It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bob Costas Pushes Gun Control On SNF

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Anybody just catch this on the halftime show?

I'm paraphrasing here-

"We don't truly know the motives of Jevon Belcher and may not know for a few more days. But I do truly believe this. If not for Belcher owning a gun, he and his girlfriend would both be alive today."

So, in one sentence, he admits we don't know what caused it....But is 100% sure it wouldn't have happened if not for guns?

MSM scum.

For crying out loud, he shot her 9 times...the guy snapped. If he wouldn't have had a gun, it would have been a knife or a baseball bat.

I guess the goal is to catch American men at their weakest point, watching the Cowgirls, drinking their beer, to drive home the gun control message.....

Gun control isn't about guns....It's about CONTROL.

edit on 2-12-2012 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Yes, I did catch this and Costas will certainly prove to be incendiary for many (especially given the game was in Texas). That being said, I felt it was Costas speaking from the heart about what he believed, and I can't fault him for that. Also, I believe that statement was a quote from another individual. He certainly endorsed it, but I -think- it was someone else's words.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Yes i did hear that , and as far as im concerned gun controll means take careful aim. "how bout them cowboys"!!

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
He's a fool and a tool and the OP is right on.

If not a gun, as "Jolly" 'Ol England shows, knives work very well indeed. Criminals and those who just kinda break like a stretched rubber band, find ways of killing people. The Columbine kids planted or had ready to deploy 99 explosive devices.....and guns were just personal defense and attention things. They intended to level the school to the foundation....they just didn't understand little things like HOW to make the internet directions work or what force propane bombs really don't carry...I digress as badly as Bob Costas though, huh?

The fact he can say he has no idea what caused it, but then go on to say what factor caused it to happen by it's presence just screams the agenda he works from before a fact is even in his field of view. Shooting? Dead people? GUN Control!! .... ugh..... What a guy.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

He ran with this story, and ended it in his OWN words.

I would argue that your rationalizations speak to how numb we are in this society to gun violence and murder. We’ve come to accept our insanity. We’d prefer to avoid seriously reflecting upon the absurdity of the prevailing notion that the second amendment somehow enhances our liberty rather than threatens it.

How many young people have to die senselessly? How many lives have to be ruined before we realize the right to bear arms doesn’t protect us from a government equipped with stealth bombers, predator drones, tanks and nuclear weapons?

Our current gun culture simply ensures that more and more domestic disputes will end in the ultimate tragedy, and that more convenience-store confrontations over loud music coming from a car will leave more teenage boys bloodied and dead.

In KC, it's no time for a game

That being said, You are right.

He could have easily killed her with chopsticks, and jumped from a bridge.

My honest opinion?

Football caused this. Concussions, the pressure of money, fame....etc
edit on 2-12-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
No one is taking away your guns.

Especially as long as the corporate gun lobby (NRA) is bribing politicians strong.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

Awesome.

Then I guess Costas can do a pro-gun segment, since no one is taking our guns away.......

How about he sticks to football, and keeps his personal "opinions" out of it?

Bob Costas, sportscaster........

not anti- gun lobbyist.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Let me be the first to bump you. I don't even want to watch his
lips move. I will not play dog water gurgling behind a $200 tie twice.
Sports commentator, probably from osmosis and other exterior
influences beside his will. Political pundit, it depends on who's
signing you check, isn't it Bob? But criminology, Costas? I didn't
know you went to the academy too... and a behavioral PhD too?
This is not only glaringly off-topic for anything related to sports, it's a
blatant capitalization by the network on a tragedy involving a sports
figure. God help us this is so much worse than some senator on
Meet the Press bringing up Pat Tillman's HS varsity numbers.
I don't watch TV since May last year, and this is one good reason.
The agenda is just as obvious here as Immelt firing Olbermann.
Thanks, I just made four pans of cookies for work this month, and
was going to have a couple-- until I read this thread. I mean it :thanks.
Can you imagine what would happen if some 'color body' on a news hour
was to start vocally analyzing the underlying psycholological makeup of
a legislator voting in a gun control bill? I can see it now, paraphrasing:
"What was he thinking?" almost immediately leading to the anchor's response
"I think you should clean out your desk now, to avoid rushing through it
tomorrow morning."
I can hope he gets a nice paid vacation for his efforts, like a couple of years
so Tommy Twelve Pack can forget his face. BUT IT WAS LIKELY SCRIPTED.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Blaming the gun, not the shooter.

Why not blame the pencil for a mis-spelled word!

If we banned pencils, no-one would spell words wrong anymore!
edit on 2-12-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well now if you went and banned pencils I'm sure they'd find another way to butcher the English language.

I hav absowutely no dowt anoder way wud be founded. Cood be dem keybard thangs I hard 'bout a time bak!

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Exactly.

I can remember back before guns were invented when humans never killed each other.

Ahhh, good times, good times.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Javon Belcher was a powerful, athletic football prayer and if he didnt have a gun he could have easily killed her with his bare hands (especially in a fit of rage)....I wonder what Bob Costas would have said then...probably something about the signs of domestic abuse, etc. but certainly not about gun control. The girlfriend/mother of his child with whom he shared a home in KC went out to a concert and then out drinking with friends while he, his mother and the 3 month old where home....he called her at least once to ask when she was coming home. She got home a little after 1am and then they had a fight....and again at 7am which escalated into the deadly tragedy. Maybe Bob Costas should have said something about mothers of little babies staying at home instead of going out partying....
edit on 2-12-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
You copy and paste a thread straight from another site as your own and don't even bother to correct the mistake in the title? MNF?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Agree or disagree, he has the right to say it just as you have the right to disagree with what he said.

Free speech anyone? That's the dirty side of it, allowing people to say the things that you don't agree with.

Anyway, not surprising as it's an NBC broadcast and I am sure he won't catch much flack from his bosses about it. It makes him look like a fool imo but that's another beauty of free speech, we get to hear the fools make fools of themselves in their own words.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ludshed

I haven't copied or pasted anything....

You are correct though, should be SNF....Sunday Night Football

Don't let the trees cloud your view of the forest.
edit on 2-12-2012 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I actually had the TV on NBC while Costas was delivering this. I wasn't actually watching the game, I never really do, just waiting til 7 when something else was on. However, when he got to the part that was clearly pro-gun control, it actually caused me to turn my head and watch with a little bit of surprise. But you have to keep in mind though that Bob Costas wasn't actually editorializing here, he was quoting an article from a sports columnist from FOXsports.com. Here is a link to the full article. Having said that, even though this was anothers words who Costas was relaying, it was still pro-gun control nonetheless because they decided to have him quote that precise part of the article, which is a crying shame because, after reading the article, Jason made some other good points about the tragedy especially in regards to our idolization of football (sports in general) and its players. And, a hint of irony, if you read the introduction for Jason Whitlock:

Jason Whitlock writes about the sports world from every angle, including those other writers can't imagine or muster courage to address. His columns are humorous, thought-provoking, agenda-free, honest and unpredictable.

Agenda-free? Not this article apparently.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Just ban the sale of bullets

case closed

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I caught this and couldn't believe it. I have no problem with free speech, it just seemed like a thinly veiled attempt at hocking a pro-gun control type position, taking advantage of this tragedy. Coupled with certain statements made to the media by the mayor of KC somewhere along the lines of "this is the danger of urban living and will be until we have gun legislation," I see that this event is being used, as they all are.

Belcher went to the University of Maine which is my home state and although I didn't know him I know a lot of people who did. Every last one of them is shocked based on his highly regarded character so I'm curious to see if this is another case of an athlete, particularly football player, who ends up succumbing to the damage done to his brain in the pursuit of a successful career.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

His Soapbox, has sportscaster written on it.

You are right though, he can say anything he likes, but I think if hes going to make his private views public, then he should at least do it with a pro/con approach. Having an opinion might get you fired. Especially when you do the NFL. Ask Rush Limbaugh..............

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotGames2

Anyone with an agenda is going to use a situation that can further that agenda to their advantage. They rarely care about the human cost as long as it gives them another plank to prop up that agenda.

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
Rahm Emanuel

www.brainyquote.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join