It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Tax:Families with one bread-winner pay highest tax in developed world of - 73 PER CENT

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Yes thats right, your read it right, single earner families in the UK with 2 adults and 2 children pay a whopping 73% in tax.

A new study shows households with two children and two adults, but only one bread-winner, pay about 73 per cent in tax - made up largely from income tax, national insurance contributions and the removal of some benefits.

It means these families take home just 27p in every £1 earned - up to three times less than families in comparative countries.
In Germany, families pay about 40 per cent tax while the figure in France is only 20 per cent.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

And Dave is busy sat in number 10 wondering why the UK economy is faltering, that is because we have no spare cash to spend in the shops after we have finished paying you. Families in the UK are really struggling, Children are not eating properly and they are going without basic sanitation and clothing. But it is all right, Starbucks and Google don't have to pay any tax because we as a nation are loaded due to the amount of tax I and others pay.

It is time for a REVOLT against this government, a vote of no confidence and the election of UKIP. We need to leave the leech that is the EU and we need to stop filling the trough's so that fat pig politicians can get them self fat off.

This is plainly unacceptable and needs to change NOW.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Are your "free" benefits really worth the cost?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

The whole system wants tearing up and starting a fresh. It is families like this that the benafits system was designed to protect but it is clearly doing the opposite.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Lemmie guess..... a certain % says the taxes still aren't high enough. Too much pain likely isn't seen as the problem, it's not enough for some folks and their ideas, right? 3/4's in taxes isn't working to live. It's living to work. What a way to go.....

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It has long been known that the British taxation system has been of the higher variety when compared with the rest of the world, but this is just ridiculous. I can barely afford to feed myself but the government still takes its 73% cut. I hope the system crashes, so that when my kids grow up there will be something different in place. Nothing can be worse than this version of "capitalism".

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Gotta pay high taxes.

Royal weddings are not cheap.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

You say that, but having a presidency is no cheaper. In fact the Obama administration costs 20 times more than the Royal Family to upkeep. The Royal Family debate is another topic to be discussed else where. What really needs addressing is the straight fact that families are in poverty in the UK and not just lower class families, the middle class are also being dragged into this. There is something plainly wrong about all of this.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Very few here even earn enough to pay tax!! Those that do are subsidising the likes of tescos etc who pay minimum wage or less, see the link in my sigy.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Income tax is only one part of Tax, we all pay national insurance if we work and we all pay stealth taxes and VAT. But put quite simply, many families are falling through the safety net. The ones that are earning slightly too much to not receive any government help but not quite enough to live a basic life. Inflation is out of control as is housing prices, we are in the deep mire and this government is so clueless that they are just making things worse.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Ahh I failed to see your point, yes we are subsidising the likes of Tesco's with benefit top ups on minimum wage. And it has to stop. Minimum wage should be that of a wage that you can actually live on without any help.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Not sure what Obama has to do with me.

Yes, agreed, there is a problem that needs to be fixed.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

I am not saying Obama has anything to do with you, I am just trying to make the point that any kind of head of state, be that a Royal Family or a Presidency, brings a cost. Thus getting rid of the Royal Family may not necessarily save us any money as a tax payer. In fact it might cost us more as the Royals do bring in a lot of tourism directed solely at them.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
how are prince harry, prince william and his bride supposed to support themselves. by working?

buckingham palace just doesn't run itself you know. billions of pounds in the her majesty's treasury has to be there to take care of the entire free loading family, not just herself.

keep working hard, and who knows, the queen might actually wave to you. surely thats worth the highest taxation rate in the world.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
how are prince harry, prince william and his bride supposed to support themselves. by working?

buckingham palace just doesn't run itself you know. billions of pounds in the her majesty's treasury has to be there to take care of the entire free loading family, not just herself.

keep working hard, and who knows, the queen might actually wave to you. surely thats worth the highest taxation rate in the world.

Each tax payer paying 69 pence a year is hardly going to cause anything like this, is it? You can barely buy a chocolate bar with 69 pence these days, the cost is insignificant.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
A slightly for factual article is on this British money/budgeting site

The issue is that as soon as one parent is earning more than £50,000 the system will start to claw back benefit payments through the tax system. For every pound more than £50,000 that you earn (up to £60,000) more and more of the benefit is clawed back.

Accountants Smith & Williamson did the maths for The Telegraph and discovered that everything you earn between £50,000 and £60,000 is effectively taxed at 52% if you have one child. If you have four children it is taxed at a staggering 73%. That means 73p in every pound you earn goes straight to the government. That's far higher than the rate on a millionaire's income - even if he or she pays their taxes!

So for starters you ahve to be earning UKL50k per annum - which is a decent amount.

And the 73% is not the tax rate on the total income - it is the marginal tax rate on earnings from UKL50k to UKL60k

It is pretty weird - but it is a common "trap" when people earning more money start losing govt benefits that are aimed at lesser incomes.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Ahh I failed to see your point, yes we are subsidising the likes of Tesco's with benefit top ups on minimum wage. And it has to stop. Minimum wage should be that of a wage that you can actually live on without any help.

We seem to have lost our way when it comes to wages. We are now taught that we should all "pay our way" through life, and that I agree with, but were also being taught that we shouldn't expect any more than that.
If I work for a company who's profits are in the billions, and I work a full week, then I expect that company to pay me a wage that not only allows me to survive, but also enables me to save money for holidays etc, afford a mortgage and live comfortably.
Sadly I see the day coming where we all have to work and we'll be paid with credits that give us our food entitlement and somewhere to sleep, and nothing else!

We are slaves.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I really appreciate being harassed if I have underpaid by £20 to HMRC when this is going on...our gubmint sure is looking out for it's people.....

www.bbc.co.uk...
www.managementtoday.co.uk...
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

The system is biased in favour of the corporation against the individual, disregarding all sense of morality. I seriously despair for the future of the human race when our "leaders" prioritize mega-conglomerates before the individual well-being/survival.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I agree with your sentiments entirely. I have had the debate about us being modern slaves before and I stand by my opinion then that we are all modern day slaves, well at least the working classes who have to pay tax by PAYE.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
have any good carpenters?

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
have any good carpenters?

upload.wikimedia.org...

That's one thing the French got right, they reminded their leaders that they were expendable whereas the people and their roles were not.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join