It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Todays NASA Mars Curiosity update no longer big news. + Voyager 1 update 2pm EST Dec 3.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
PASADENA, Calif. -- The next news conference about the NASA Mars rover Curiosity will be held at 9 a.m. PST (12 p.m. EST) Monday, Dec. 3, in San Francisco at the Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU).

It once was supposed to be a BIG announcement, but they are playing it down now, saying this:-

Rumors and speculation that there are major new findings from the mission at this early stage are incorrect. The news conference will be an update about first use of the rover's full array of analytical instruments to investigate a drift of sandy soil. One class of substances Curiosity is checking for is organic compounds -- carbon-containing chemicals that can be ingredients for life. At this point in the mission, the instruments on the rover have not detected any definitive evidence of Martian organics.

More at this NASA link - click here

So now it is a boring announcement.

ALSO TODAY Monday, Dec. 3: NASA to Host Teleconference About Voyager Mission, 2 p.m. EST
To discuss the latest findings and travels of NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft.

This is the first time I have ever started a thread here.

edit on 3/12/2012 by Lucas73 because: added words

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Congrats on your first post... S&F.

I'm actually more interested in the Voyager news, and am hoping that they are going to officially announce that it has left our solar system and human beings have "officially" accomplished such a feat.

~Namaste

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
yeah i found the same story over the weekend on space.com and was looking forward to today and now its not big news at all, space.com has always been pretty reliable for nasa related news in the past.

bummed me out

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Reminds me of a modern day Roswell announcement. "Holy crap we found something!" then a few days later "Never mind, nothing to see here, our bad!"

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Allready a thread here..
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Could you not join forces.. making two threads kind of splits up the ATS

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It seems the rover discovered "...complex chemistry..." related to "...chlorine, sulfur and water in Mars dirt". MOst notably,
"SAM has no definitive detection to report of organic compounds," Paul Mahaffy, SAM principal investigator at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., said during a press conference at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco."

This likely means, that someone probably got "spanked" at NASA for misleading the press. That is not the typically accepted approach for true scientists, when announcing discoveries, IMO.

Full News:
www.space.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I'm actually more interested in the Voyager news, and am hoping that they are going to officially announce that it has left our solar system and human beings have "officially" accomplished such a feat.

In my opinion, nothing can be considered to have "left the Solar System" until it passes beyond the Oort Cloud of comets. These are still gravitationally bound to the Sun, and are located up to one light year away. Voyager 1 will take thousands of years to get that far.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join