It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Comparison Between Hip Hop Music And Blackface

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
See this
Blackface:

Blackface is a form of theatrical makeup used in minstrel shows, and later vaudeville, in which performers create a stereotyped caricature of a black person. The practice gained popularity during the 19th century and contributed to the proliferation of stereotypes such as the "happy-go-lucky darky on the plantation" or the "dandified coon".[1] In 1848, blackface minstrel shows were the national art of the time, translating formal art such as opera into popular terms for a general audience.[2] Early in the 20th century, blackface branched off from the minstrel show and became a form in its own right, until it ended in the United States with the U.S. Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

Also please watch this video

What are your thoughts on this?
Are rappers wearing jewels on their necks and gold in their teeth and demoting women the new Blackface?

Is it possible?
Of course it's possible

But has it been efficient?

Thoughts ATS?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Are rappers wearing jewels on their necks and gold in their teeth and demoting women the new Blackface?

I guess I'm failing to see the comparison. Black people showing off wealth vs. white people dressing up as black people in order to mock them seem a bit different to me.

But has it been efficient?

At what? Making black people look bad? Not to the legions of idiots that attempt to emulate the 'hip hop lifestyle'.

I've had a long day and may just have hit some weird mental block, would you mind elaborating a little more on your theory for me?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This video really shows how even rappers themselves are perceiving what is in the future, if things keep on the path they are on.

And I have to agree.

It's racist as hell, but seriously this is what the prominent rappers themselves think of what's happening in the hip hop industry.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

The people you speak of are not celebrities

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I didn't watch the video, I just assumed (I know the joke) that it was going to be typical slap a ho nonsense.

Now I getcha.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
any song that starts off "bitch bad, woman good" has got to be an instant classic.

the video trys to tackle at least 7 different issues in the first 15 seconds. at least he's not trying to be a "mogul" and put his "brand" out there.

american society is a joke, a giant parody of delusions worthy of being mocked. america is literally still in diapers.

if i were to age america, it would have be the equivalent of a mentally deranged spoiled 7 year old raised by a television set with no conscience, morals and a fully stocked arsenal of automatic weapons that it uses to kill other people for hysterical entertainment.

edit on 1-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

i would be careful assuming things, this guys music is the exact opposite of the slap a ho nonsense. he has skill and does not use it for evil.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Interesting point OP.

There was a thread not long ago discussing good vs garbage rap with some great points as well.

"R.etards A.ttempting P.oetry or
R.emarkable A.merican P.oetry?"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DENBY

With all due respect I fail to see what in T&C I violated.

An explanation would be appreciated.

Thankyou.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Maybe Biden was right, "they're gonna put y'all back in chains", because hip hop is influencing the world in a bad way and the only way to go is back.

The jewels and necklaces are modern day chains and the masters are the record executives.
Hip hop is depressing, because they never talk/sing/rap about anything positive, kinda like country music.
Oh and regarding the baggie pants,...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

mainstream hip-hop is not positive(with the exception of a select few) , but i assure you there are just as many if not more positive underground hip-hop artists out there fighting the good fight everyday. as for the baggy pants, i would think that having the waistline below ur a$$ would hinder movement and agility. i dont understand it. although i have been accused of wearing baggy pants by my elders, and yes they are lose fitting s so my legs have 100 percent mobility, but i wear them above my @$$ with a proper belt. speaking of pants, how can hipsters, goths, emos, and hicks wear those skinny jeans? that seems very uncomfortable and would also seem to hinder movement? i dont understand people. the only ones that should wear tight skinny jeans is women
for obvious reasons(if they so chose)

top topics

join