It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 1/3 of Turkish Women think it's ok for their Husbands to beat them.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Thats right, in a poll funded by the EU and conducted by Ankara`s Hacettepe University among 8,075 married women it was found that 39% of Turkish women thought it was ok for their husbands to beat them. In the rural areas of Turkey the number jumped to 57%. The reasons the women gave for justification are listed below:

• Arguing with the husband
  • too much spending
  • negligence of children
  • burning the meal
  • refusing to have sex

www.turkishpress.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
That was the way it was in north america not that long ago too. In some countries it's ok for a man to kill his wife if she has done certain things. In time (I hope) this will be a thing of the past.

Of note, the saying "rule of thumb" origionally meant a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb.

[edit on 22-10-2004 by sensfan]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Gee. I wonder if those women were in the company of their husbands when they answered that survey.

I'd say it's OK for my spouse to beat me too if they beat me for anything and I didn't want to make them mad and they were next to me. Lying and saying I thught it was OK might just save my butt from another night of pain.

Cultural biases might also be in play here. These women were conditioned their entire lives to accept physical and mental abuse, and probably feel they aren't worthy of a black and blue free life.

join