It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Your Internet Shut Down Every Day At The Same Time?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
For the past two or three months, my internet has been shutting down every day, three times a day at appx the same times. Within MINUTES same times.

AM: Generally between 11:30 and 11:45
PM: Between 13:45 and 14:00
And again between 01:35 and 01:45

Just now, when I did a search for a similar thread, it shut down on me.

I have spoken with my provider. There is absolutely nothing wrong on their end and everything is communicating just fine from my end to theirs. There are no issues at the house as far as cables. The modem is brand new and directly connected to the computer.

This isn't well written and may not be in the right place... but I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing this? Thanks for any input on this...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The exact same happens to me...

Do you have any ideas on what it may be? Because i have no idea.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Your computer may be the cause...there are programs that do maintenance at specific times...try to find your scheduled tasks and see if the time's coincide.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33
Your computer may be the cause...there are programs that do maintenance at specific times...try to find your scheduled tasks and see if the time's coincide.

In my situation, it affects not only the wired computer, but other WiFi ones also...

Strange.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The times don't coincide with the updates...so I don't think it would be that.

I've had problems with phone, car, all things electronic. Though, I haven't ever really gotten freaked out about the other things. But I never have been able to understand why I always have vehicle problems - no matter how new or old.

Computer is brand new as well.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by themightymissm

I used to have the same problem for a long time! I raised cain with my provider every week, they would run tests then send service guys out and they could never find a problem. Finally one day a bunch of us neighbors met up and found we were all having the same problem. We made a plan. We all called our provider every day, twice per day, for a week. They sent out a whole team of service guys to investigate. Turns out it was one little part up at the pole that was defective.

None of us has had any problems since then, but I think it's bull that we had to do that to get our service fixed!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

A typical DSL or Cable modem uses DHCP to obtain a new IP address from the host server and the default DHCP lease renewal period is often 1 day. So depending on when the lease is first obtained you could see an interruption is service at the same time every 24 hours.

Best regards,
Z

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DrZrD

But to do it at least three times daily?

Maybe I'm just getting weirded out over nothing...it just seems like it always happens when I'm in the middle of this site or watching "whistle blowing" videos. Like right now - it has shut off at least six times while I've been on this site. Reloading and going to respond but can't because I have to wait for it to re-load.
edit on 1-12-2012 by themightymissm because: Because I am technologically term declined....lol

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I've had the same issue throughout the months. Not constant, but more like every so often it will do it for a couple days in a row. I was informed to check for hacks or piggybackers on my network, I found none though. When researching I saw one of the most common reasons were when someone stole wifi. This can cause loss of connection to no internet at all.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Just to test... Set your computer clock ahead 2 hours and note the times you go down.
edit on 12/1/2012 by staple because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrZrD

A typical DSL or Cable modem uses DHCP to obtain a new IP address from the host server and the default DHCP lease renewal period is often 1 day. So depending on when the lease is first obtained you could see an interruption is service at the same time every 24 hours.

Best regards,
Z

That can be overidden in short shrift, like one hour.
In edit, should have said, there is no need for a lack of continuity.
edit on 1-12-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Check with your ISP. Most likely something needs to be replaced.

I really doubt anyone is out there fing with your connection for amusement.

You're very likely having connection strength issues. Your service is likely cutting out when there is a strain on the local system. You've got a weakened connection, therefor it isn't able to compete with other connections in the area.

edit on 1-12-2012 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

A DHCP lease renewal period can be set arbitrarily long or short but I suspect it is a combination of many factors, such as, line noise, server overload, TCP retransmissions, and DHCP renewal that is causing your problem.

But it could also be a zero-day Trojan or you could be using an old Java version; anything version lower than version 6 with update 37 has a known and major security flaw.

Best regards,
Z

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I will look into the things that have been listed here.

I appreciate all the assistance. It was really starting to freak me out a little

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Yes. It was happening to me at the same time every morning and evening a few months ago. What was discovered was that when the phone company hooked up phone and internet service for another house they had somehow spliced the wires together wrong at the main line and each time the new people logged online mine shut off. Easy fix.

Don't know if that's your problem, but it sounds similar

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
As a matter of fact, yes.. Mine goes down just after midnight every night for a short time and at times has held a pattern for a week or more around 02:00. All within the last 6 weeks or so. Both are momentary but long enough to get very distracting and impossible to miss. My VOIP line drops at the same time and it's happened across 2 routers, so it's up stream of my house anyway. Odd.... I wouldn't have thought to ask if it was happening elsewhere like that. I've figured my cable company was being their unreliable selves in a more clockwork way than normal.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I don't know what's going on, but I had some problems too. My pc is brand new so rule that one out. Wanna see a funny thing? (tin foil hat on), just took a pic of the internet access by the lower right.

Funny name must say, never know.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Mine works super duper thank god.

Maybe it is the area you live in the signal may be interpreted by something...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
everyday at 6 am....thats my broadband

mobile internet...everyday aout midnight

i just thought it was resetting!?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Mine just shut off on me right now while watching Netflix
My girlfriend said it has been doing this all week.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join