It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say Goodbye to God and Religion in just 33 Minutes

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by jiggerj

Maybe believing in something that is unsubstantiated teaches us to hope for the future? Or are you unwilling to do that?

Am I unwilling to place my faith in the unknowable, unprovable, and unsubstantiated? Umm, yeah.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Ah! Then in your mind, there IS no future. How does that feel?

I don't know why I continue to do this. I think I'm a masochist, continually subjecting myself to a website that denies ignorance yet spawns it like a cesspool of superstitious dogma. If there is one place you are GUARANTEED to find ignorance, it is here. Pretty ironic, actually.

Ugh. Sorry for the rant. It's just that I'm surrounded by people who have been alive less than a hundred years but think they have answers that no scientist in over 300 years has been able to answer for a certainty. I would love to know how these people know everything, because I would take what it was that convinced them and smash it into a hundred pieces.

We don't know anything. It's that simple. We're a teenage species, so NATURALLY we're sure of everything, and yet look at us. We KNOW there's a god, we KNOW there's NOT a god, we know EVERYTHING and yet we're treating this planet like crap.

You know, we're not an intelligent species. We're just clever enough to dodge death and blow each other up like monkeys with sticks of dynamite. So let's stop with the ego games, shall we? Let's spend less time acting like we know what we're doing and more time trying to figure it out. Maybe, by the time the next century rolls around (assuming we're not dead) we'll actually know.

Until then, we're still in school. Let's act like it.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
How does understanding how things work contradict the idea of a creator? Could someone explain that to me?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake1234
Thanks for caring to share your views.

God is not religious and all scientist are not scientific.

That is all that needs said...

∞LOVE
mayallsoulsbefree∞

So true. If they where scientific truthseekers then they would research spirituality with an opened mind by asking people what they really have experianced since observation seem to sometimes change the experiment as the slit experiment have proven. You might even be able to quantify spiritual growth. But then some of these people will not allow that anything exist that they have not experianced and will follow the atheist religion like a faith and discard all data that do not fit their views.

Discarding everything spiritual will only create more duality between the different views and create anamosity and that is in a way funny since spiritual growth is mostly about seeing thru duality.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

It is Christians who create division with their spiritual views. Either you believe in "God" or you do not. Either you know Jesus or you do not. Either you worship or you do not. And then you find every possible way to convince us that we really do believe in your "God" - and if you are denied, then you declare that we are condemned, and that we will all see one day when your "God" comes to judge us and cast us into hell! Right after telling us how much he loves us!

Oh, what a sad little story.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

Maybe believing in something that is unsubstantiated teaches us to hope for the future? Or are you unwilling to do that?

Am I unwilling to place my faith in the unknowable, unprovable, and unsubstantiated? Umm, yeah.

Faith is not needed and can in fact be in the way when seeking god/higher self. Put your ideas to the test. Listen to 1 hour of chakra meditative sounds before you go to sleep for 2 months and see if you can notice any difference in your body and increased happiness?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

It is Christians who create division with their spiritual views. Either you believe in "God" or you do not. Either you know Jesus or you do not. Either you worship or you do not. And then you find every possible way to convince us that we really do believe in your "God" - and if you are denied, then you declare that we are condemned, and that we will all see one day when your "God" comes to judge us and cast us into hell! Right after telling us how much he loves us!

Oh, what a sad little story.

Some Christians do but from my point of view those who do it does not understand Jesus at all.

So you mean Richard Dawkins with his denial of all religion/supernatural is right.
. Lol he has no clue at all, since he has not experianced any of it. He is like a person who is telling a pilot that the pilot cannot fly the plane since the airplanes do not exist in his view of the world.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by jiggerj

I believe that all life is tied together and this tie I call god. This makes god a communication or energy of some sort. There is too much structure for there not to be something other than what people say science says. I read a lot of scientific articles. I do not see many articles that go against the grain of religion. I see most scientists believe in a higher power also although the higher power is not always the same god. I see Atheists using science to discredit god when that information was not created to discredit peoples belief. Using evidence for the wrong purpose is what man seems to do best nowadays.

Wouldn't it be nice to know what the trees know or the animals and fish know? Is this communication proven not to exist? No it has not been proven. Yes they have tried to tell us we lost the abilities of the animals to sense things. Another lie, we have been conditioned to ignore this communication and to only believe in certain people. This is not something I blindly do, I do not automatically believe in someone just because they have credentials or are supposed to be experts. I have more brains than that, I am no fool.

I see no problem with believing in god. It isn't god who starts wars, it is man who starts wars so his perception of things can be forced on others. I can't identify the USA with Christianity because most of what goes on in this country would be frowned on by Jesus. I do believe in Jesus, he was the Messiah. He said on the cross, "Why has though forsaken me" to god, so how can he be god. The spirit left him on that cross. It was a spirit that shared his body I suppose. That is what I conclude of this anyway, I suppose this will bring on the wrath of some people.

His bodies nerve senses probably got temporarily overloaded or something else biological so he could not feel "crown chakra cap" and got scared that he was abandoned.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Ah! Then in your mind, there IS no future. How does that feel?

I don't know why I continue to do this. I think I'm a masochist, continually subjecting myself to a website that denies ignorance yet spawns it like a cesspool of superstitious dogma. If there is one place you are GUARANTEED to find ignorance, it is here. Pretty ironic, actually.

Ugh. Sorry for the rant. It's just that I'm surrounded by people who have been alive less than a hundred years but think they have answers that no scientist in over 300 years has been able to answer for a certainty. I would love to know how these people know everything, because I would take what it was that convinced them and smash it into a hundred pieces.

We don't know anything. It's that simple. We're a teenage species, so NATURALLY we're sure of everything, and yet look at us. We KNOW there's a god, we KNOW there's NOT a god, we know EVERYTHING and yet we're treating this planet like crap.

You know, we're not an intelligent species. We're just clever enough to dodge death and blow each other up like monkeys with sticks of dynamite. So let's stop with the ego games, shall we? Let's spend less time acting like we know what we're doing and more time trying to figure it out. Maybe, by the time the next century rolls around (assuming we're not dead) we'll actually know.

Until then, we're still in school. Let's act like it.

Hmmmm. I agree with everything you wrote here. Why aren't you seeing how everything here relates to people like you?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hillarie
How does understanding how things work contradict the idea of a creator? Could someone explain that to me?

THAT is a great question!!!! Understanding how things work does not contradict the idea of a creator, and neither does it offer ANY evidence of a creator. Great point!

Religious say that since we haven't figured out how life started, this is evidence of a god. NOooo, it's evidence that we haven't figured it out yet. The very first living cell is not evidence of the supernatural or intelligent aliens. It IS, however, evidence that we need to study it further. That's it.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

BS, how did he prove?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angle
reply to post by jiggerj

BS, how did he prove?

Sorry, Angle. With your signature statement it is quite obvious that this cannot be explained to you.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

jiggerj wrote: " In this 33 minute clip he proves that the belief in a god and religion is a detriment to increasing our knowledge."

Hmm....the number 33...."increasing our knowledge"..."god a detriment"...

Very clever, indeed, Master Craftsman, but I think I'll stand by Jesus.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aesir26
reply to post by jiggerj

jiggerj wrote: " In this 33 minute clip he proves that the belief in a god and religion is a detriment to increasing our knowledge."

Hmm....the number 33...."increasing our knowledge"..."god a detriment"...

Very clever, indeed, Master Craftsman, but I think I'll stand by Jesus.

See, this is why religion actually scares me. SOOOO many of the religious here won't even offer counter arguments on a topic. They just want to wallow in their beliefs without honing them to further enhance what they claim to believe in.

If you really believe that Jesus was god, that there really is a heaven and a hell, and a devil to tempt you, then wouldn't you want to make DAMN sure you've got it right? I mean, you are playing with the idea that you could very well end up in eternal damnation

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I don't understand how people can think that God, if there is a GOD, can only be revealed through religion's doctrine and their Bible book.

Wouldn't God, if it is the creator, leave it's signature virtually all over creation. Where the religious need a Bible, the scientist's "Word of God" lies within the creation. I know many a professional scientist who gets a rush out of pursuing the "truth" within the creation itself.

It seems more reasonable to me to explore the nature of God by studying the nature of the creation than in studying Biblical second or third hand leftovers of retold ancient lore.

It seems religion is more focused on making sure that everyone calls God by the same name, and that everyone attributes the same qualities to the right deities. It's like they don't have faith that their God can reveal itself appropriately for every individual, in their own way as to their own understanding and in their own time.

edit on 3-12-2012 by windword because: OCD Spelling

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

So you mean Richard Dawkins with his denial of all religion/supernatural is right. . Lol he has no clue at all, since he has not experianced any of it. He is like a person who is telling a pilot that the pilot cannot fly the plane since the airplanes do not exist in his view of the world.

I find it amusing that when I oppose an idea, I stand for the complete opposite. I make it a point to linger in the middle, because extremes are never completely correct. I balance on the edge of the coin, instead of clinging to one side or the other.

There is nothing supernatural, only subjectively extranatural occurrences. Woods that we have not explored yet, bridges which gleam in the distance but remain beyond the tread of our feet for the moment. Mountain peaks we have not yet scaled, dreams we have not yet grasped. Entire worlds we have only heard of, but not glimpsed because we have not yet reached their shores. That's all. If it seems supernatural, that's only because we still have a lot to learn about this world.

Everyone seems to forget that.

edit on 3-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

What he was illustrating, in his talking points, was the erroneous religious belief that God created the universe especially for humans, and that humans are the highest pinnacle of his creation, through intelligent design.

Religious folks DON'T believe that the universe was made for humans.

I think what he's trying to say here is that the universe is quite the hostile place as a playground for humanity. Maybe there are places this superior creation of God's shouldn't go, even though we are the apple of his eye.

Religious folks also DON'T believe the universe is a playground for humanity... or even that humans are the apple of His eye. I don't know where you are getting that from.

I personally believe that space is hostile , yet so breathtakingly beautiful when seen from our telescopes. I guess its the Creators way of saying "look how tiny and insignificant you are!" or "know your place!"

Only in the mind of scientist is there room for criticism for the "intelligent" design and maintenance of the human body?

His complaint that humans are badly designed because we need nutrition to function is like complaining a Lamborghini is badly designed because we need to keep fueling it every now and then.... or that an I-phone is badly designed because we need to keep charging it. Yet, people chase after cars and gadgets that they find visually appealing.

I wonder what car / phone Dr.Neil uses and also if he complains its all bad design because he has to fill/charge it every now and then.

See a doctor to fix a faulty design?
Human are virtually the only animal that can choke to death on water. My mother died choking on a pill, true story.

"Faulty design" is a matter of perception.
Just because some people accidentally choke on stuff doesn't mean the human respiratory system itself is faulty. The trick is to be careful.

Humans, like other animals also cant stand extreme temperatures. Is it "faulty design" if one doesn't survive accidentally falling into an furnace? I mean why not? There are these creatures that live in deep-sea hydrothermal vents that seem to be able to stand extreme temperatures.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

You didn't comment on the best of his arguments against intelligent design! Why did a loving God put an entertainment center and a sewage system between our legs, sharing the same pathways?

Actually thats an old joke I read in Readers Digest a long time ago. It went something like this:

An artist, an architect and a city planner were arguing over who the Creator really was.
The artist says the Creator had to be an artist because of his reasons.
The architect says the Creator had to be an architect because of his reasons.
The city planner says the Creator had to be a city planner because he placed the sewage system right through the entertainment center.

To get technical, we only feel "entertained" because of our nervous system.

Anyway, millions of people everyday enjoy the benefits of their entertainment system WITHOUT complaining about the "sewage" system operating nearby. I mean, its been going on for as long as humans existed.

Furthermore, the location of the "entertainment centre" between the legs is an example of amazing design. It allows for mounting leaving the limbs free to fondle and touch think of all the amazing positions a couple can try out.... and when its not being used for entertainment, it functions as a disposal for liquid waste, (and in females also aids in childbirth.) Imagine, one place between our legs...so many functions, and one function doesn't interfere with the other.

Dr.Neil needs a lesson in design and functionality. Its a fundamental principle used by designers and architects. I work as a designer myself and Dr.Neils rant reminded me of uninformed clients telling me what good design is and isn't.

So, let me ask you. How would YOU re-design the human body, with regard to all this and convince people used to the "old fashioned" design that yours is a better design?

edit on 3-12-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

So you mean Richard Dawkins with his denial of all religion/supernatural is right. . Lol he has no clue at all, since he has not experianced any of it. He is like a person who is telling a pilot that the pilot cannot fly the plane since the airplanes do not exist in his view of the world.

I find it amusing that when I oppose an idea, I stand for the complete opposite. I make it a point to linger in the middle, because extremes are never completely correct. I balance on the edge of the coin, instead of clinging to one side or the other.

There is nothing supernatural, only subjectively extranatural occurrences. Woods that we have not explored yet, bridges which gleam in the distance but remain beyond the tread of our feet for the moment. Mountain peaks we have not yet scaled, dreams we have not yet grasped. Entire worlds we have only heard of, but not glimpsed because we have not yet reached their shores. That's all. If it seems supernatural, that's only because we still have a lot to learn about this world.

Everyone seems to forget that.

edit on 3-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Yeep everything is a new normal we have not experianced before. The middle way of an argument
. Me I am wasting time playing around with extremes/dualities for laughts.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleByLittle
Me I am wasting time playing around with extremes/dualities for laughts.

It's fun isn't it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join