It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm convinced that Negative thinking is good, and Optimism is messing up society

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I had a beautiful dream of the light;
but then I woke up to the darkness of the night...

The more we hide behind happy faces and positive thinking, the more we IGNORE and become selective to see only what we WANT to see, in other words, not living in reality but in a ILLUSION. Believing that the future will be "good" , only gets you to relax and to let down your guard...

It can cause anxiety by the slightest negative thought, once you are to accustomed to the comfort of positive thinking, anxiety may happen in an inescapable negative situation... But by thinking of the WORSE, you are already prepared if the worse happens, or if not, at least you were prepared. If something bad does happen, you'll feel less worried because at least the WORSE didn't happen. It will not be as offensive if someone insults you or says something against your belief system since you were expecting the worse anyway, and you will not be surprised if the ones you love let you down.

You will make fewer mistakes, being aware of the worse, you will not get your "hopes up" when things appear to be going "good" and then be let down when they don't. You will have better judgment and be less gullible.

People are taught to open their hearts, to just be "positive", and "ignore" negative - but the more you walk in carelessness and apathy, the more you overlook how negative potential increases in your life. You do what you love and the risk becomes greater and you are not prepared as you didn't think of the worse.

Understanding that life is nothing but a progress to death, each second of life is a second closer to dying, and that being "let down" and "pain" and "conflict" is inescapable in life, what else could there be to fear?

People are living in their own "light" in their own "mind" making choices in life without thinking of the worse, and then being "surprised" when the bad happens.

Religions teach the same, It teaches you to love your enemy even when they clearly do not give a crap about you. It is the perfect way for an enemy to trick you and manipulate you. It teaches you to always fear pain and suffering and stay away from it (hell) - which can be used to control if you scare people with pain - and also tells you to stay with the fantasy of "all joy and happiness" (heaven).

Most people in society are optimistic and look at the world we have today...

overlooking those in need, ignoring reality thinking it is in "God's " hands, allowing yourself to be controlled.

Unfortunately , Negativity seems more powerful than Positivity. It takes so more energy to create and build, but only a second to destroy....

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Every situation calls for different things. There definitely is certain kinds of positive thinking that becomes destructive however, I'll give you that.

Especially when destructive actions are masked in positive thought. So-to-speak.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
By being a realistic, skeptical person. I find that I am never caught off guard by anything that happens.

Why? you ask. Because I always expect the worst possible outcome.

And surprise, surprise! Reality never lets me down. Yup, it never fails. The real world can always be counted on to dish out the worst crap at exactly the least opportune time.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Originally posted by boncho
Every situation calls for different things. There definitely is certain kinds of positive thinking that becomes destructive however, I'll give you that.

Especially when destructive actions are masked in positive thought. So-to-speak.

I'm not talking about action. I'm talking about outlook, and from my perspective, it seems most sense to be aware of what could go wrong. Expect the worse and never be disappointed - even if the worse doesn't happen, any negativity will be less than what you would have suspected, and if it is the worse at least you were prepared. Acting without seeing the negative will cause you to make more mistakes and overlook things..

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Yeah but people who are being pessimistic all the time set themselves up for negative consequences. I think the key is being a realistic optimist.

Case in point. You haven't really studied throughout school, are terrible with organization, yet you bank something on getting a job or placement simply because you have a degree. That is unrealistic optimism. On the other hand, you might not have the same degree as a competitor for a certain job, but you have a stellar track record with practical history and you are proactive in your dealings with employers. You are confident in getting the job.

One's realistic, one isn't.

One gets all upset when they were looked over, the other goes to look for new job openings.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Positive thought reinforces positive actions.

NGE: Asuka; I don't want to die.

SS

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

People have the right to be angry about what they do not like, and just because a person is complaining that does not mean that they aren't aware that they are FORCED to get a job to make a living in this society..

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
You know, my life ain't been the easiest road trip a man can embark on. There's been hard ground, cruel people, rainy days, and cold nights. But through all that, I'm convinced that it's optimism that has kept me from killing myself many times over, even when I really wanted to, when I thought there was no reason to be on earth. And it's the negative thinking that always tempted me. I don't see how negative thinking can help unless it's keeping us alive for the optimism. But if negative thinking is only keeping us alive for more negative thinking, what's the point? Where's the joy?

Negativity only goes so far. Eventually, you get something good and you destroy or lose it because you're too negative to enjoy it. At least when you're optimistic, you can be stuck waist deep in a pile of crap and you'll think, "Oh, look, the sun's out! Sweet!"

Where negativity reminds of us everything that's going wrong, sometimes it's just good to be able to sit down, look around, and be thankful for what we have. That's what I call optimism. Because no matter what, it can ALWAYS be worse. And honestly, I'm thankful it isn't.
edit on 2-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by boncho

People have the right to be angry about what they do not like, and just because a person is complaining that does not mean that they aren't aware that they are FORCED to get a job to make a living in this society..

You are missing the point unfortunately. That was just an example.

Take the same thing and relate it to sports or music. Something that is considered fun and not necessarily work. Two people with optimistic expectations, one being realistic and one not. The one who has realistic expectations will do well and be quite happy with their success in their art/sport. The other one may end up blaming everyone but themselves because they didn't obtain _______ out of their effort.

And for the people on the other end of the spectrum, who thought negatively in the first place, either didn't even try or felt it was a waste of time offering up the effort.
edit on 2-12-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
But if negative thinking is only keeping us alive for more negative thinking, what's the point? Where's the joy?

Well, and if it's for joy, what's the point? Unless you make joy the point and make the point be joy, for circular reasoning...

Eventually, you get something good and you destroy or lose it because you're too negative to enjoy it.

Whether you enjoy it or not, that will not change the reality that things eventually die and break. So you'll "lose" it either way...

At least when you're optimistic, you can be stuck waist deep in a pile of crap and you'll think, "Oh, look, the sun's out! Sweet!"

And what would be the point of that? If you make "joy" the point, then that has nothing to do with reality, just your view. It is just your focus on "joy" or "love" in the middle of a pointless reality...

reply to post by boncho

Originally posted by boncho
And for the people on the other end of the spectrum, who thought negatively in the first place, either didn't even try or felt it was a waste of time offering up the effort.

Who cares if they felt it was a "waste" of time or not? People spend their life getting to goals, but it is all pointless. What will that mean after a billion years? Absolutely nothing..

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

This happened to be the quote I committed to memory today:

Be positive... or be quiet.

God said to Jeremiah..."Do not say you are too young"...and the reason is because negative thinking defeats us before we begin.

There is another theory that a thought is like a conception of an idea while speaking it aloud is like giving birth to the conception and affording it life.

There are so many theories that claim things like "Think it and you will become it" or others along those lines. "Act as if you already think it, and your heart will follow" is another one bandied about.

There are 3 habits of successful people and one of those is a positive rather than defeatist outlook.

Friends were into a book called The Secret awhile back which seemed to me nothing more than the already proved theory "Like attracts like."

The most successful patients at cancer regression therapy, which involves a vivid imagination, were children. Children were far more successful imaging cancer cells being killed by T-Cells because their brains were not yet hard wired for failure.

You are what you think.

I imagine there is something to it that we don't fully understand.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I agree sir. With this outlook, one becomes pleasantly surprised more often. Bliss is found in the unexpected. But sometimes optimism is needed in order to persist when times are difficult.

Read Arthur Schopenhaur. You may feel refreshed by his pessimism.
edit on 2-12-2012 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

The secret is garbage. I believed in that crap for a couple of years, I was young and stupid so I know for a fact it doesn't work, of if you "Believe" it does - you are just taking coincidences in order to use that as some type of "evidence" for your belief in it.

People imagine many things that do not come true. What about the children that believe they can fly and wind up jumping over houses and killing themselves? Sorry, but it is either coincidence or non-sense.

Of course relaxing the body makes the body work better, but either way, each moment lived is a moment closer to death...

Of course, successful people are more positive. It is all about luring people into their business and if you be negative people will stay away from your business - people like the "dream" - the "fantasy", so appeal to that and you are likely to do better.

It doesn't make it the truth or reality, however...
edit on 2-12-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I find that those who always look at the positive never prepare for the worst. They also have a lot more to lose when it hits the fan because their world shatters.

I wouldn't say I'm negative though in my outlook. I live my life in a grey area. I can see positive results from an outcome but am always aware of the dangers that lurk around the corner.

It also leads to a better understanding of human nature as well. Those who live too far on the positive have a very difficult time understanding or making any sense of anything that happens outside of that spectrum.

Besides, these so called "happy" people can still be extremely viscous to preserve their facade when it is threatened or encroached upon by someone not sharing the same views.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

Exactly. Everything is "love and light" until someone doesn't agree. Then the "oh, you're so negative!" type of talk starts to happen, when THEY are the ones who are annoyed by another person voicing their views..

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Well then....

Lets just hope that reality matches what ever positive delusion your living in... otherwise youll be back to suicide huh?

I'm wondering if theres any way we could avoid this. Do you have any ideas?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Well, and if it's for joy, what's the point? Unless you make joy the point and make the point be joy, for circular reasoning...

To enjoy life. Experience it. Do you really not understand the point of joy?

Whether you enjoy it or not, that will not change the reality that things eventually die and break. So you'll "lose" it either way...

That's the definition of negative thinking. Be optimistic - no matter what you lose, there's still something you have. Unless you die. Then you're not really worried about it anyway. Of course, there's a lot of situations you might find yourself in, where life looks a lot worse than death. But if that's not what you're facing right now, what's the point of thinking that way?

And what would be the point of that? If you make "joy" the point, then that has nothing to do with reality, just your view. It is just your focus on "joy" or "love" in the middle of a pointless reality...

Life is only pointless if you see it that way. It's all in how you use it. If you make someone happy, someone you care about, doesn't that validate your existence? Isn't that something worth living for? The joy of your existence giving someone something to smile about. That's something of value, for sure.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

That's the definition of negative thinking. Be optimistic - no matter what you lose, there's still something you have. Unless you die. Then you're not really worried about it anyway. Of course, there's a lot of situations you might find yourself in, where life looks a lot worse than death. But if that's not what you're facing right now, what's the point of thinking that way?

Well the truth is, things are made and then die/break. I'm not talking about "worrying" about anything. Just being aware.

reply to post by arpgme

Life is only pointless if you see it that way.

No, life is only purposeful, if you see it that way. You aren't born looking at life with a meaning, that is something learned. Or if a person feel like they don't have a meaning they search for one and give their own meaning - they give their own meaning because it has no purpose.

reply to post by arpgme

If you make someone happy, someone you care about, doesn't that validate your existence?

Life needs no validation it's just happening. Validated by who, anyway? An arbitrary being in the midst of a pointless existence?

edit on 2-12-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Great OP, very logic and reasoned.
However, there's another theory that says that what you really want and what you believe in will happen...

Personally I seem to never get what I want even when I'm positive about it, so I learned to think like you.

Expect the worst, hope for the best. More preparations, less deceptions.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

Originally posted by theMediator
Great OP, very logic and reasoned.
However, there's another theory that says that what you really want and what you believe in will happen...

Exactly. That theory is garbage, and there is evidence. Look at these people in third world countries who believe deeply in their gods, but are starving and pray for food. The food doesn't come however, for most, and if it does, then they are just the lucky ones, have nothing to do with their wanting it and believing it will happen.

People want things all the time, and believing they'll get what they want all the time, and then it just leads to shock and disappointment when it doesn't turn out that way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join