It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tracking Point - Guided rifle system allows precision shots to 1,200 yards

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There's something fundamentally wrong with making war and killing so easy and robotic.

IMHO there is something fundamentally wrong with making war and killing, period. The rest is simply irrelevant.

We took a major wrong turn somewhere and people's blind faith in science is leading the charge.

Sorry but once again I find your logic quite flawed. Science and technology evolved in any era. It used to be that in naval battles an enemy ship would need to be boarded to assure victory, or set on fire from a very close distance. Some time later, naval guns were developed. To contemporaries, they sure seemed "easy and robotic" compared to wielding a sword. Now, they seem quaint and heroic.

Hacking someone to death with a sword has never been and never thought od as quaint and heroic, not by any sane person.

Please don't take offense, none was intended, it is just that your first line and your last line seem miles apart from my perspective.

P

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
Hacking someone to death with a sword has never been and never thought od as quaint and heroic, not by any sane person.

Well look, the Pirates of the Caribbean and other such stuff (Treasure Island and all) wouldn't be a success as they were, if what you said was 100% true/

Please don't take offense, none was intended, it is just that your first line and your last line seem miles apart from my perspective.

Oh, I'm not taking any offense. It's the schizophrenic nature of humankind in general, and both you and I are part of it. "Thou shalt not kill" on one hand, and endless wars on the other.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
There goes the neighborhood.
Not a good sign.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by staple
So it is auto aim for the xbox generation. Cool. About time. Sorry if my hunting skills defeats your bow.

I know i'm a little late on this, so sorry guys for the late post
from pages back....

but to staple.. you need to look up the definition of skill...

if the xbox generation reefer's to this as a 'skill' we are in big trouble
as a civilization.

It saddens me to see post's like this.. the 'game' generation is really
falling behind in the real world.
there is so much i could say about this.. but whats the point....
sad i tell ya, just sad that this was referred to as a 'skill'

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Sorry for being late for the party (so to speak) but when I read the OP when it was first presented something struck me and its taken me until now to muster the courage to present what my first thought on this was. (Don't laugh, my question will show just how inept I am at this kind of thing so I beg for you all to take it easy on me, this is an attempt to learn something here)

What if this technology was developed further and combined with a drone? I have no concept if this is even possible or feasible but the idea that it could happen frankly scares me. By developed further I mean this:

1) A longer range so the drone in question would not have to be so low to the ground as to be an easier target itself for being shot down

2) Some kind of technology incorporated to allow it to follow it's target if the target moves after the shot it taken. Am I correct in thinking that currently this kind of weapon would only work on a stationary target?

Also, as an aside, for those that made comments such as "keep up with the times or get left behind", I agree to a point. However, while I feel it's important to keep up with the technologies that permiate our society on a great many levels today, I think to ignore the 'older harder ways' is dangerous.

When technology fails, on a small scale or large scale, we will have nothing to fall back on if we toss aside the knowledge/practice of those harder ways of doing things and forget how to operate without them. When/if this kind of technology becomes the 'norm' and should it fail for what ever reason we may see an entire generation lost as to what to do now and that goes for a great many areas where technology is 'making life easier', not just this topic. But, when/if technology fails us, it will be those who have kept alive the 'old hard ways' who will be happy to pass that knowledge on to those who scoffed at it to begin with

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

No need to convince people to go to war for a cause...

When was the last time U.S. troops were deployed for a good cause? I hear everything you're saying, Animals. I'm a patriot and a veteran. I think you're applying your good ideals to an unjust government buddy. It breaks your heart because your ideals are no longer in-line with your governments.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Notice how they didn't even bother Congress with the attack on Libya - they just did it.
I hear what you're saying and in that regard we might have to go back to WW2.
Really the only other justified wars we've ever fought were the revolution and the civil war.
Every single other war was for empire in some fashion.
Yes, it does break my heart even though I have a great fascination with all things military, especially weaponry.
War seems really cool unless you're directly affected by it.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Yes, but there will always be a new techological one step up in each area.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This is a topic from a while back however I was wanting to post about the progress Tracking Point is making and already noticed a thread about it....Search worked for me this time!!!

I have been an outdoor hunting guide for years and a avid long range shooter even longer. With many years of practice I have become proficient in shooting and have made a lot of shots that a "normal" shooter would never have made without time on the bench rest and TONS of practice...Shots over 1000 yards are NOT normal in every day hunting and I would say a majority of hunters I have had the pleasure of taking wouldn't even think of shoots over 300 yards. Long range shooting is a art and discipline and Tracking Point is wiping all that away..

With this system and it's improvements since this OP are amazing and SCARY all at the same time.. I had the honor of playing with this system out in TX this year and let me tell you....WHOA... Tracking Point has upped the game and their scope makes a 12 year old deadly accurate out to and over 1000 yards....15k a pop keeps most people out of the game but let me just say... AMAZING!!!

edit on 7-3-2017 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join