It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tracking Point - Guided rifle system allows precision shots to 1,200 yards

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This is a sad thing to have to report. While the result of high technology, this system allows anyone capable of pulling a trigger of making first-shot hits anytime. No skill, no training required. You mark the target and the laser system will automatically fire the shot when you bring the crosshairs across the target.
Not yet available but this will make anyone who has enough money able to achieve feats of shooting previously only possible by trained marksmen. No more distance, altitude or wind calculating. This gizmo does it all for you. The potential to change infantry and police tactics is enormous.
I find any gadgets of this nature annoying. Technology is replacing skills that once required years of dedication and training to acquire. Now you just push a button and voila! - instant gratification.

My vocation was altered in a similar way as the development of pneumatic tools replaced years of training with hammer and chisels in the art of hand engraving. The shaping of gravers was altered in a similar fashion allowing complete novices to create perfect tools without even having the learn the rudiments. What was once a skill learned by long hours of painful practice has been flooded by a wave of hobbyists both lowering the standards of work and the prices charged for it.
Regardless of what field of work you find yourself in the machines are replacing us, one skill at a time. Now anyone can make shots that were once the domain of the trained sniper.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Luddite much?

I mean, would you like people to use black gunpowder, or wait, let's use slings, because sure as hell a sling requires an enormous amount of skill to operate as a weapon. Let's do away with autopilots on airlines, destroy the telephone service (ponies carrying messages are so cute) and to hell with penicillin, let nature run its course.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This would turn any Gomer with a bad cause or self destructive streak into the next Charles Whitman. Err... This doesn't strike me as a good development given the wide variety of uses such end results can be put to.

I think there is a lot to be said for the respect and responsibility that generally comes by virtue of the time required in developing long range shooting skills. The fact it does take forever and a special personality to begin with ..is probably how it should be, IMO. Look what computer controlled artillery has done? You don't even need high school math to put an endless barrage onto a target with meters of precision. Great, in the right hands..I guess... but this could be stolen or acquired far beyond the intended audience is my thinking.

I mean this reads on other sites precisely like some video games I've played for auto-acquisition systems. Fantasy....or it ought to be. It's a scary thing, IMO. It really is.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The fact you are bemoaning only the lack of skill necessary to operate the weapon successfully causes me great concern. Why not bemoan the fact we as humans still find it necessary to kill each other?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

what's the point of technology progressing
at the expense of humanity degenerating?

while i share asktheanimals concerns
i'm sure human ingenuity can spoof this system
and maybe even make it backfire.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

lol i'm fine with this being brought out
if the right resonant frequency is applied the gunpowder or cordite or whatever wont combust/detonate.

leaving only a trembling pvt Pyle, with a useless weapon so much easier to "deal with"

edit on 1-12-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Makes me wonder if those who had the greatest swords available to man said the same thing when they came across a force using bows and arrows or bullets.......

Kinda shows how the struggle for power and domination has continued and the idea of being civilized humans is nothing more than a myth. With all of the gun control garbage being thrown around it just looks like more and better killing machines are being built for those who are in control.
edit on 1-12-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
So it is auto aim for the xbox generation. Cool. About time. Sorry if my hunting skills defeats your bow.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for my laser gun.

Anyway, this is the path humanity has chosen. We can long for the old hard ways of doing things, or embrace it and use it to let us move on to new challenges. This can be seen in any field or application where technology is advancing at a faster and faster pace.

It's the way of the world, never ending change. Ride the tide or find yourself lost and alone in the dark.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Bigger body counts - coming to a neighborhood near you...

Oh! For the days when Egypt was conquered by a more effective design of mace...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The real scary part of this that you need to consider that you can put a remote camera on it, a motor driven x-y axis turntable and set it up anywhere. A small tracked R/C vehicle and you can sit in America shooting anyone you want in any part on the world.

You could set up camouflaged weapon and turntable on any rooftop, use internet as your communication medium and shoot any world leader almost literally from a cave.

This is as frightening as the self directing bullet.

It is fine if you have it but what happens when the other guy has it. We could very quickly get back to whomever has the most manpower available, wins.

A game changer that levels the playing field.

P

edit on 1/12/2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Luddite lots.

It has personally affected me and my ability to earn a living.
I should just say "great" and throw away years of training?
I'm not against technology or science only the perpetual misapplication of it.
We aren't ethical enough as a species to allow the free proliferation of technology to those who can afford it.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
This would turn any Gomer with a bad cause or self destructive streak into the next Charles Whitman. Err... This doesn't strike me as a good development given the wide variety of uses such end results can be put to.

Bingo.
Don't worry though, only military and police departments will be allowed to have this.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
They are working on the Iphone App for as we speak.

Guard your house against intruders even when your not home with ease.

link   
Anyone want to bet that the electronic package is manufactured in China.

The Chinese are probably already manufacturing these in numbers the US can only dream about. Is that dream or nightmares?

Perhaps a new accessory for the AK47

P

link   
Wow.

Were? And how much?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by staple
So it is auto aim for the xbox generation. Cool. About time. Sorry if my hunting skills defeats your bow.

Skills?
What skills?
Hitting the big red start button on your X-box?
You played lots of Big Game Hunter and now are have mad hunting skillz?
I suppose you know all about tracking game, reading sign and scats, browsings and scrapes in addition to being able to stalk and use terrain and wind direction to your advantage. Maybe you know about where to set up stands or where to hit the vital organs too but I'm doubting it gauging from your statement.

Young people have no idea of what patience or discipline are any more.
It's sad what we were losing in terms of real experience and learning that being replaced by digital media and virtual reality.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
This can be seen in any field or application where technology is advancing at a faster and faster pace.

It's the way of the world, never ending change. Ride the tide or find yourself lost and alone in the dark.

You're right, but the problem is technologies changes far faster than our ability to create it or adapt to it.
We're all at risk of replacement.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
What sport is that to hunt with that gun. I can't see people bragging about getting their deer presently when they use scopes and bait them by their blind. I can see it now, "I never miss my buck" Why don't these people just go buy a cow from a farmer and walk ten feet from it and shoot it. The farmer can take care of getting it processed for them. I think the world is going technology crazy. How about a robot to wipe your butt.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Originally posted by watchitburn
This can be seen in any field or application where technology is advancing at a faster and faster pace.

You're right, but the problem is technologies changes far faster than our ability to create it or adapt to it.
We're all at risk of replacement.

I am not so sure we are at risk just yet.

Consider the time required for an unskilled person to aim, lock the target, aim again until the weapon fires. Now compare that to a fully trained military sniper. The fancy pants is dead. The highly trained sniper can acquire target and fire in a fraction of the time.

The skills are still a huge advantage.

The problem will occur when a great number of these are being used at decent range against standard troops. There will always be a need for the highly trained, it is just that the training changes as weapons and armor does.

P

edit on 1/12/2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join