It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "I Told You So" Thread You May Never Read!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Deep Solar Minimum
April 1, 2009: The sunspot cycle is behaving a little like the stock market. Just when you think it has hit bottom, it goes even lower.

2008 was a bear. There were no sunspots observed on 266 of the year's 366 days (73%). To find a year with more blank suns, you have to go all the way back to 1913, which had 311 spotless days: plot. Prompted by these numbers, some observers suggested that the solar cycle had hit bottom in 2008.

Maybe not. Sunspot counts for 2009 have dropped even lower. As of March 31st, there were no sunspots on 78 of the year's 90 days (87%).

It adds up to one inescapable conclusion: "We're experiencing a very deep solar minimum," says solar physicist Dean Pesnell of the Goddard Space Flight Center.

"This is the quietest sun we've seen in almost a century," agrees sunspot expert David Hathaway of the Marshall Space Flight Center.

Deep Solar Minimum

Above: The sunspot cycle from 1995 to the present. The jagged curve traces actual sunspot counts. Smooth curves are fits to the data and one forecaster's predictions of future activity. Credit: David Hathaway, NASA/MSFC.

Quiet suns come along every 11 years or so. It's a natural part of the sunspot cycle, discovered by German astronomer Heinrich Schwabe in the mid-1800s. Sunspots are planet-sized islands of magnetism on the surface of the sun; they are sources of solar flares, coronal mass ejections and intense UV radiation. Plotting sunspot counts, Schwabe saw that peaks of solar activity were always followed by valleys of relative calm—a clockwork pattern that has held true for more than 200 years: plot.

The current solar minimum is part of that pattern. In fact, it's right on time. "We're due for a bit of quiet—and here it is," says Pesnell.
science.nasa.gov...

I hope you guys claiming "crazy solar activity" can read a graph.....it's from 2009, but before you post nonsense, do the follow up and see what experts in the field are saying now.....That projected increase in activity never happened.

EDIT:
You know what, here.....

Coming Solar Minimum Could Chill the Earth, New Forecast Predicts
Sunspots may be entering a hibernation period unseen in 400 years
By Rebecca BoylePosted 06.15.2011

Activity in the sun is building toward an expected peak sometime in 2013. Yet, despite a few notable solar flares, things are strangely calm. There are fewer sunspots in this cycle than expected, and they’re fainter than usual, for instance.

Based on these sets of findings, which were presented Tuesday at the annual meeting of the American Astronomical Society's Solar Physics Division in Las Cruces, N.M., heliophysicists believe the current solar cycle, Cycle 24, could be the last one for a while. The sun might be entering a period of hibernation.
www.popsci.com...

Earth's Energy Budget Remained Out of Balance Despite Unusually Low Solar Activity
by Adam Voiland for NASA's Earth Science News
Greenbelt MD (SPX) Jan 31, 2012

Total solar irradiance, the amount of energy produced by the sun that reaches the top of each square meter of the Earth's atmosphere, typically declines by about a tenth of a percent during cyclical lulls in solar activity caused by shifts in the sun's magnetic field. Usually solar minimums occur about every eleven years and last a year or so, but the most recent minimum persisted more than two years longer than normal, making it the longest minimum recorded during the satellite era.
www.terradaily.com...

I doubt the "scholars"
here will admit they were wrong about the sun being the source for "end of days". This post will be ignored and you guys will act out of ignorance and inspired by sensationalism, spreading the fear to all who would listen....

You are no better than the cults that invented this lie of "Mayan apocalypse" BS.....

edit on 4-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Reply to post by honested3

Nice first thread! I've actually had the "noone will be online or have time to say told-ya-so" many times. Honestly, I'd rather thing stay ok enough to hear the "haha you were wrong"s. Beyond that, prep for what ya can. Pray over what ya can't prep for. Three days...may I recommend black plastic, duct tape and blessed candles if that is a recurrent concern for you... Other glitches: shelter, water, heat/cooking means. Prep and Pray and welcome to the (ats) fray!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

the source of all of this comes from my heart, what I believe and feel

Spoken like a boss

if I am wrong you will shove it in my face, and I will eat it and leave anyways.

How about you stay and we will share in the "I told you so cake" that may get thrown from both sides.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jough626
How does this keep happening???

Why do people continue to say the Mayan said "it will be the end of the world"???

I've never seen that and I've never seen anyone say they said that. It's only said by debunkers, so yeah, good job, they didn't say it. So I guess that means it won't happen??

I haven't seen one program that says that's what the Mayans said. Where are you reading from/getting your info? Ancient Aliens? One of those frustrating History Channel shows with an hour slot to play 18 minutes of content?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
youtu.be...

I think ill trust these guys along with my common sense, and past dooms day failures to not buy into the 2012 hype.
edit on 4-12-2012 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

Quietest sun activity in years? How many of the 11 cycles have you actually measured since say year 1760 or lets go on back further to Sumarian times (just a short memory backwards; hop skip). Was it done with sorting kindling or stacking freshly wet smooth granite river stones into cairns singing Kumbayah?

I do not see any talk of the alignment of the sun to earth to gallaxy center and what this could possibly unleash; oh, of course modern man does not keep records going back that far either. Just one of those cyclical events that seems to continue to happen whether you like it or not (even if you have the marvelous technology to exactamondo it except you can't time travel). Apparently some faith exists at least for you that the Universe can be managed, programmed and told not to be naughty; as/dare you might do something to spank/thwart its rascally nature. When you hear the ripping sound of the dimensions parting it sounds like this "sproing bonk boink" and it is loud. The fun part is the pivotal outcome of a terrible unknown (with glee/mirth/smirk) and its damage or renewal; always done with a good nature.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

well, I guess science has no idea about the past huh.....not like they don't have conclusive evidence of past solar events in earth samples.....no...we need faith to decipher it all...Not like we haven't been observing sun spots for a VERY long time. No.

But it does work both ways, by your logic there is nothing special about now since we don't know what the norm is or what the cycles do....

but we do...

Homeric minimum 950BC -800BC
Oort minimum (see Medieval Warm Period) 1040 -1080
Medieval maximum (see Medieval Warm Period) 1100-1250
Wolf minimum 1280-1350
Spörer Minimum 1450-1550
Maunder Minimum 1645-1715
Dalton Minimum 1790-1820
en.wikipedia.org...

The solar cycle was discovered in 1843 by Samuel Heinrich Schwabe, who after 17 years of observations noticed a periodic variation in the average number of sunspots seen from year to year on the solar disk. Rudolf Wolf compiled and studied these and other observations, reconstructing the cycle back to 1745, eventually pushing these reconstructions to the earliest observations of sunspots by Galileo and contemporaries in the early seventeenth century. Starting with Wolf, solar astronomers have found it useful to define a standard sunspot number index, which continues to be used today.
en.wikipedia.org...

and here some graphs showing a decline in activity and expected prolonged decline. Sorry the sun isn't going to kill anyone or do anything to the earth.

all that taken from here:
www.solarham.net...

EXCELENT resource for all things about the sun. Real time data, multiple sources form institutes across the globe as well as new satellite data and alerts as they come. Just awsome.

When you hear the ripping sound of the dimensions parting it sounds like this "sproing bonk boink" and it is loud. The fun part is the pivotal outcome of a terrible unknown

Dafudge are you smoking bro?

EDIT: Here is an updated chart to the one I posted before showing the cycle 24 predicted sun spot activity....It shows a decline in activity.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

You ask if people are aware that the Sun is active. Well, this is a solar maximum. Happens every 11 years and this maximum is a less than average maximum.

I would imagine most humans process radiation heat and oh that obnoxious orb thing in the sky that hides sometimes behind vapor bodies (aware of? maybe every 11 years). Average versus minimum versus maximum solar versus some dead Roman Emperor- whos to say; you could be onto something really big.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It is a SOLAR MINIMUM, and a note worthy one for its prolonged stay!

It could last 80 years or more!

No crazy isht is going to erupt from the sun....!

wha?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

But it does work both ways, by your logic there is nothing special about now since we don't know what the norm is or what the cycles do....
but we do...

If we don't know what the norm is or what cycles do how do we exactly know it?

and here some graphs showing a decline in activity and expected prolonged decline. Sorry the sun isn't going to kill anyone or do anything to the earth.

Graphs are good graphs are complacent; 2 dimensional representations of ink line needle swings connected to a what? Hydromometer, nanosecond reader randomizer or an electron microscopy wristwatch. No one said (I think) the sun will kill you but it can make life on your earth very challenging particularly for those that worship "all living breathing graphs with arms and legs, and websites that are footnoted adnauseum.
edit on 4-12-2012 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2012 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Your argument appears to boil down to: "I don't know thus others don't."

That is what it seems to be. You don't know and you toss out some gibberish about counting with rocks and dimensions ripping ... whatever.

The fact is that the Sun has been studied for a long time - centuries. Sun spots have been known about for a long time. It turns out that the number of sunspots is a good indicator of solar activity. That we know. We also know about the magnetic fields in those spots. We know that the sun flips its field even though normally the magnetic orientation cannot be determined without going there. The field of Mercury required a probe to sense that field. That is not necessary with the Sun.

You might find out how this is done.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

If you don't know how to read the graphs then ask. People will tell you. If you don't know how to determine the norm or mean ask. It's really easy to ask.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Thankyou. I have said the same thing! It is quite arrogant to believe one way or another that we know something will or wont happen! I believe we are in the final age and that there is a great change upon us! I believe none of us knows when this age will begin, if it will cause a destruction, if it will cause a new age but I do know for sure that we can't continue to live the way we are! If any of you think this is bogus then I say that you are in denial!
There are so many people in this world that deny what they see with their own eyes! We see the federal government preparing for something big! Building underground bases, creating seed banks, storing ammunition, creating legislation for marshall law, spending monies like there's no tomorrow and other things we have no idea's on! Do they in fact know something we do not? Maybe it has nothing to do with 2012 and maybe it has to do with a cumulation of many factors! Things like solar activity, financial problems, global warming, resource depletion, overpopulation, food shortages, wars and other things we can't even begin to know of! None of these things can be denied but we should keep on living for today cause it makes no sense to worry about things we can do nothing about! You can even prepare for these events if you want to live in a cage for several months, to more then a year but I for one refuse to worry, prepare or to live in a hole! I will not go out like that. I would rather die on the surface unafraid, prepared for whatever death has to offer! We all have our choices to make and there is nothing wrong with prepping, especially if you have children with which you hope to help make it through this! Just remember there is more to life then survival! I know I could not handle living underground for more then just a few days! if you think you can, I suggest you will need more then just the basics! Goodluck to all of us when the great change is upon our doorstep! God bless the world as well!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nosacrificenofreedom

If any of you think this is bogus then I say that you are in denial!

I don't have to deny what does not exist. There is no reason to believe that there are new ages, or great changes happen unless you mean natural disasters.

We see the federal government preparing for something big!

You are dealing with apophenia. Governments have had underground bases. I recently visited one that was built in the 70s. It is now an historical site. Seed banks are common and have been so forever. Most are owned by companies who sell seeds. And the rest of your laundry list is also not unusual.

Take a deep breath and learn why these things are as they are instead of getting all worked up.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

reply to post by badnickname

This year is no more pivotal than any year before.
1. Scientific advancements have been increasing every year there is an adequate budget. Government spending cuts and limiting of grants over the last few years have had an impact on research.

This is as much speculation as is my first opinion on this. Also, you missed my point about ever increasing scientific advancements: they are cumulative, they multiply and precipitate more advancements. I was explaining McKennas thoughts on one of the possible singularities. There is nothing incorrect in what I stated earlier.

2. Every year there are new discoveries and inventions sure to change the world. Not all of them pan out as predicted.

I was sharing my opinion on the current technological advancementes, and that is that many of them are deal-breakers. You can disagree without asking wich ones exactly, thats fine, but irrelevant to my post.

3. The number of incidents has not been increasing. The worst years are over with the tensions of the Cold War gone. You may not be old enough to remember that.

You might not be aware that these tensions are not gone, they are back and they are excalating. Only this time its not just CCCP vs. USA, its the middle and the far east, africa and south america too that are involved.
I don't suppose you have seen Medvedevs first "state of the nation" address, where he threatened Eu/USA regarding Iskander missiles and "undisclosed further steps".. That was a while ago, and things have not cooled one bit, mostly because of the US ballistic shield, and economic and military rise of China and Russia.

4. The sun reaches a solar maximum every 11 years. Time to hope for some nice aurora.

Thank you for educating me about that, however, I knew this also.

5. The Earth's magnetic field does not protect again photons. UV is not deflected by magnetic fields.

Note taken. I sometimes lack words in english (not my native), and here I did too, and messed up the point. UV radiation is on the extreme levels this year, weather they have something to do with the magnetic field or not.

6. Magnetic reversals are not associated with disasters. No evidence that it affects life on Earth.

We havent witnessed a magnetic reversal yet, to know all its possible consequences.

7. Economies have been predicted to melt down for decades. Not happening. The frauds making this claim need their heads examined. Or is it those that continue to listen to failure after failure after failure after failure.

You are living in a dream world, but again thats just my opinion. Just like this was yours.

8. Magnetic reversals are anything but violent. Where did that come from?

Thank you for your expert opinion backed up by facts and conclusions.

9. Humans are not affected by the feeble magnetic field of the Earth. The field is a static field. People can be affected by strong oscillating fields that induce currents. Migraine treatments may involve such fields.

How arrogant of you to claim humans are not affected. You studied this also?
I have read plenty of stuff suggesting otherwise, and you have not provided anything but your opinion again, claiming it as fact. Not that I care to debate it here anymore.

So basically skeptics like me check the claims and see that nearly everything posted was incorrect. That's what skeptics do. They check before accepting.

Basically, skeptics like you reply in a list and then they feel smart. Like "heres proof". Skeptics annoy when they act like they know it all, but are understand a post in its entirety. I see you have done plenty of checking there. Not.

Note that I did not claim any one thing will surely happen, I claim they all have a posibility of happening and that possibility is on the rise leading up to this year. Note that my original posts were aimed at making the discussion more on topic, and informed about where the whole story came from. It's not my thread so I wont be discussing my opinions here further.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

*Your argument appears to boil down to: "I don't know thus others don't."*

No, it obliterates you that have no imperical knoweledge of "I cannot have the imagination to understand it"so you cannot either.

**That is what it seems to be. You don't know and you toss out some gibberish about counting with rocks and dimensions ripping ... whatever.

Ah no sense of humor as well, how sad this is no gibblings or aufol cooked by your great grandmother. This is scary scenarios that you for some reason deny exist because your bubble in the icecream world cannot melt.

**The fact is that the Sun has been studied for a long time - centuries. Sun spots have been known about for a long time. It turns out that the number of sunspots is a good indicator of solar activity. That we know. We also know about the magnetic fields in those spots. We know that the sun flips its field even though normally the magnetic orientation cannot be determined without going there. The field of Mercury required a probe to sense that field. That is not necessary with the Sun.

You are kidding me now, about all of the ancients and their cats and puppies? The sun flips its field while undenighably growing flipped up fields of grain upside down corn, wheat, soy consistantly.

**You might find out how this is done.

The gafe of Mercury is the fact it can't talk and tell us all about its history and needed an earthling probe to tell it its own history. Send a probe to the Sun I dare you it will melt into a perfect representation of the humanbeing and stick it into your mailbox radioactive (dont touch it).

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by badnickname

The point is that nothing in your list is extreme. Even recent saber rattling is nowhere near the threat it was during the Cold War. You even agree that these issues are well known. UV radiation is not extreme this year either.

We havent witnessed a magnetic reversal yet, to know all its possible consequences.

The evidence in the fossil record is quite clear - magnetic reversals do not cause disasters or affect life on Earth.

When I pointed out that quacks and nuts have been predicting economic meltdown for decades all you could say is nothing. That sums up your position doesn't it? You have these strange ideas that something is happening and no reason for your stance. You odd claim that magnetic reversals are violent is simply ridiculous. The fossil record states otherwise. I ask where you go that idea and you essentially refused to name the idiot that came up with that story.

How arrogant of you to claim humans are not affected. You studied this also?
I have read plenty of stuff suggesting otherwise, and you have not provided anything but your opinion again, claiming it as fact. Not that I care to debate it here anymore.

No amount of blustering on your part defends this phoney claim that humans are affected by magnetic fields. I pointed out situations in which it happens and you have no response.

So you made a list of fabrications and I called you on those falsehoods and you have nothing to support these stories. I am not surprised.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

The gafe of Mercury is the fact it can't talk and tell us all about its history and needed an earthling probe to tell it its own history. Send a probe to the Sun I dare you it will melt into a perfect representation of the humanbeing and stick it into your mailbox radioactive (dont touch it).

Sorry, that is not the issue at all. We don't need to leave the Earth to detect its magnetic field, but the same cannot be done with Mercury.

The rest of your post was more gibberish. Why?

The simple issue is that the information is available and if you don't know about it does not mean that others do not.
edit on 4-12-2012 by stereologist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

**Sorry, that is not the issue at all. We don't need to leave the Earth to detect its magnetic field, but the same cannot be done with Mercury.

Simple fact you have never been there and I would like to know how you personally talk to its magnetic field from earth with/without sizmagraphic magnetic gizmo hokypokery detective devices you have and parade.

**The rest of your post was more gibberish. Why?

Which part? Explain gibberish. That thing about English language; nouns, verbs, dangling participles,
adverbs, adjectives do you not understand or the way it works together to describe human thought.

**The simple issue is that the information is available and if you don't know about it does not mean that others do not

Why would you think I would enter such a discussion without knowing it backwards and forwards the problem is that the those that rely upon data graphs and some strange cult of the confab of ultra-minion factorians think they can logically tell the Universe to stop its shennanigans. I hope you all have a Who Ville Extra sized horn to speak into. I can Imagine your words (What about our sanctimonious revered Gafs/Graphs?) you are not paying any attention to us?!! Well, for those that wish to ridicule what I would call the Gnostic at least I know who I am and my tombstone will not say; "Where's the GRAPH".

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

The Sun's magnetic field is revealed by the Zeeman effect. This can be detected because the Sun emits light. Planets do not emit light and thus the existence of any field must be detected through other means. That must be done by sending a probe.
cat.middlebury.edu...

do you not understand

Please do not make stupid comments about me. It makes you look ridiculous.

The following is what I meant by gibberish. It's meaningless drivel.

ome strange cult of the confab of ultra-minion factorians

It seems fairly clear that you did not understand the graphs. If you have a question about what the graphs mean then please ask.

Your original statement was that the Sun was extra active at this time. That is false. The Sun is less active than normal for the current phase of its cycle.
edit on 4-12-2012 by stereologist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join