It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bob Costas Pushes Gun Control On SNF

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Eh, I don't disagree but Rush, Olberman and O'Reilly all used it to a obtain a pretty decent career in political punditry although I doubt Costas is aiming for anything like that.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Bob Costas has a right to free speech altho he was under the auspices of the network (albeit with editorial license) but he was making an argument proffering a conclusion that was not necessarily accurate (that if he didnt have a gun that they would both be alive)....we simply know that to be untrue. What if they had an argument in his car and he crashed his Bentley into a telephone pole at high speed? Would BC have suggested that if JB didnt have a car that they would both be alive today? I doubt it......

edit on 2-12-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Don't know and don't care. That isn't my point. My point is simply he has the right to say it and you have the right to say you disagree. Nothing more and nothing less.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
I doubt Costas is aiming for anything like that.

I think your right.

Just wish he would stick to sports. He only gets x amount of minutes for SNF, so to spend them in this way says something.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Yup, I don't watch sports to hear someone tell me their political views but to be honest, I expected to hear something like this today considering the tragedy. I missed all the day games due to exams so I don't know if Costas was the first to mention this angle today or not.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

He has a right to state an opinion (ie that possession of a gun was obviously a factor) but his opinion is not a fact (that they would both be alive if he didnt have a gun)....that is all I am saying.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

If Bob tries to take your guns away you can always call the police and report them stolen.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by Trustfund

Awesome.

Then I guess Costas can do a pro-gun segment, since no one is taking our guns away.......

How about he sticks to football, and keeps his personal "opinions" out of it?

Bob Costas, sportscaster........

not anti- gun lobbyist.

What gives one the right to say one can't have an opinion, but others can?

so opinions are governed by ones profession?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I think there's something at work here which is so far not been raised.

The NFL has fairly strict control over what their contracted broadcast outlets say. They threw Costas a bone here because, as anyone who has ever watched this insipid little jackass on HBO can attest to, he is very much a left leaning, pro nanny state doofus. However, the NFL green lighted making this about the gun in the player's hand because they are scared to death the public is going to start questioning the brain inside the player's head and the drugs inside the player's medicine cabinet with team doctor signatures on the bottles. This guy had a history of head injuries and was on several pain killers and concussion related medicines.

Remember Chris Benoit, wrestling fans. The initial idea was steroids, but the coroner report on him indicated some pretty serious past brain injuries. (Benoit killed his wife, young son, and then himself a couple of years ago for anyone who doesn't know). Now look at the NFL. Currently they are in what could easily become a fight for survival with former players who suffered from head and brain injuries. A number of these players have fought everything from depression to substance abuse to outright breakdown of their faculties and all of them have said the teams and the league doctors threw pills at them, sent them home, and then encouraged them to be right back on the field next game. Throw into this the fact that the specter of a Congressional investigation into the safety of football has been raised already, long before this incident, and you can see why the league would LOVE to see the majority of the media focus on the firearm aspect of this crime.

We'll see more of it tomorrow night, as I'm sure Chris Berman will finally snap out of his lovey-dovey head in the clouds from interviewing Obama the night before the election daze long enough to add his "Why did this man need to own a firearm" voice to that of Costas.

I'm not suggesting that football is to blame here, honestly. I think the players know the risk and, if we live in a country where we've had huge Supreme Court rulings granting abortion rights as being part of an individual's right over their body, it's the players' right to risk as much of their health as they choose to make that 7 figure salary. Considering what I said above I still find myself disliking today's NFL because of all the ridiculous rule changes they've made to remove the high impact collisions I used to live for when I was playing back in school. But facts are facts and this incident essentially will force the NFL to pay out a lot of money and make a lot of changes or else they'll die as a league.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Costas is an idiot.

As if limiting the options of murder weapons would prevent the murderer from murdering.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Yeah, I caught this crap last night, what a load of BS. "If he didn't have a gun they would both still be alive" yeah friggen right. If you want someone dead bad enough, the gun ain't gonna matter. My respect forSNF just went down quite a bit rom that gun bashing little rant.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Reply to post by Signals

I cannot stand Costas first of all, but I couldn't agree with you more.

The idea that owning a gun is the sole facet which lead to their deaths is laughable at best. By the same logic we can all discern that without guns, murder as a whole would cease to exist.

Unbelievably shortsighted and politically driven garbage. Costas really does suck.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I especially enjoy how every dickhead with a microphone feels the need push their beliefs on everyone around them. Idiot. I wonder how much he got paid to say that?
edit on 3-12-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by Trustfund

Awesome.

Then I guess Costas can do a pro-gun segment, since no one is taking our guns away.......

How about he sticks to football, and keeps his personal "opinions" out of it?

Bob Costas, sportscaster........

not anti- gun lobbyist.

Well, because Bob Costas does some sort of commentary on different subjects that touch the sports world during halftime of EVERY Sunday night game. It appears this is another case of "Freedom of Speech, but only if I agree with what you are saying".

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Far be it from me, complete with anonymous profile, non-identifying avatar and tough-guy signature on an alternative-media website to criticize someone who has the balls to publicly express their views towards a touchy subject...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hide your guns in many different places, so that if they get some, you are still armed. Buried watertight containers are excellent. Yes, they will be coming for your guns and there is no point in committing suicide by trying to deal with overwhelming odds. The army and other military are mind controlled with many drugs and they will just kill you, without a second thought. You really need to have a bug out location that is very hard to find.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

In the coming days, Javon Belcher’s actions, and their possible connection to football, will be analyzed… who knows.

Costas spent about 6 seconds out of his entire tele-promted PSA on gun control to mention the possibility of a connection to professional football. I think the NFL league office authored this for him to divert attention away from the league’s concussion problems.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Bob needs to watch this. Suzanna Gratia tells it like it is. Years ago in Texas, and one of the reasons we can now carry in Texas.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

He is just another Liberal Progressive doing what Liberal Progressives do.
Not surprised.

Scratching NFL SNF off the list of things to watch.

He should stick with sports analysis, as that seems to be what he is decent at.
2nd amendment and people's character not so much.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Bob Costas needs to stick to football and stop politicizing those deaths.

Lost an aunt and uncle to suicide by guns

guns didn't do it they did.

A gun requires input from an operator.

As Ted Nugent said "only fools blame tools." People are overweight going to ban forks and spoons".

Gun control is an illusion the simple fact you can pass all the laws you want but you can not legislate human behavior, altho they sure try like hell to.
edit on 3-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join