It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evangelist Lives As Gay Man For 1 Year In Hopes Of Changing His Mind.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

so this guy has a book?

lol, this was just a stunt to increase book sales, and cash in on the gay movement.

lot of money to be made off homosexuals, this guy was pretty smart.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Although this may open his eyes somewhat, he won't really have a true understanding of homosexuals just because he pretended to be one. There are many things they go through emotionally and psychologically because of their attractions that someone cannot imitate.

It's somewhat admirable that he set out to try to understand, but in another way, it is insulting to them that he would do this. Is he playing with anyone's emotions while doing this? Is he leading anyone along who may be in hopes of a relationship? If he is up front and honest with those who may show an interest in him, would that not defeat his purpose?

I'm happy he is seeking to understand but I'm not sure he's taking the best possible route in doing so.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
reply to post by ProfessorT

But to everyone on the outside he was gay and had gay sex with his gay boyfriend. We only found out afterwards that he didn't do that stuff.

Of course and I understand that but claiming to have acted in the persona of a gay person as oppose to truly being gay are two separate things. He has claimed that he acted as a gay man therefore that would suggest that he would have had intercourse or sexual activity with a person of the same sex. What I'm trying to say is that he could not have acted like a gay man if he did not have sex with another man. To me the gentleman has not truly acted as a gay man therefore how can he understand what it is like?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by templar knight
I am not in any way religious but anyone who goes out of their way to challenge their own inherent views deserves a big S&F.

What is an S&F?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I think this should open many peoples eyes.

Based on his views "before" his eyes were open, you can see the bigotry, and false myths that MANY still have.

I actually salute this.

S&F

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Finally a Christian that sets the example that their Lord and Savior set out before them!!

Gotta love those that pretend to be Christians and how they selectively forget the saying, "Judge not Lest Ye be Judged"!!

I applaud this example of how Christianity should be.......................

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

If a guy who was against you at one point, can turn his viewpoint around to this, I wonder what would happen if all extremists had a year in the life of those they hated.

Thoughts?

~Tenth

I don't think a year in the life of Condi Rice is going to make a Jihadist any less steadfast in their cause TTTP.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Isn't that the real Christianity?

It certainly sounds like something Jesus would do.

ALS

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Oh I understand now. I guess you're right about that, he did not commit 100%, so truly he didn't get to experience life as a gay person. But i think that would be asking to much in his situation lol

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I have several family and friends who are gay. I accept them for who they are. In some of the post, I agree with the fact he didn't actually live a "full" gay lifestyle experience. But I do applaud him for putting himself in that situation, not many would do that.

edit on 2-12-2012 by GideonFaith because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Exactly. Just picking up in the middle of someone's make believe life doesn't give them the conflicting experience of realizing that you're not "normal" or the true rejection experienced from childhood. These are the thing that shape a person, and make them who they are. Pretending to have those experiences, or forcing those experiences without the forethought, like (fakely) coming out to his family, doesn't give him the gut wrenching experience of putting it off and the anxiety at the consideration of doing it, etc.

I actually think it's kind of insulting to gay people's bravery and all that they've accomplished and fought for, and are still fighting for.

Here are 3 men who are not gay, but pretended to be.......

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I agree. He did get to experience how other people reacted to homosexuals, but he didn't have to deal wtih the emotions of actually being one.
Going through your life thinking you are in the wrong body or thinking that there is something wrong with you has to be difficult.
It will be nice when that is no longer the case and people can just be people.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Socrato

No I'm sorry.

You may choose to live in another reality but there's only 1 reality. There is only one plane of existence that we all operate on. So no. You don't get to say the sky is red because you want to. I should say you can, but people are going to tell you that you're wrong.

And they would not be wrong In saying that.

your opinions are your own and facts aren't reliant on our belief of them.

An error does not become truth by reason of.multiplied propagstion nor does.truth bevome error because nobody sees it.

-Tenth
edit on 12/2/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Tenth, I think it's just a matter of semantics, but each person does have their own perception of reality. However, this means that. If Socrates wants to believe all gays are evil, or sneaky, or whatever, he may choose to do so. It diminishes him to do so, but that is his choice, even though it may not be inherently true (obviously, well to you and I and most others, at least.)

You are right, however, in that people aren't entitled to their "own facts" - that's the nature of facts. The interpretation of said facts is up to the individual, but his point that, if you think all gays are HIV positive that makes it so, just plain isn't so.

Individuals have the right to interpret the world around them however they want, but their perceptions do not alter reality, juat their perceptions and interactions with reality.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Having read the article and the postings, a few things that can be stated:

What did this pastor do, beyond stop condemning people for being who they are. While some would say that he did not have the full experience cause he did not have gay sex, but is it enough to be a homosexual and not have sex? This Evangelical preacher, following the ways of what is standard, did something that non of the other fire and brimstone preachers have done, he took the step to see if people are as evil as they are stated to be, and found out, that homosexuals are just like everyone else, have the same problems, have to work, and pay their taxes, even having the same dreams and aspirations as everyone else, to live and be free, the only difference is that homosexuals are attracted to those who are of the same sex. And if his message of tolerance and maybe that perhaps treating a group as second class citizens is not acceptable, then just maybe there is hope and ultimately, a change in the mindset and attitudes of those who would think such.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I've always had the feeling that 99% of gay people were brainwashed somewhat, probably by their expectations from the media. I mean, if overpopulation is such a 'huge' issue, why not try try to influence people into homosexual lifestyles?

That being said, it is their life, so whatever.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

In fact, Kurek was so disgusted by his response to his friend that he decided to do something drastic. Living in Nashville, Tennessee, he would pretend to be gay for a year.

What does ''pretend to be gay'' mean? Does this mean he engaged in sexual acts with other men or does this mean he acted out his pre conceived notion of what it is to be gay?

''Gay'' culture is to homosexuality as organized religion is to god - a vague representation of the bottom line, the truth is not far away. Gay is the popular cultural offshoot of the reality that there are men that like men. There is not a single ''man liking man'' relationship that has interrupted, affected or impacted any of our lives, ever... What is this the 1500's?

]Can someone please locate and post a reference to the location in the Bible or Qu'ran or Torah where being a homosexual or ''gay'' is condemned?
Until this happens, this discussion is just conjecture.

People who condemn homosexuality are ignorant to basic human liberties; consenting adults can performs whatever sexual acts they want with other consenting adults, that is there business, and no one elses. People who have a problem with ''gay','' are uncertain of themselves, they're unsure of their own sexuality, they must also be unsure of many more things.

edit on 2-12-2012 by Kapablanka because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-12-2012 by Kapablanka because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join