Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

A mile-high skyscraper? Yes, says Ecuador

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
This is the crazy project that Gustavo Baroja, governor of Pichincha province in Ecuador, wants to build at the exact equator line.

- $200.000.000 estimated cost
- 1600m high (twice the size of the actual higher skyscraper - Burj Dubai)

I'm curious to see how the conceptors of this building will resolve the technical problems caused by its size, weight and its exposure to the wind...

QUITO—Not far from Ecuador’s capital, tourists flock to a line etched in the ground and straddle it so they’ve got one foot on either side of the equator.

A 30 meter (100 foot) obelisk marks the spot. Now, the provincial governor, thinking much bigger and grander, wants to build a mile-high (1.6 kilometers) skyscraper there.

Besides drawing more visitors to what would be the world’s tallest building, the structure would honor the Quitu-Cara, an indigenous culture credited with being the first to define the line marking the planet’s waistband, said deputy governor Marcela Costales.

Promotors say the building would cost $200 million to erect. Its main backer is Gustavo Baroja, governor of Pichincha province, which includes Quito.

Contacts have been established with potential investors in the United States and Europe, and a delegation from Qatar that’s interested in the tower has visited Ecuador, Costales said.

Read the whole paper here.

Seems like there's some controversy about its utility and the damages it could cause to the Nature:

Alberto Andino, president of the Pichincha Architectural Association, said the idea smacks of what he called Dubai-style runaway urban development at the expense of respect for nature.
edit on 2-12-2012 by elevenaugust because: spelling...
edit on 2-12-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Im more concerned the fact Ecuador is a earthquake area where they actually get quakes which are allready about 5-6 in magnitude, how they are going to make this skyscraper safe ?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
$200,000,000? Seriously? I hope they know this would cost at least $2,000,000,000 to build.

Can the very top be occupied?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Seems like more antenna then actual skyscraper lol

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Chicago was to have a mile high skyscraper, they then found out it wouldn't be practical. Wish I could supply a link but for those interested, it is easily found on google search.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Reply to post by Socrato

"Can the very top be occupied?"

I doubt it.

If its anything like the purposed chicago mile high skyscraper, the top floors would be used for elevator service

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Like Dolluka, the first thimg I thought of was earthquakes. Having lived in Colombia and observing the local construction techniques $200,000,000 may not be that far off. That being said, there is no way to build what appears to be an 875 m structure in an active siesmic region that is anywhere near safe for that amount. I imagine the pressurized elevator system mentioned in the article would not be cheap, even if it does not go the last 725 m "antenna" looking part.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Before we get excited, Ecuador can't afford such an investment. Right now the local government said they will look for private investors willing to join them in this project. Meanwhile they are already working on the design.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

How about they build infrastructure for their country and improve the living conditions of that hell hole instead....

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

How about they build infrastructure for their country and improve the living conditions of that hell hole instead....

They don't have the money, like I said in my previous post. So it's not like they can decide how to spend it.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

I'm guessing they figure tourism money brought in by people visiting the world's tallest structure might help to do just that, partly by giving their economy a tourism boost?

But yes the engineering challenges of making such a tall structure earthquake-resistant would be significant, as some have suggested.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Instead of using elevators alone, i wonder if it would be practical to use cable carts that stretch over the city?

fire safety, water, and sewage with be the main problems they'll have to tackle.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

So I take it you've never visited Ecuador? Since you list it as a "hell hole" I wonder what specific aspects of Dante's inferno you are referring to . I've found the living conditions in Ecuador for more reasonable thtn their neighbor Peru where abject poverty and children street beggars are a constant reminder or the country;s third world status. Ecuador is far better of culturally, financially and educationally than most in South America.

It it's statistics you've made your decision based on,your lack of judgement discernment and experience are at best ignorant of the actual conditions there.

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I really dont give tuppence for the idea......
WTF are they going to waste money on next?
maybe Equador is paradise on earth, but......i doubt theres no better way to spend the money...even if they wish to bring in international tourists.....
Its getting pretty depressing watching all that money get spent on the people who probably already have too damn much of it anyways....
A mile high building is total impracticality in ANY conditions, (cept maybe the MOON)
And 200,000,000 would do a hellova lot of good for some of the less fortunate in the country....
Why not invest in the potential of the country instead?
Though i am no expert, it asll seems ridiculous to start with......and id say the same for anywhere else they want to build such a stupid project...
Dubai was dumb enough....

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Socrato
$200,000,000? Seriously? I hope they know this would cost at least $2,000,000,000 to build.

Can the very top be occupied?

Don't worry...I am sure all the building metal, screws, bolts, plastics and other building materials will be made in China...so at least this will be decreasing costs.

Also, let's look at the dollar conversion here: coinmill.com...

$200,000,000 USD ===> 516,294,825.93 Peruvian Nuevo Sol (PEN)

ie. $1.00 USD = 2.58 PEN

What will it cost you to live in Peru...let's see what one traveler paid for one month for two items:

bicycletouringpro.com...

LODGING: 630 PEN – $227.48 USD
FOOD & DRINKS: 519.6 PEN – $187.62 USD

The point is labour and materials in Peru are CHEAP. In the US the cost of building including labour would be at least twice more expensive.

We'll see if this building does happen to be constructed. Btw, the "space needle" on this building is interesting? Do you think it has anything to do with contacting UFOs as they fly around the US?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
Im more concerned the fact Ecuador is a earthquake area where they actually get quakes which are allready about 5-6 in magnitude, how they are going to make this skyscraper safe ?

EXACTLY what I was thinking about when I read the thread title. How could they keep it standing in the event of one of those quakes?

I realize that there is some serious technology involved in these buildings, but a building is really only as sound as the ground it's built on.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well, I hope they know how to make it resistant to airplanes combined with demolition charges

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
you can climb to the very top of the burj, i expect this one would be the same, tho not open access to anyone of course.

I get vertigo after 10 floors, so climbing that beast would be a heeeeeeeeell no!

top topics

join