered watching this awhile back, on 'Ripleys Believe It Or Not'. It is somewhere in Colombia.

Apparently they have 2 choices.
A treacherous 2-hour hike.
Or a 1 minute ride on an old zipline.
[color=606060]I guess moving never crossed their mind.

In this vid, they say that there is an average of 60 people whom use this each day.

This clip is mostly talking about a specific 11 yr. old girl. It is her responsibility to make sure that her 9 yr. old brother gets everything hooked up correctly, and makes it safely across.
Also, her 7 yr. old sister gets into a burlap bag, which the 11 yr. old girl carries across.

edit on 12/3/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tebyen

Certainly seems like kids take for granted that privilege to go to school and get a education, when others half way around the world are willing to risk life and limb for the very same thing.

The real sad thing is, these kids can go to school and will still face almost insurmountable odds to develop a successful career with it.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

The vid in the OP isn't a zip line, it is a wooden bridge that is falling apart. A zip line is safe compared to what the Indonesian kids have to cross.

edit on 3-12-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I don't find this inspirational at all...I find it depressing. A kid shouldn't have to risk their life to get an education. If I had kids they definitely wouldn't be going to school if they had to use that bridge.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund

The vid in the OP isn't a zip line, it is a wooden bridge that is falling apart.

....which is extremely obvious.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Well I dunno, you made it sound like you were posting about the same thing.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund

Well I dunno, you made it sound like you were posting about the same thing.

There is only 1 notable difference.

Crazy!! Children In [color=CDFF82]Indonesia Colombia Risk Their Lives Everyday Just To Get To School

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I don't find this inspirational at all...I find it depressing.

Don’t get me wrong, its still a shame that these kids must do this to get an education that so many of us get/got so easily by comparison. However, I will not diminish there struggle, by being "depressed about it".

There is something to be said for the drive these kids have to want an education, and i believe it is in need of recognition.

Not everyone or every situation seeks pity.

I see this as not only inspiration for others, but a means to bring awareness to their needs.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I bet they REALLY value their education. Goes to show how much we did and our kids do take their education for granted.

top topics

join