It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1938 mobile phone?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
well, she does look like she's talking on a mobile. sort of.

The large woman to the phone girls left looks simular to the woman from the 1926 "The Circus" Charlie Chaplin Time traveler clip.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

Hey you stole my avatar !!

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
If you watch when she comes around the coroner into view...the short girl 2 people to her left is talkin to her. And when she puts her hand down she turns her head to her left to respond to the short girl. It looks like she is flirting with the camera and covering her bruised face with an eyeglass case or sunglasses case.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
If you watch when she comes around the coroner into view...the short girl 2 people to her left is talkin to her. And when she puts her hand down she turns her head to her left to respond to the short girl. It looks like she is flirting with the camera and covering her bruised face with an eyeglass case or sunglasses case.

Where are the bruises?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by earthalien50

I mean that as far as I am concerned it is a 1938 clip. Everything is historically correct, well except maybe for the thing the girl is holding.

Compacts at that time contained either loose powder or a powder puff that had been powdered, but I have to check when pressed powder was introduced. So a compact I don't think. It could be a blusher.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I dunno how long those satellite phones for the Army/airforce etc been in existance but that is exactly what it appears to be (If near some base like Montauk they'd have had a satellite...) Also the lady next to her looks like my aunt who was in the airforce. I am thinking this was a military movie or documantary maybe...IDK???
edit on 3-12-2012 by ldyserenity because: damn lagging

edit on 3-12-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
reply to post by QueenofWeird

Given the fact that were no cell towers in 1938, I'm inclined to believe it's not a cell phone.

Glad to see you're not inclined to believe it's a cell phone, I'd be very concerned about how much star trek voyager you've been watching if you'd thought otherwise.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
That reminds me of the Charlie Chaplin film (as mentioned above). Both people sure do look like they ARE using a cellphone..but perhaps we see what we are conditioned to see?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I don't think this is a cell phone she is carrying i know back then they had hand held hearing aids they were about the same size of a large cell phone..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

It looks like her left eye and her lower right side of her chin. ....is that the film or am I seeing bruises?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

This has been debunked tons and tons of times. If they had that technology back then don't you think that NASA would have had better equipment to send the astronauts to the moon.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
It looks like a velvet eyeglass case to me...or some kind of a fancy cigarette holder....

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

Yes a cigarette holder could very well be the item.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
maybe she's just screwing around ... a guy on Survivor spent a good deal of time "talking" into a coconut ....

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I dunno how long those satellite phones for the Army/airforce etc been in existance but that is exactly what it appears to be (If near some base like Montauk they'd have had a satellite...)

By their very nature the one prerequisite for a satellite phone is a satellite and as the first artificial satellite wasn't successfully launched until 1957 that pretty much disproves that theory.

Whilst I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of this being a time traveller using some sort of communications device I do however suspect that it is far more likely that there is a much more boring and mundane explanation.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz

This has been debunked tons and tons of times. If they had that technology back then don't you think that NASA would have had better equipment to send the astronauts to the moon.
Could you please explain this? If a time traveler goes back in time then that time period wouldn't have the technologies shown. Only the time traveler would (or someone that had access to that time traveler)

If you're saying that "We" had that technologies back then, well then you're problably correct (remembering back durring the Great War [or WW1] the US had fully automatic rifles that could have been deployed with the troops, but instead stuck with the bolt-action rifles so that the enemy wouldn't get their hands on it. This is why the BAR wasn't used durring that war.)

So sure it could be a Time Traveler (most likely) or it could be something we already had (less likely)

I still think that the woman to the phone girls left looks like the phone woman from the Chaplin film.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Like I said I didn't know how old those systems were...but I only recall the ones we had at training looked ancient lol they also had cords, but I was thinking maybe the cord was obscured somehow. I wish I could see it clearer like a very good close up. It may be just a small purse and she was scratching her face, or an eyglasses case. For reading glasses or those old time cigarette cases. I don't think it's a time traveller though. I wish it was but I don't think so, why would they send a woman? She'd be really out of place in that era because they couldn't vote, everything was different they had a lot less freedoms etc. Could be she chose to go to investigate that stuff though to see how it was for a woman in the time? I don't know.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Ok, just for fun lets say it was a cell phone, who in the hell are you going to call if there are no cell towers? Having a cell phone without any cell towers is like having a car with no gas. Not sure if she was talking to herself or the person walking next to her, but I am pretty certain that it wasn't a cell phone.

Who says that the mode of transmission is cellular in the timeline of the time traveler, and why would a time traveler bring a cell phone to the past when they know that it would not work. The device she is using has the ability to us RF as well.

Geez.
edit on 4-12-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

I don't think it's a time traveller though. I wish it was but I don't think so, why would they send a woman? She'd be really out of place in that era because they couldn't vote, everything was different they had a lot less freedoms etc. Could be she chose to go to investigate that stuff though to see how it was for a woman in the time? I don't know.
What does voting have to do with anything? If anything a woman time traveler would make sense. Maybe she wanted to see the womens rights movement and how it started. A woman wouldn't have been watched with suspection as much as a guy acting odd would have been.

I think a better question here is what would a time traveler be doing there at that moment in time?

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Who says that the mode of transmission is cellular in the timeline of the time traveler, and why would a time traveler bring a cell phone to the past when they know that it would not work. The device she is using has the ability to us RF as well.

Geez.[
It could also be a small HAM radio unit.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join