It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA Internet Blackout Unlikely, Experts Say -- Does Anyone Really Believe This?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Really? Just the idea someone felt the need to have such an article written tells me at the very least it is being considered.

Blackout Unlikely

Also, I personally find the word "Unlikely" a potentially blatant, outright lie, or a glaring attempt to allow for some plausible deniability if necessary after the fact.

ATS is leap years ahead of the rest of the world in analyzing and preparing for the worst but still holding out hope for the best. Does this set off alarms to anyone else, is it simply more of the same, never could have happened and is absolutely correct, a lie, deception, or do you have other thoughts about it?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by samstone11

Hang on there fellow mouse, help is on the way.
I doubt if the USA will ever be totally blacked out from the net but I am sure that areas may be disrupted at times in the future. Phone service towers are the most likely things to be shut down in times of any civil disruptions. We have a landline phone, not trusting to only have a cell phone.
edit on 1-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I find it highly unlikely that the government could not shutdown the internet. There are many out there within the government that would love to that very thing. Like this guy below.

And why would these people want to shut down the internet? Oh, I don't know - maybe because there is too much information that has been unearthed using this tool that they do not like the rest of us knowing and/or learning about?
edit on 1-12-2012 by Rubicant13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Maybe 12/21/12 will be the end of the internet as we know it. I have been doing a lot of studying on the net anticipating it going away. I don't think the population of the country will let it happen though, most people think it is a right of the people to have the net now. Most people use it for facebook and other social media. I can't in my right mind understand why all the banks, the government, and power companies are using the same system. Who in their right mind authorized the net to be utilized by these places.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by samstone11
Really? Just the idea someone felt the need to have such an article written tells me at the very least it is being considered.

Well, as I hope you have heard... Syria has recently blocked all internet in the country, so that is why they are commenting on this.
I find it highly unlikely that the US could achieve a blackout like Syria because you have to many private company's peering with other countries. Syria achieved its blackout because everything is centralized, they just had to take out a few key connections and the whole thing goes down. The US has the most peering points than any other country, so it would be extremely difficult to completely shut it down.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by samstone11

Probably wont ever happen

I'd like to see them try. No, really I would. Too many people are addicted already and for them to lose their regular interwebs fix and go cold turkey people would be in the streets over night.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Several years ago, my wife pointed something out to me that I had actively ignored or explained away my entire life. Seems that electronic things sometimes have a problem operating with me around. I can't wear most watch brands, computers blink out of existence when I look at them, cell phones have no chance at all, etc, etc. What I am saying is that I agree that it may not be the worst thing to not have the internet and all of the creature comforts we have all become so reliant on. For the longest time, whenever I would have a problem with something electronic it could irritate me or make me angry. Now, I have learned to take advantage of that time to learn whatever there might be for me to see about life without that specific "addiction" as it was called earlier.

Maybe the internet is here to stay, maybe not, but we do need to be ready regardless, am I correct?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
you forget this country isn't run by politicians.. it's run by the corporate world.. and that my friend is why there will always be an internet.. way too much money to be lost without one.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a global financial crisis was also highly unlikely, they said.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
The only people who don't believe this are those pesky folk that know how the internet works beyond facebook and twitter and forums and email.. and pron.

new topics

top topics

join