It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Homeless Man Shoeless Again Despite Boots

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nOraKat
The guy wants to be barefoot, give him a break.

Then he shouldn't have accepted a 100$ pair of all weather boots and warm socks.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn
1.He’s not asking for the whole stinking pie.. he’s asking for a piece of it. ... So I ask again, why should he not ask for his piece of the pie?

Because there IS NO PIECE OF THE PIE!
No one made any money off the picture that was taken.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
"Shoeles NYC Man' isn't homeless afterall

According to NBC New York, Hillman, an Army veteran, was homeless for an undetermined period of time leading up to 2011, when he obtained a Bronx apartment secured by Veterans Affairs. His rent is paid "using a lifetime voucher for homeless veterans and his Social Security income.

So he's faking being homeless ... gett'n that free handout from good hearted people.

edit on 12/4/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: Here is a new link to the story

Shoeless guy not homeless...
edit on 12/4/2012 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
So this thread has really nothing to do with charity, cops, the homeless or even the boots ... its purely the OP'ers RANT against anybody having any booze or drugs!

That's absurd and downright stupid. :shk: Anyone who has been on here knows very well my rather liberal stand on legalizing, regulating and taxing certain 'illegal substances'.

This is totally about the faux-homeless guy who faked being homeless and got a 100$ pair of all weather boots from a kind hearted cop. And then the faux-homeless guy either sold them or stashed them in his home.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by GArnold

Interesting you brought up "The Man with the golden voice" as i was thinking the same. However, last i heard he was charged for beating a ex-wife and was back on the sauce?

Some people get accustomed to a way of life eg. drinking on the street, and they will revert back to it.

I started checking into what you said.. he did relapse or never quit but was amazed when I ran across the video. He has had thousands of dollars of dental work done. He seems ok.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
"Shoeles NYC Man' isn't homeless afterall

So he's faking being homeless ... gett'n that free handout from good hearted people.

I'm not sure if your link is broken, but this is the message I get when I click on it

Whoops!

This page doesn’t exist or can’t be found.

To find something you’ll like, click a category above or use the search box.

I get pretty much the same thing from the Gothamist Blog link in the post as well:

Page Not Found
We're sorry, but we couldn't find the page you requested. But we've got a few ideas you may want to try: ■Email us about the problem
■Search the site for "url"
■Go to the Gothamist front page

edit on 4-12-2012 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
So.The NY Times found him wandering aimless in Manhattan Sunday night.
I rather doubt that.

He wasn't 'wandering aimless in Manhattan'. He was set up in front of the same shoe store.
Lots of "homeless" people stick to certain places and certain routines.
His picture was well known .. everyone knows what he looks like .. and he stuck to his routine.

Not hard to do at all.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

I don't know why it's doing that. I was able to get to the link and even post a quote.
Dunno ... all I can say is ... try googling and see if you can find the same info.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I once saw a woman wearing a thin cotton summer dress and no shoes walking down a city sidewalk muttering to her self - on a winters day

I've seen many homeless and mentally unwell people wearing all their clothes in July

Is it so difficult to understand that not everyone is strong - and we aren't all strong or weak in the same ways?

I won't flame you - there's no need

some things are self evident

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
Is it so difficult to understand that not everyone is strong - and we aren't all strong or weak in the same ways?

Sure ... I know that. I've experienced that personally. I have a degree in psychology so I've studied it as well. But that has NOTHING to do with the fact that this faux-homeless guy got a free pair of boots and then the next day was barefoot and claimed to have them 'stashed' .. and 'wanted a piece of the pie' for having his picture taken .. (when there is NO PIE TO GET A PIECE OF)

'Not being strong to be able to handle something' and 'faking being homeless and getting free stuff and demanding a 'piece of the pie' (which doesn't exist). Those are two totally separate subjects.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I hear ya on your points about stolen boots and murdered homeless over something we'd see as minor and irrelevant like a pair of warm boots on a cold night.

I'd also note...you're quick to assume about people's life experience's of what basis forms their opinions.. Careful on assumptions. You know what they say.

The man isn't a little toad for hiding his boots, IF that's even what he did. I'm thinking he sold them like many here are assuming...and a rookie cop just got a hard, cold lesson in kindness repaid. That's par for the course though and this kind hearted man who happens to wear the Uni of the NYPD probably needed some seasoning before the lesson came much harder with actual damage done.

No, this guy became a Toad with a capital T when his concerns in the same breath with Boots and safety from the predators on the street around him.......come with concerns for his "piece of the pie" and being somehow screwed out of something. Umm.. huh!? What?! How did this guy go from one of the kinder things I've seen a cop do in recent times......to how he deserves something for a tourist shooting a candid picture??

Toad isn't defined by homeless living in a world more brutal and unforgiving than most comfy people at home can fathom. Toad comes from being at the very bottom and STILL looking up with resentment, bitterness and perhaps more....on something as simple as a candid tourist snapshot someone peddled to the media. How low....

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn
Given the obvious lack of compassion for the subject of your OP I find it rather shocking that you took the time to offer any assistance to Clare in any way or follow up on how she was doing after her accident, aside from reading about it in the local paper, when you most likely would not even notice Jeffrey unless you tripped over him on the street.

Oh blah blah blah You don't know me. You don't know anything about me.
You can save your absurd 'I'm shocked' statements. :shk:

The guy in NYC is obviously scamming people for free stuff. And statistically speaking, he's probably either on booze or drugs. That's just the truth of it.

Clare is well known in town. Her movements are well known. She is a very devout catholic woman who spends her time at daily mass, weekly confession, in the library, and walking up and down the main road. She refuses all help and refuses to wear new clothing or shoes when purchased for her. She puts her duct tape back on and is happy that way. Any money people give her, she walks right over to the church donation basket and puts it in. She won't take a dime .. not a sock .. not anything.

She's not scamming people to get free stuff or $$. He is. Big difference.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

'Not being strong to be able to handle something' and 'faking being homeless and getting free stuff and demanding a 'piece of the pie' (which doesn't exist). Those are two totally separate subjects

you're right of course - what a sweet deal - pretending to be homeless

I guess we each have a choice in deciding how silly we wish to appear to others

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Personally I think it is sad the people had to dig into ever aspect of this mans life,

This is what I don't like about the internet.

edit on 013131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Originally posted by azbowhunter
This is the very reason I have a hard time giving homeless men any of my hard earned money.

I just hope that this does not take away anything from the cop that tried to help.

I consider it a blessing to be able to give to the homeless. I live in a nice home, reasonably affluent and comfortable.

It's none of my business what the homeless do with the money I give them; just like it's none of anyone else business on what I spend my money on.

Yes, which is why I do not give them money. I don't want to feed their addictions. Food, clothes, soap, tooth brush and paste, yep, but not cash.

I've had homeless people refuse food and ask for cash instead.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Personally I think it is sad the people had to dig into ever aspect of this mans life,

This is what I don't like about the internet.

edit on 013131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

Certainly I see your point that "privacy" is now a thing of the past, and that being the case, perhaps we should all be more careful about judging others from distorted internet information where hateful agendas and lies are as common as those that foment them.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkeys' glass house.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc
I've had homeless people refuse food and ask for cash instead.

I was at the train station in town. I had a 'homeless' man come up to me and say that he was diabetic and his sugar was low and he needed money for food FAST. I went into my purse and pulled out an unopened Oreo six pack and said 'quick .. eat this before your sugar drops too far'. He just looked at me .. looked at the cookies .. put them in his pocket and sauntered over to the next person and gave the same speech.

Obviously he was trolling for money and wasn't having a diabetic emergency at all.

He was royally ticked off at the Oreo cookies I gave him.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Shoelwss NYC man isn't homeless

There is always more to the story than what is on the surface. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but apparently this person is not so homeless or without means as it would appear.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
[Oh blah blah blah You don't know me. You don't know anything about me.
You can save your absurd 'I'm shocked' statements. :shk:

LOL. Touche. But I guess since it did not serve any purpose, chosing to ignore the included a statement that said should I be wrong about my assertation on that quoted point then you deserve kudos for the attempt. It's all good. I still stand behind that statement, regardless if you ignore it or not.

The guy in NYC is obviously scamming people for free stuff. And statistically speaking, he's probably either on booze or drugs. That's just the truth of it.

Obvious? Obvious how, facts to prove it? I think that we are not really dealing with a scam artist, but someone that truley has a mental illness that needs to be addressed in a way that is better than it has been up until now. You base your opinion that he is most likely a substance abuser on an article written 23 years ago and as I stated in another post on here, even if we accept the outdated stats that are based on 1 shelters study that 75% of all homeless men entering that shelter can be used as a blanket statement for all men in NYC being substance abusers that still leaves 25% that are not. I'm not quite sure why there is not some willingness to entertain the idea that it's just as possible that Jeffrey is in that 25%, given there is no evidence for either side of that point. I choose to lean towards the optimistic path on this one until there is proof otherwise, which is my right to do, just as it is your right to hold the view that you do.

Clare is well known in town. Her movements are well known. She is a very devout catholic woman who spends her time at daily mass, weekly confession, in the library, and walking up and down the main road. She refuses all help and refuses to wear new clothing or shoes when purchased for her. She puts her duct tape back on and is happy that way. Any money people give her, she walks right over to the church donation basket and puts it in. She won't take a dime .. not a sock .. not anything.

She's not scamming people to get free stuff or $$. He is. Big difference.

Good for her. But in one sentence you say she won't take a dime and in another you state that any money people give her goes into the charity box at the church. Pardon me for what is going to be taken as sarcasm where none is intended, but do they force her to take the money where she politely refuses clothes, shoes or other kinds of assistance? Accepting money from folks giving it to her for what their preconceived notion is that she will use the money for some small benefit to her, is different how from the officer providing Jeffrey with a pair of boots that you feel certain he's sold to further a scam or substance abuse issue where there is not evidence of this? Both have taken the charitable actions of others meant for one purpose, to help them out, and done something with that charitable gift that is opposite of it's intended purpose. Clare's actions may be just as offending to someone who does not subscribe to the teachings of the Catholic church just as much as your belief, that Jeffery more than likely sold his boots for booze/drugs grinds your gears.

That, FlyersFan, is the fundamental issue I was trying to ask you to see. Once a person has made the choice of gifting something to another, it is then the property of the receiver to do with it as they please. I am sure that if someone were to give you a gift, especially a stranger, you would not appreciate them or anyone else, telling you what you should do or should have done with it.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Shoelwss NYC man isn't homeless

There is always more to the story than what is on the surface. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but apparently this person is not so homeless or without means as it would appear.

I thought he didn't live in the apartment given him, obviously he has mental issues.

I most always give food, but when I have given someone money, and get that look from a family member, I always say it is between me and god, what they spend it on is none of my business lest some day my heart is so hardened I don't give and the person is truly in need.
edit on 023131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join