It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increasing the moons reflectivity to save Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I just saw the report on CNN that says Carbon Dioxide increased 2 ppm in our atmosphere....in 1 YEAR!

What if we increased the moons reflectivity so Photosynthesis could be increased? Plants getting more light at night from the moon reflecting light back at Earth. If we could increase the moons reflectivity do you think we could kick start more photosynthesis to lower our CO2 in the atmosphere?

I say we use all our nukes and nuke the moon. A moon with glass craters from nuclear bomb craters would reflect more light. Something has to be done....China and India are smoking the planet out.
edit on 2-12-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

That doesn't make any sense.

It would be way easier to just launch all our Nukes here on earth. If we get rid of all the people CO2 would drop off precipitously.

Yes, my way is much more practical and fun

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Altering the light cycle of plants has negative effects on their growth and reproduction.

Plants need their rest just like people do.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

so if we nuked the moon, and somthing happened to the moon. it is possible that the entire tide system in the oceans will go haywire, possibly damaging the earth, and destroying life. i dont think it would a good gamble.
its the only moon we got, and once its gone, we are gone. plus the extra light generated by glass on the moon would be insignificant, and say by some miracle that it did make enough light to raise photosynthesis, plants are based off a night and day schedual and messing with take could cause mass plant extictions.

epic thread fail.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

if people want greater ` carbon capture ` by bio-mass - they should reduce deforestation - simples

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
How about a solar shade parked at a lagrange point?
It would reduce the amount of light and provide jobs at the same time.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
I just saw the report on CNN that says Carbon Dioxide increased 2 ppm in our atmosphere....in 1 YEAR!

What if we increased the moons reflectivity so Photosynthesis could be increased? Plants getting more light at night from the moon reflecting light back at Earth. If we could increase the moons reflectivity do you think we could kick start more photosynthesis to lower our CO2 in the atmosphere?

I say we use all our nukes and nuke the moon. A moon with glass craters from nuclear bomb craters would reflect more light. Something has to be done....

Glass would not reflect more light, it would internally scatter it, warming up the moon.

Moonlight is only around 1/500,000th the light from the sun. So even if you increased it by 1000x it you'd still not be getting anything useful.

The best way to increase photosynthesis is to plant more trees.

And it would be vast cheaper to simply retool industry to be carbon negative, rather than nuke the entire moon.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Many outdoor growers would become irritated since their plants wouldnt flower as fast.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
There is an old chinese saying as to what could be luckier than 10 sons; because you would have ten times the crops. But according to legend someone shot 9 of those sons out of the sky with arrows. I think using the moon as a place to have a nuclear reactor would work better than just nuking it. The Orion rockets even sound extremely environmentally disasterous if launched from the moon (or anywhere really). I would be interested in seeing if nuclear reactors could be used for farming radiation resistant crops like the black fungus growing in chernobyl or sprig of accacia.

top topics

join