It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

strange skies in stockholm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
i don't speak or read swedish, but this looks to be an interesting sky phenomena featured in 'aftonbladet'. anyone got any ideas?

link to story - www.aftonbladet.se...

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Light Pillars

Never seen any but they must be an impressive spectacle.
Wonder how many witnesses have thought "aliens" or "God?"

More pics
edit on 2-12-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Nope, this is not the Northern Lights This light phenomenon was Stockholmers to look up in the sky and think that they ended up in the Arctic Circle last night. But there is no aurora - it's called light pillars. Photo: READER PICTURE A light phenomena of Solna region has puzzled over Sunday evening. 50th century images have been received by Aftonbladet and on Twitter speculated in what it can depend on. Some say the northern lights. But here is the answer - light pillars. And google results in English should search the "light pillars". - It is the light that is reflected in ice crystals that form in the air when it is cold now, says Joseph Runbäck, meteorologist at SMHI. He saw himself a related phenomenon on Sunday when he took a walk. - What I saw was a traditional halo effect that occurs when sunlight breaks through ice crystals and mirrored, says Joseph Runbäck. At night, the phenomenon can occur because the moon or artificial light sources shone, for example streetlights. "The color may vary depending on the light source color. Although the intensity may be different at different heights because the amount of ice crystals can vary with height and orientation of the crystals and purity "writes SMHI on their site. - I was hoping it would be aurora although I felt that it was impossible, says Lena looked pillars from his balcony in Frösunda. Northern lights on the other hand are formed by particle radiation from the sun, which in contact with the Earth's atmosphere creates undulating light phenomena in the sky, writes SMHI.

google translate; it's awesome.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Columns of light apparently beaming directly upwards from unshielded (and wastefully polluting) lights are sometimes visible during very cold weather. Plate shaped ice crystals, normally only present in high clouds, float in the air close to the ground and their horizontal facets reflect light back downwards.

The pillars are not physically over the lights or anywhere else in space for that matter ~ like all halos they are purely the collected light beams from all the millions of crystals which just happen to be reflecting light towards your eyes or camera.

Pretty cool looking!
Source

Unlike the crystals producing sun pillars, those making tall artificial light pillars need not be strongly tilted. The column producing pillars are approximately midway between the eye and the light source. The higher the crystals in the atmsphere, the taller is the pillar. When the crystals are very high - or the light sources are close - the pillars seem to radiate from overhead, the zenith.

February 18, 2009. Light pillars scrape the night sky over Victor, Idaho, on January 26. Normally seen in polar regions, the vertical columns of light have been appearing along with frigid temperatures at lower latitudes in winter months.
Source link 2

Light pillars appear when artificial light (shown in diagram above) or natural light bounces off the facets of flat ice crystals wafting relatively close to the ground.

edit on 2-12-2012 by zysin5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
looks a little like souron and his buddys

pretty tho, id like to have witnessed that, im stilling missing a view at a decent Aurora in my life

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
light pillars eh? cool. these are new to me. look kind of like those atmospheric 'sprites'.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

google translate; it's awesome.

duly noted.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

this looks very similar to my home

link

and a lovely pre xmas time to you RoScoLaz

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by derWeihnachtsmann

same to you, and happy christmas all at ATS

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Very interesting! It looks like captain Kirk and the gang are in mid-transport.

Beam me up Scotty!

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

It is almost the 21st. Testing of the Alien mass transporter beams for the primary invasion force. Looks like Stockholm is ground zero for the initial beachhead forces.

Run, run for your lives! lol

Beautiful as is all of Mother Nature.

P

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Don't believe the uplanders and their lies. They are the enemies of the north, traitors of the fatherland. Aftonbladet is a lying, deceiving newspaper. The photo is probably photoshopped.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Avgudar

Probably not photoshopped, as the lights have already been explained..

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Great thread Op.
THese look like the lights in Finland described in another thread.
Stay safe.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
does any one when this phenonmen started? have they always had light pillars up there?

and google doesn't say its a recent thing!

top topics

join