It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, what would your Jesus do, if here today!?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
Personally, i have to scoff at the idea ANYONE could possibly think they know what the Christ might do.

Really!? why is that? Churches do it constantly, people on these boards do all the time.....a lot of scoffing to do!

jesus also condemned organized religion.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
He will not come back as a Lamb but as a Lion, coming in fiery, flaming vengeance. He is coming with a sword of judgment. He is coming with blood-splattered garments.

Hmm...I did not know that G.W. Bush IS Jesus' second coming. Sounds like you just described him perfectly. I guess I learn something everyday

PS- I prefer the peaceful image. Much more likeable.

[edit on 22-10-2004 by Jazzerman]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
jazz- just have one question for you after i saw your sig. can you find anywhere in the constitution where it mentions seperation of church and state? i sure cant. dont think its there.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
PS- Redballoon...how can I vote for this "Way Above Top Secret" award? If I find out I most assuredly will vote for you.

Wow thanks for the compliment... oh and it's that blue link under the avatar
I appreciate your comment, though, even more than a vote.

One thing I wish Christian posters could realize - quoting the Bible is irrelevant to those that are not Christian. The Bible is quoted as absolute proof of statements, but when the proof isn't credible to those you are arguing against, then your proof means nothing. I would be genuinely interested in any discussions of certainty on why something is bad or good NOT based on random biblical quotes.

One question: What would you do if tomorrow the Pope, for example, admitted that the church had hidden away and censored a long lost book in the Bible, and it was now to be made public. In that book, let's call it the Book of Bruce, Jesus declared that homosexuality was beautiful, and everyone should embrace the love of men. Free love for all and between any two people that feel like it. Jesus is also quoted as saying that to show your love of god, you must pierce your wrists and ankles with nails, and have marks of whips tattood on your back. You must also eat only brown rice and drink water to show your humility before God. Would you do any of it? The Bible said it, so you must follow it. Come to think of it, the Bible didn't mention the Internet either, so why are you online? Oh right, the Bible was written thousands of years ago and times have changed. Hmmmm...

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

He will not come back as a Lamb but as a Lion, coming in fiery, flaming vengeance. He is coming with a sword of judgment. He is coming with blood-splattered garments.

Well, lets see here. If I were a Christian, and spouted off all over the place that I was a Christians...and I believed with all my heart in my faith and in Jesus Christ and believed what the bible says, I sure as hell wouldn't be going around doing the very things that he told me not to do....I'd be the best person I could be, try to be fair and honest with everyone, leave the judging to him...oh...wait...I really do all that, so maybe he will decide I'm worth it, I follow the religion more than many Christians! LOL

But you were not asking what a good Christian would be doing you asked what Jesus would be doing if he was here.

The Bible tells you what he would be doing.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
One question: What would you do if tomorrow the Pope, for example, admitted that the church had hidden away and censored a long lost book in the Bible, and it was now to be made public. In that book, let's call it the Book of Bruce, Jesus declared that homosexuality was beautiful, and everyone should embrace the love of men.

Interesting concept. But at the heart of the matter - Jesus didn't author any of the new testaments, so any pro or con involving homosexuality is the author's opinion or (my belief) subsequent mistranslations of text.

Everything I've read from the bible and the gnostics tells me Christ was a tree hugging liberal who embraced the outcast and downtrodden. I see no difference between Falwell and Co. and the Jewish heirarchy that Christ had contempt for.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
jazz- just have one question for you after i saw your sig. can you find anywhere in the constitution where it mentions seperation of church and state? i sure cant. dont think its there.

Its really more of an implied notion about my views on some issues, and while not directly in the Constitution there are "hints" if you will:

1st Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech...

or as in Article VI: but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States...

I agree completely that it is not in the Constitution, and that even if the original intent was to "imply" it, as I said before, it still stands as more of a personal belief than an indoctrined one. The statement "seperation of church and state" should be thought of as an ideological standpoint on which I personally believe the Government should act. Although I would never condemn people in power being religious...religion should be left out of government...especially in this "melting pot" or "salad bowl" the we call America.

PS- Redballoon...thanks for the information...it was pretty obvious once you pointed it out to my perplexed simpleton mind
Anyhow...you just were awarded one of my votes...excellent job you have done on this site

[edit on 22-10-2004 by Jazzerman]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
Interesting concept. But at the heart of the matter - Jesus didn't author any of the new testaments, so any pro or con involving homosexuality is the author's opinion or (my belief) subsequent mistranslations of text.

No, Jesus didn't author the books in the new testament, but he was quoted and ideals were attributed to him through the voices of others, such as Bruce. And on your second point about mistranslations, they are all over the Bible where words were notconveyed litterally over different languages, or the author added their own political or personal views.

Originally posted by Bleys
... who embraced the outcast and downtrodden.

Bingo! Which is why it is not likely he preached bigotry, judgement, and hate, and why he would likely roll over in his cave over the current state of christianity.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I think so many people are under the impression that god and Jesus are super compassionate, loving beings when in fact the bible states differently.

Jesus and God of the bible are truely something to be feared in my opinion.

It was Jesus who said, "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother and the daughter in law against her mother in law. Matthew 10:34

If any man com to me, and hate not his father, mother and wife and children, and brethren, and sisters yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:26

God says-

See now that I, even I am he and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. Deuteronomy 32:39

Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it
Malachi 2:3

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
And on your second point about mistranslations, they are all over the Bible where words were notconveyed litterally over different languages, or the author added their own political or personal views.

You're preaching to the choir here. Everything we know about this man (whether real or an amalgam of ideals) shows compassion and acceptance, yet those who are moved to call themselves Christians have the most difficult time embracing those tenets. Although long void of religion I find the philosophies of Christ to be a positive force. I choose to follow many of them Not in search of some reward in an afterlife, but simply because they make sense.

[edit on 10/23/04 by Bleys]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
In the new T, he also said...
...Matthew 5:38-42 - You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth." But I say unto you, do not resist him who is evil; but whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone wants to sue you, and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. And whoever shall force you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
He would represent the truth.
He wouldn't NOT do stuff...
He wouldn't need a gun, he didn't carry a knife (atleast not recorded)
He would enlighten and explain the truths of the world.
He would destroy what we call christianity today
Destroy devisions
Tend to the sick and handicapped
...........End of Government, and interest.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   

In the new T, he also said...
...Matthew 5:38-42 - You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth." But I say unto you, do not resist him who is evil; but whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone wants to sue you, and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. And whoever shall force you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

LadyV.........good bible quotes

Hmmm make you wonder how Bush can claim to be a christian? Who would Jesus bomb? I think its impossible for anyone to hold the office of the president and call themselves a Christian. A real christian would have turned the other cheek! Of course this is a stupid option after 9/11 but nonetheless pre-emptive war is not a christian thing to do either.

Maybe we oughta just start taking people eyes out!

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   

People? I rest my case......It did not take too long did it. Ashlar, if your Christian only god really exists, you should bow done and beg forgiveness....I see no loving, forgiving, sprit that your Jesus teaches to you. You show yourself to be judgmental, and trying to take on the work of your god...shame be on you! "judge not lest ye be judged." Sound familiar to you? I strongly suggest that read managerie post at the link below entitled "Jesus died to redeem heal homosexual behavior as well."

Where do you get off on being such an expert on Christianity, we all know that you are not one, yet you linger constantly in biblical threads mud slinging.
Just to show you that you have nothing more than the same clich�s that have been used by Non-Christians since like, forever, lets start with the first.

�Judge not lest you be judged.�

Not true, according to the Bible as a Christian I cannot judge your heart, but I CAN judge your actions.
Now for the next:

�Jesus died to redeem (place any deviant behavior here) behavior as well�

Jesus did not die to redeem the sins of the unrepentant sinner; you must REPENT your sins to be forgiven them. That means that you must try and not commit them again, change your life style, etc. If you fail again, then fine, but if you could care less to change, then isn�t going to happen, no way, sorry.

The main problem that nonbelievers have is that they have read parts of the Bible, but have never truly studied the Bible. It is also never going to mean much to someone that has hardened his or her heart to it.

Where do all nonbelievers get that being a Christian makes a person a PERFECT being that never sins? If Christians did not sin they would not need Christ to forgive the sins they commit, and be redeemed.

Where do you get that when a Christian states something that is in the Bible, the Christian makes it up? When you ask a Christian a question, then blow up at him for giving the Biblical answer, they where repeating God�s law to you, if you don�t like it take it up with God, not the Christian.

Now today I just asked you a question in another thread that dealt with a Non-Christian topic, a topic in which I would consider you a more learned source then me. I did this in a respectful manner that even though I know that we have very different beliefs that I respect your decision to believe in Wicca, I did not hold this against you or attack you for your beliefs. This thread from your own admission was to stir up the Christians and apparently go on the attack for the Homosexual lobby.

Now what would Jesus do if he where here today�.

He would take one good look around at this world, shake his head, reach out for his keyboard, and type:

[/World]

The truth is that I think that everyone here can sense that there is something BIG coming, it is right around the corner. Therefore, there is a HUGE push by those that feel that their lifestyles are wrong to attack the Christians to make themselves feel better about that lifestyle. Their main weapons are to out argue a Christian, so that in their minds they are in the right, and feel comfortable with any lifestyle they have chosen, whether it is against what is Biblical or not. If this is not true, then why do you care WHAT Christians think of you?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

When you ask a Christian a question, then blow up at him for giving the Biblical answer, they where repeating God�s law to you, if you don�t like it take it up with God, not the Christian.

well spoken mate, im voting you for way above award

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Where do you get off on being such an expert on Christianity, we all know that you are not one, yet you linger constantly in biblical threads mud slinging

Because she studies it.

As for linger in christian threads - it's not so much as she lingers in them, as is most threads pertaining to subjects she is interested in (not associated with Christianity) BECOMES a chrsitian thread due to a christian rarely failing to bring up christian principals - no matter the context of the thread.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ashlar
well spoken mate, im voting you for way above award

Ashlar thank you, I do appreciate it.

Originally posted by Misfit

Because she studies it.

No offence, but why? Wiccan may be compatible with other religions, I do not know a tremendous amount about it, but Christianity is most certainly not compatible with Wiccan. Do you study it just to try and better out argue someone with a Christian perspective?

A factor here may not make sense to you unless you experience it. You can read the scripture like a Gnostic, from a sterile black and white perspective, but you will never truly understand it unless the spirit of God moves you to do so. That is what I meant earlier about reading it with a hardened heart, that does not mean that someone is not kind, or is mean, or even a bad person, or something; simply that God is not talking to their heart through his word.

Originally posted by Misfit

As for linger in Christian threads - it's not so much as she lingers in them, as is most threads pertaining to subjects she is interested in (not associated with Christianity) BECOMES a Christian thread due to a Christian rarely failing to bring up Christian principals - no matter the context of the thread.

90% of the threads that I have run into your wife on are about The Anti-Christ, The Beast, and other end of the World Biblical prophecy. To be honest, She quotes the bible as much as a Christian does, and does in fact seem to know her way around it quite well. However, even the questions posted above about Judging people, and forgiveness, show book wisdom, but not a true understanding. It would be no different if I read a book on Wiccan, unless I took it to heart and truly believed and practiced it, even then I am sure that there are nuances that I would just not grasp.

If you notice, I usually do not bring up religion unless the thread is specifically intended for it, or the topic has turned to religion already. I see literally Tons of New Agers, and Wiccan putting in their two cents on the Biblical threads, and for the most part that is fine by me. But look back through some of the threads that have been placed to specifically target Christians, there is one out there right now that is stating that Christ was a Illegitimate birth, and calling him a bastard. What would happen if I put up a thread that stated that Buddha, Mohammed, Isis, Gia, was a bastard/bitch, I would be banned from the board in about as many minutes as it took to refresh my screen.

I also have seen numerous threads that deal with anything from sleep disorders to psychological/medical issues where the Wiccan/New Agers turn it into a spiritual entity or OBE every time. Its more then a little hypercritical of you to pick on a Christian for Putting in a Christian perspective on the subject when there are members of your own religion that put their perspective on it as well, or are we just supposed to give up the floor and only hear your opinions.

One more thing as long as we are on the topic can you prove Wiccan to be the one true Religion based on anything besides other Wiccan writers works?

No, then as a group you people need to stop asking us to do this as well.

Edit : Clarification

[edit on 10/23/2004 by defcon5]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Ah my synical side. What would Jesus be doing? Probably resisding in a mental health institute.

If someone did proclaim to be the son of God returned to Earth, as have many people, they would probably be commited to an institute with "illusions of granduer(sp)" or something similar.

Actually, I would be very interested about what Jesus had to say about what is written in the Bible. That in my opinion would be VERY interesting.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
when jesus was on earth he did actually hang out with sinners as the bible clearly states. he DID NOT sin however (please remember that!) Mary Magdelene was a prostitute who Jesus drove demons from. thats just one example. the gospels are full of situations and events in Jesus's life when he was condemned by the SELF RIGHTEOUS RELIGIOUS LEADERS of his day.

so yes IF Jesus FIRST coming on earth was now he would have done much like what he did when he came, set those in bondage to satan and sin FREE, preach the kingdom of God, HEAL the sick, RAISE the dead, be FULL of the GRACE and LOVE of his Father and ultimately die for the sins of the world fullfill the prophecy of Jonah in the whales belly and rise on the third day, triumphing over all principalities and powers, ascending into heaven to sit at the right hand of God.

BUT...Jesus HAS DONE THAT. THE WORK IS FINISHED. there are however MANY other prophecies about Jesus YET TO be fullfilled. I was going to post bible verses but I always get into trouble when I do so if your interested read the Pslams (one of them speaks of Jesus Christ WASHING HIS FEET IN THE BLOOD OF HIS ENEMIES) Revelations (the rich men of the earth hiding in caves at his coming screaming who can save them from the WRATH of the LAMB of God??? -- yeah thats the Ted Turner Bill Gates types) how about what it says in Matheew?? Jesus will seperate the sheep from the goats.
then theres the tiars and the wheat. hope you get the basic point, Jesus died for the entire world when we were still in darkness...he defeated satan FOR US, he made right adams mistake, he opened the doors of heaven for anyone who believes and abides in him. Now please tell me what the world will do when he returns?? the world that rejected him?? caves, screaming etc you get the point.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
LadyV, you are totally missing several points about God. You say that we have to march for homosexuals, God says that homosexuality is an abomination. As the old saying goes, love the sinner but hate the sin. Marching for sin would not please Christ. I'm not going to go down your list of "As I see how you should view your God" demands, I'll just let you know that you do not understand what my God has said, but trying to tell us your opinion of what He says love is.

But to answer your question of what Jesus would be doing if He were here, He would have stepped back on Earth, splitting the Mount of Olives, and would have walked into Jerusalem, setting up His kingdom for His thousand year rein. Honestly, I suspect you might see firsthand what He will do, unless you meet an untimely death.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join