It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COINTELPRO is really frightening and freaks me out.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I used to laugh all the time whenever I see references to COINTELPRO on this forum. Half of the time I think it's a joke. There are people on here who still support the government in some way or another. That doesn't make them COINTELPRO, that just means they just support a political party. And that's the way our Republic functions... I may disagree with that, but, that's how they are set up.

But, I have been doing a bit of research on COINTELPRO because I was researching for my class project in research design and methods on the Patriot Act and I came across this very frightening report that was done by the select committee to study governmental operations in 1976 that was sent to the US senate.

The book can be found here: www.icdc.com...

And it's super scary because it exposes in classified government files how the government used to infiltrate anti-war groups and monitor them and how it split apart the Black Panthers, turned them against one another and made them fight each other just for the sole sake of fragmentation. I was always taught the Black Panthers were a radical group but I wonder how much of it was the government now.

Apparently, according to this website I think, it says that Reagan signed an executive order bringing it back (whatreallyhappened.com...) and there's a whole bunch more stuff there about current things.

The fact that under the Patriot Act the government is using the aiding and abetting amendments to continue to monitor anti-war groups makes me think it's less about fighting terrorism and more about keeping an eye on anyone who opposes the government. They could very well be watching this site, or, any site with disagreeing views. I won't let that intimidate me, I know the risks, and if you are a government operative reading this post, I am not afraid. We welcome you here too, and, to participate in the discussions.

But initially I was just researching the Patriot Act, but, the fact that the government has a history of doing this all the way back since the 1940s really frightens me. Bush didn't end our freedoms. He just codified into law what has been going on for a long, long time and tried to legalize it. Maybe, there is something inherently wrong with the way the government treats the first amendment?
edit on 2-12-2012 by Frankidealist35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

All Governments democratic, or otherwise would love to be able to watch every citizen every hour of every day but funding that would be incredibly expensive. What tends to happen is the Government uses various information gathering agencies to assess which organisations, and individuals pose the greatest threat to stability, and prioritise surveliance, and other operations based on that criteria.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

I would love to think that the government would just look at the people that oppose the government but according to the Washington Post in the original Bush administration scandal it was revealed that the NSA logged over 10 million American citizens phones (www.washingtonpost.com...). It's not that expensive. Our government has the technology to do that. And, anyone can be watched at any time. It really is as bad as people say it is.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

All Governments democratic, or otherwise would love to be able to watch every citizen every hour of every day but funding that would be incredibly expensive. What tends to happen is the Government uses various information gathering agencies to assess which organisations, and individuals pose the greatest threat to stability, and prioritise surveliance, and other operations based on that criteria.

^ cointel pro response...
username vague, unnattached, location and username Hotel 1 Alpha.

he is one for sure... *flags*

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by hotel1

I would love to think that the government would just look at the people that oppose the government but according to the Washington Post in the original Bush administration scandal it was revealed that the NSA logged over 10 million American citizens phones (www.washingtonpost.com...). It's not that expensive. Our government has the technology to do that. And, anyone can be watched at any time. It really is as bad as people say it is.

I did say thats what tends to happen but of course it is not universal, but the fact remains that all info gathering ops require financing.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu

Damn my covers blown

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

True, if we're talking about people on the ground, that might be a bit difficult. I was just saying they have other ways of monitoring people other than just with boots on the ground. But, it frightens me that the government is targeting activists that are engaging in first amendment right activities. I consider myself an activist I mean I've been to a few rallies myself in my time the past few years. I have signed petitions. But, I have never been aware that people could actually be monitoring me when I go to those activities. It's something that I'll keep in mind.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Lol

I knew what you were trying to say. It's fine.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu

Damn my covers blown

When are you guys going to ask me to join. I'm sick and tired of sitting here for free. I want to be an illuminater...

so unfair mr square..

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by hotel1

I consider myself an activist I mean I've been to a few rallies myself in my time the past few years. I have signed petitions. But, I have never been aware that people could actually be monitoring me when I go to those activities. It's something that I'll keep in mind.

You go to rallies to be seen and heard, right? You should be happy that wethey're monitoring you.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

I know that by engaging in these activities that I could become a potential target on one of the government's list. If I ever get on one of those lists I will challenge the government in court and expose them for the things that they are doing and how they are violating the first amendment by doing what they do. So, I'll continue to do what it is that I do, and I won't let them intimidate me.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

known about this for a long long time..

don't ask me how, i just did the math & bit of research ..thus the reason for my profile pic .. click the site below to be illuminated :0

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I don't mind it myself, course as long as the government keeps paying me I'll keep trolling. Being a pro cointelpro pays great money, and I can spend the rest of my day making 'lets play' and funny vlogs on youtube for youtube partner dollars as well which is the new "dotcom" bubble.

get a popular youtube channel or a few, and post for pay where needed and enjoy the easy life.

Just join in and enjoy the ride, the world ends soon anyhow right? it will be murderliscious and that's precarious

T.T.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Cito

I will also admit that it would be a fun job. I mean what could be better than getting paid for sitting around looking at websites like ATS, GLP and 4chan all day? Bonus if you're allowed to smoke while working.

However, I still wouldn't take it just out of principle. I'd never help the government f*** over my fellow man.

top topics

join