It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The movie, "In Time" has really sent me into a severe depression....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
First off, I want to say that if you haven't seen the movie yet, that this thread deserves a SPOILER ALERT...

I finally got to watch this movie two nights ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it. AT FIRST!! You see as I watched it, I couldn't help but to compare how in the movie, "TIME" was the currency by how you lived and also how long you lived. I then could not help but compare how in todays world and society, that "MONEY" is used in very much the same way.

For those of you who haven't seen it and plan too, this is where you might want to stop reading....

In the movie, once you were born, you had 25 years to live before your life started its countdown to death. Keep in mind, in the movie, time is currency, you run out of time, you die. They don't get into this part on how it was made possible, but everyone basically has a timer on their forearm that showed how much time you had left. If the time run down to ZERO, your dead.

People were segragated to where they lived based on the time they had. A poor person, living in a slum type neighborhood, had to work every day to just live to see the next day. If they wanted a cup of coffee, they put their arm under a device that would deduct 3 min. from their "life clock". The poor people usually worked day by day to just earn enough time to make sure that they HAD to go to work the following day or they would run out of time and die.

Those who controlled the time, also controlled the prices. By raising prices, people died due to the fact they didn't have enough time to purchase food. You see if they run out of time they would die. The wealthy lived in different sectors that the poor couldn't get into, because to move into a different sector, you had to pay with time. Thus keeping those without, trapped in the situation the basically were born into and away from the wealthier class above them.

I really could not help but to see how comparable this movie was to how things are in this world today when it comes to wealth and how people are enslaved to a very similar system where those without die and those with live quite comfortably on the backs of those who work for them.

If you were born wealthy, you had all the time and luxuries in the world. If you were born poor, you basically could look forward to fighting for your life just to live.

I am really bothered by this movie and I wonder if it was actually done to wake those of us up who are caught up into the same type of system that we have today.......

Yes! I know it was just a movie, but at the same time it was the similarities of "Time" in the movie, and "Money" that we live and die by in todays world.

I was just wondering, if this movie had the same affect on any of my fellow ATSers and if anyone came away with the same feelings that I now have?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Thank you for the tip, have not seen it yet but putting it to my cart. I watched the trailer in youtube and looks like a great movie.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The movie, "In Time" has really sent me into a severe depression...

Perhaps that is all part of the plan...

Haven't seen the film but don't forget who owns Hollywood and what the real agenda is...

This search will give you some clues if you need them...

I am really bothered by this movie and I wonder if it was actually done to wake those of us up who are caught up into the same type of system that we have today.......

Somehow I believe that waking up the population is the last thing they want to do.

EDIT:

BTW time is all part of the "great lie".

We ALL live forever and that knowledge has been hidden from us since the beginning of time.

edit on 2-12-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Somehow I believe that waking up the population is the last thing they want to do.

I tend to agree with you, however, it seems no matter what the cause you will always have insiders that will somehow try to get the truth out.

On the flip side, I talked to my brother last night and asked him if he saw the movie and he said he hadn't. Then when I told him a little about it, he said, "Oh yea, I did see it!", but he didn't comprehend it as had I. After we talked he finally said, "I never thought of it that way, but your right.".

edit on 2-12-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

"TIME" was the currency by how you lived and also how long you lived. I then could not help but compare how in todays world and society, that "MONEY" is used in very much the same way.

Time is money.

When the RFID chips are fully introduced could this movie become reality? This film should be a eye opener.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yeah, great movie...I watched it the other night

Had quite an impact...we often don't see the forest for the trees.

Although it was only a movie, the analogy to money is unmistakeable and I would posit that it is a wake up call for those who haven't cottoned on yet to that part of the deception...a real thought provoker for sure

We as humanity are going through great changes...as you all know, and the breaking down of old thought programes can be a frieghtening thing, but always enlightning...

Governments good
Money
Religion
War
Time
Me v's you = seperation...

And round and round we go...But not for much longer

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
While i must say i didn't like the movie myself, I too was depressed after watching it.

I realized i would never have Olivia Wilde. Yeah.........

edit on 2-12-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Well I thought the analogy that time is money in the movie, was intentionally and blatant. You are docked time for things, you earn time, etc.

I had no idea I was supposed to get it. lol

The class segregation, the way suddenly gaining obscene time renders you one of the elite, etc.

not really a spoiler if it's just the plot, I don't think.

No as for the Walking Dead, I wish they'd stop posting as soon as it's aired.. I still have to download it yet

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Well now i know.. It was a great movie just don´t think Justin is a good actor tho, but as a young fellow acceptable

I liked the wits and time quotations. The idea of not aging after 25 years weird and brings other questions like if you have a flu when you have your 25 birthday will you have nose runnng for the rest of your life, but i got the idea these people were never sick.. hospitals needed only for injuries but not long term illnesses.

It presented a twisted idea if time was inteed money, the power of elite and power of depopulation and total control on everything was depressing idea but will not let it overtake me

Great movie...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
To me the movie was a very simplistic metaphor so obvious that if you didn't "get it" you must be brain dead. It could have been concocted by a couple of ATS members with film skills who thought they were being insightful and were searching for flags and stars. Either that or they're trolling.

But it set me to thinking about how "stuck" individual members of society are in the culture in which they live and how fatalistic a lot of us are about our position, status, wealth, etc. It's really a "woe is me, I hate the Bad Guys 1%" culture, but does it have a basis in truth?

For example, in Victorian England culture you were born into a place, and because of that place you had a title and, perhaps, wealth. If you were born poor and grew up with a Cockney accent, there was very little chance you could do well unless you were good at a life of crime. The classes did not mix. The same was true in Rome. You had essentially four classes: Patrician, Equestrian, Plebian, and slave. Now Equestrian and Patrician could interact, even marry. Plebians could be promoted to Equestrian for good work. Slaves could be freed and turned into Plebians, and once in a great while a slave could become Equestrian over time. There WAS movement between the classes.

Now what about us? Are you "stuck," bro? Really? Let's look. Now Bill Gates was born rich. His father was a well-known lawyer and he went to Lakeside High School, the most pretigious there is. There is a story about a kid who was bragging he got a ride on his father's Lear Jet. Only it turns out it was leased. The other kids said, "Anyone can lease a Lear Jet, so no big deal." Allen, on the other hand, was the son of two librarians, but his advantage was that he got to go to Lakeside, too, then Harvard. Gates is a physical genius--really, so despite their lucky birth, they still had to have an idea and carry it forward. Still, they've never known poverty, either one of them.

Now contrast that to Steve Jobs. Son of very middle class, even lower-middle class parents, Jobs was socially inept. He managed a few semesters of college before dropping out. Then he met Wozniak, son of an aeronautical engineer, a little higher on the social scale if it weren't for the fact that he was even more socially inept than Jobs, a total geeky, fat, nerdy fellow. But these two idiot savants, and that's what they effectively were, changed the world and got themselves into the 1% in the process, something that is repeated time and time again.

Now statistically speaking you are only going to advance one class in a generation. I was raised in a very borderline poverty situation where people picked beans in the summer to stay alive. My Dad was an alcoholic who couldn't hold a job and didn't live at home most of the time and had a girlfriend on the side. But my parents had a vision that I would get an education, and that is what made the difference. And I maintain that education is the key "leveller" as far as "class" is concerned. I don't mean a proscribed curriculum; I mean "education" in the broad sense of learning to do something useful and valuable that other people will pay you well to do.

For my part I was lucky because it was just assumed I would get an education, by hook or by crook, by grants or scholatships, by working while going to school, by learning frugality in expenses, and by not making babies as soon as possible. And also, importantly, by not succumbing to taking a job at the plant at $4.00 an hour like my high school buddies, watching them buy hot cars and party, while I struggled with a $200 VW and $1.25 an hour. That's the lure of quick riches. I just kept my head down and got my first degree before I even knew it.

So now my high school buddies who worked at the plant for those ridiculously high wages of $4.00 an hour can't retire from it because the plant is closed and they can't find work. Meanwhile, at least by some measures, I'm in the 1%. Is that an accident? Well, yeah, it is because i didn't realize how well I was positioning myself at the time. It wasn't really intentional. Does that mean I get invited to Donald Trump's parties or dinner at the White House? Of course not. That's another social barrier, but Steve Jobs, who started a single rung above me, did. But then, he contributed something useful to society. He had vision and talent and he was justly rewarded for it.

Now not everyone is a genius like Wozniak or Gates, or has the marketing expertise of Jobs, or gets lucky like all three. But I maintain if you have the energy and desire to move from one rung to the next in this society, you can. And it's more possible right here than any other culture now or in history. In many other cultures it's impossible. Here it isn't. If you are the least bit intelligence you can do it.

If you are lazy or stupid, sorry. I'm sure you can find someone else to blame.
edit on 12/3/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Honestly, I don't know WTF you are talking about??????

If you can't see how those who control the wealth are controlling the world, please help us all and go bury your head in the sand......

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by schuyler

Honestly, I don't know WTF you are talking about??????

I'm not surprised. I don't think you really wanted to. It doesn't really matter who is in control, or what fiction someone believes about who is in control based on his political conditioning. Someone or group will be. As long as it is not some rabid fool who has a fervent cause, I'm fine with it. The fiction that someone else is in charge is convenient because that means you need take no responsibility at all. Nothing can possibly be your fault, so let's blame the Illuminati or [pick your favorite bad Guys(tm) here].

The real issue is how much latitude an individual has to traverse the socio/economic divides, how much personal freedom does an individual have in that regard. If you actually take the time to examine other societies of the past--and present, from the Chinese Huang Dynasty to Victorian England to the Baath hierarchy in Iraq, or even in modern day Brazil, I think you will find the ability to traverse these divides for an individual is infinitely easier here than it is or has been elsewhere. This has as much to do with the attitude of the people within the culture as it does who controls it. I've already presented some excellent examples above.

But as John Wayne said, "Life is hard. Life is harder if you're stupid." Equality of opportunity does not mean equality of achievement, a fallacy that too many people here have fallen into, the idea that equality should be had with no apparent effort on your part. You cannot be declared a genius by political decree. And if your "depressed" because of a silly movie, then you'll never get anywhere because you are so involved in self-pity. Attitude is as important as intelligence.

top topics

join