It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say Goodbye to God and Religion in just 33 Minutes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I've always liked Neil deGrasse Tyson, but I never expected something so profound to come out of him. In this 33 minute clip he proves that the belief in a god and religion is a detriment to increasing our knowledge. He points out that when the greatest minds came up against something overwhelming even for them, only THEN did they attribute the mysteries of their chosen fields to a god, and they STOPPED trying to understand more. Why try when the answer is god, right? This has happened again and again throughout history.

I am not challenging the religious to watch this. I'm just asking that if they can spend years trying to dissect the bible, burn their brain cells trying to understand god, then what is 33 lousy minutes to them?

Please, just watch. Okay? I promise you won't regret it.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I watched an hour long vid of this guy and came to the conclusion he's NWO.

I'm not religious so have no reason to dissagree on those grounds, but divide and concour is the agenda, and that includes breaking up religions.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

In lieu of watching the video, I read the argument on Google. What I saw there was an attempt to use the failure of scientists to understand the exact quantifications of their findings, and thereby relying on divine influence, to undermine and discredit the wonder found therein.

Just because it's science, doesn't mean it cannot be sacred. That's what it's all about - respect for science and how it connects the physical and nonphysical, material and spiritual. In my humble opinion, both scientists and preachers are jumping the gun in insisting the two cannot be reconciled. How long as modern science been around? How often do we discover new connections between the mind and the physical world? How often do we find underlying principles whose properties demand a revision of how we view the atomic world in connection with our consciousness?

More evidence, all the time. That's why science is sacred. It helps us discover who we are, even when we think we already know.

edit on 1-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I watched an hour long vid of this guy and came to the conclusion he's NWO.

I'm not religious so have no reason to dissagree on those grounds, but divide and concour is the agenda, and that includes breaking up religions.

I know I'm going to regret this but... why is he "nwo"? (if one can be "nwo" anyway...)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I think you've got it backwards. The existence of religion causes a multitude of different ideas. Ergo division. Destroying the possible different combinations of belief of essentially the same idea(god) is something that would increase unity.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The last 10 mins were quite interesting, but there's NO WAY this will sway any religious person's beliefs.
You'd be better off posting an piece of Richard Dawkins seminars or the Zeitgeist movie.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Thanks for caring to share your views.

God is not religious and all scientist are not scientific.

That is all that needs said...

∞LOVE
mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
"Goodbye to God and Religion" That only took a second. What do I do in the next thirty two minutes fifty nine seconds
Oh I get it...Say "Goodbye to God and Religion in just 33 Minutes"......all right, sorry about being confused.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
"Goodbye to God and Religion" That only took a second. What do I do in the next thirty two minutes fifty nine seconds
Oh I get it...Say "Goodbye to God and Religion in just 33 Minutes"......all right, sorry about being confused.

lol You jest, but when I say I don't believe in a god, I want to back that belief up with as much logic as possible. Seeing as I'm human, I admit that there have been experiences where I've said, "Whoa, this sure seemed supernatural to me." Like when I just happened to find a $20 on the ground when I had absolutely nothing to eat. Or, when I blew every dime I had on gambling, but my very last dollar won all my money back.

Without having any knowledge of the world I wouldn't have been able to think on why a god would drop me a $20 when there are millions of people starving to death every day (answer: a god wouldn't do that), or why a god would steal the money I lost to someone else and give it back to me. Gods don't steal and they don't play favorites. Well, not any god that I would care too worship if I so desired. But, without knowledge it is easy for us humans to fall victim to such ignorant beliefs. Knowledge is power, it keeps demons from hiding under our beds and gods from using us as puppets.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

when I say I don't believe in a god, I want to back that belief up with as much logic as possible. Seeing as I'm human, I admit that there have been experiences where I've said, "Whoa, this sure seemed supernatural to me." Like when I just happened to find a $20 on the ground when I had absolutely nothing to eat. Or, when I blew every dime I had on gambling, but my very last dollar won all my money back.

Without having any knowledge of the world I wouldn't have been able to think on why a god would drop me a $20 when there are millions of people starving to death every day (answer: a god wouldn't do that), or why a god would steal the money I lost to someone else and give it back to me. Gods don't steal and they don't play favorites. Well, not any god that I would care too worship if I so desired. But, without knowledge it is easy for us humans to fall victim to such ignorant beliefs. Knowledge is power, it keeps demons from hiding under our beds and gods from using us as puppets.

I understand what you're saying here but it could seem that you've decided your stance and then looking for logical explanations to support your viewpoint.Isn't that the wrong way round,shouldn't the viewpoint be the conclusion you reach after considering it with reason and logic.That sound's uncannily like a believers habit of going finding biblical mutterings to make their faith stand

Actually,I'm just playing devil's advocate as I've always thought along similar lines to what you're getting at here.It's my belief that our ancestors,with the imagination and mental capacity to equal our own wanted to understand and thereby control their world.

To the hunter gatherers who left those cave paintings in France or Spain 20,000 years ago or those first farmers of 10,000 year ago the idea that the sun was a god was something that they could understand.Imagine trying to tell them it was a massive ball of plasma,a seething mass where hydrogen is fused to make helium whose light and radiation bathed the earth providing the energy for everything that grows and lives on Earth and that we orbit it along with a handful of other planets held in place by the sun's incredible mass and gravitational pull.

He'd no doubt shake his head,give you a sad rather sympathetic look that people reserve for the undeniably slow witted,thinking you're in cloud cuckoo land and happily carry on believing whichever sun god he worships rides a fiery,golden chariot through the sky everyday as it makes infinitely more sense to him.lol

Obviously these rather simplistic ideas he had to explain what was beyond his understanding with the knowledge he had available to him (remember the only difference between us is we have 10,000 generations of giant shoulders to stand on !!!) slowly evolved from a basic understanding to a very complex belief system.After many generations these beliefs became undisputed facts which morphed through Ankhanaten and his sun god Amon through the Greek Pantheon with Zeus and his cronies to the Abrahamic monotheistic religions of today.

Or at least that's my interpretation of it but it does follow your basic idea that without knowledge people will invent,evoke powerful gods to explain what they can't begin to understand.

Of course my own beliefs may not actually chime with what I've just said because when I say I'm 99.99% convinced there's no god I base that less on the results of reason and logic and much more on my gut feeling,on the way I've always felt on the matter even as a wee kid.The irony being that probably makes my argument no more valid than a believer citing his faith.lol !!!

In truth the older I get the less I worry about justification or backing up my 'beliefs'.These days it doesn't even concern me whether I'm right or wrong,whether there's a god or not because I don't need one and never did.

In the end though I wholly agree with what you're saying about the danger of not seeking the truth or even interpreting evidence you do find to fit with your beliefs if you think god is at the root of everything !!!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I believe that all life is tied together and this tie I call god. This makes god a communication or energy of some sort. There is too much structure for there not to be something other than what people say science says. I read a lot of scientific articles. I do not see many articles that go against the grain of religion. I see most scientists believe in a higher power also although the higher power is not always the same god. I see Atheists using science to discredit god when that information was not created to discredit peoples belief. Using evidence for the wrong purpose is what man seems to do best nowadays.

Wouldn't it be nice to know what the trees know or the animals and fish know? Is this communication proven not to exist? No it has not been proven. Yes they have tried to tell us we lost the abilities of the animals to sense things. Another lie, we have been conditioned to ignore this communication and to only believe in certain people. This is not something I blindly do, I do not automatically believe in someone just because they have credentials or are supposed to be experts. I have more brains than that, I am no fool.

I see no problem with believing in god. It isn't god who starts wars, it is man who starts wars so his perception of things can be forced on others. I can't identify the USA with Christianity because most of what goes on in this country would be frowned on by Jesus. I do believe in Jesus, he was the Messiah. He said on the cross, "Why has though forsaken me" to god, so how can he be god. The spirit left him on that cross. It was a spirit that shared his body I suppose. That is what I conclude of this anyway, I suppose this will bring on the wrath of some people.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by jiggerj

That is what I conclude of this anyway, I suppose this will bring on the wrath of some people.

If your post brings out any animosity it will be because you don't adhere to the widely accepted definition of god. That definition being of a thinking entity with supernatural powers.

Do I believe we are all connected in some way. Sure, our DNA proves it. Did a god create the very first living cell? All I can say is I can't disprove it, even though I know that everything exists because a state of absolute nothing could never have existed. So, if the material to create this universe was always here, then there was no need of a god to create it.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Wouldn't it be nice to know what the trees know or the animals and fish know? Is this communication proven not to exist? No it has not been proven.

You are right. I think it's been proven TO exist. Animals have a language. And I find it hard to believe that they only communicate that a predator is out and about, or that food can be found at a particular location. They have to hold conversations of some kind. We can see this when young animals play together. Without communication that they are having harmless fun with one another, then those playful actions would be read as aggressive and they'd kill one another.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
His arguments are flawed on so many levels. One doesn't need unexplained phenomenon to postulate the existence of God. God is pretty good about showing himself to many people and through big events throughout history.

In the present age a good proxy for this is the restoration of Israel in 1948. That event fulfilled dozens of Biblical prophecies to the letter describing Israel's dispersion and restoral and that it would happen twice. Even better the Bible says that Israel would never again be destroyed. Well the world has tried and will keep trying to do so. Each time Israel was 'miraculously' saved.

We also have the testimony of the prophets and answered prayers and myriads of other internally consistent proofs that the God of the Bible is real. Science really doesn't do any better with how they accept a physical theory. Namely that they have some, often tenuous, experiment that appears to be consistent with a given theory. The only difference is that the theories of science appear to never be quite right and require constant and sometimes radical changes. The Bible and God, however remain unchanged.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

God is pretty good about showing himself to many people and through big events throughout history....

Or .. people explaining things that they don;t understand to be "god"... remember when thunder was god's anger?

Plus.. when you put Abrahamic faith on the pedestal and base all the history on that you lost all credential from me on this subject....

I can tolerate when someone talk about "god" in general aspect, but they choose the "my god is greater" attitude, they instantly lose all credential.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I watched the entire video.
While Neille DeGrasse Tyson comes across as very charismatic and a good speaker....some of his points were simply absurd. The first 25 or so minutes had me interested and then he just....lost it towards the end.

Here are a few highlights.

1. At around 29:00 minutes, he states "most places in the universe will kill life instantly".

This is the kind of silliness we hear from sign wielding doomsday prophets. Of course, most places in the universe would kill life instantly. No sane human would think otherwise. Its strange coming from an astrophysicist, of all people.

2. At around 31 minutes, he goes on to talk about the shortcomings of the human body.
He gives the example of how humans need to keep eating constantly. Yes. A healthy looking, obviously well fed man complaining about having to, of all things, eat constantly.
Of course, its a shortcoming..... only in the mind of Neil deGrasse Tyson.

3. It just keeps getting better. At around 32 minutes he says "imagine if you had a separate hole for breathing, eating and talking.. that would just be really cool". He claims its not a "hard request " because other mammals like dolphins eat and breathe through different holes.

I got a hearty laugh out of this one. It reminded me of my 5 year old self, when I thought it would be cool if we had wings like birds.

He then goes on to imply that humans risk choking to death because we eat, breathe and drink through the same hole. I'm sorry Neil, most humans get by everyday eating, drinking, breathing and talking through the same hole. If you experience difficulty in doing so, you need to see a doctor.

In conclusion, if this is what passes off as being "profound" these days... then there is a problem. On a more personal note, I'm also confused as to how rants like this are supposed to get one to say "goodbye to God and religion", as the thread title seems to promise.

edit on 2-12-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Are you spiritual, at least? Do you believe in some kind of ether? Or is this all that there is?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by jiggerj

Are you spiritual, at least? Do you believe in some kind of ether? Or is this all that there is?

When you ask if I'm spiritual I take it to mean, am I in awe of something. Yes! I am in awe of this infinite universe, kittens, baby-blue skies on a brisk autumn day. My heart warms to the bright eyes of a children being told they're going to Disney World. I feel immense pain when I read of how life keeps kicking the same people down over and over and over. I feel rage when governments send their common folk to kill the common folk of other countries.
I am scared to death that nothing good awaits humanity in the future.

There are too many REAL things to enjoy and to be concerned about in this realm to be concerning ourselves with other states of being; states of being that can't ever be proven, and that offers no benefits whatsoever to this existence. We are here and now. To waste even one second on the unknowable is to miss out on this one very short life we have. I realize that this is just my opinion, but to actually believe in that which cannot ever be substantiated only makes us look like a bunch of fools.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Maybe believing in something that is unsubstantiated teaches us to hope for the future? Or are you unwilling to do that?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by jiggerj

I watched the entire video.
While Neille DeGrasse Tyson comes across as very charismatic and a good speaker....some of his points were simply absurd. The first 25 or so minutes had me interested and then he just....lost it towards the end.

I see that you summed up some of DeGrasse's talking points, but you failed to include his thesis, his main point, the reason for his talk. What he was illustrating, in his talking points, was the erroneous religious belief that God created the universe especially for humans, and that humans are the highest pinnacle of his creation, through intelligent design.

Here are a few highlights.

1. At around 29:00 minutes, he states "most places in the universe will kill life instantly".

This is the kind of silliness we hear from sign wielding doomsday prophets. Of course, most places in the universe would kill life instantly. No sane human would think otherwise. Its strange coming from an astrophysicist, of all people.

I think what he's trying to say here is that the universe is quite the hostile place as a playground for humanity. Maybe there are places this superior creation of God's shouldn't go, even though we are the apple of his eye.

2. At around 31 minutes, he goes on to talk about the shortcomings of the human body.
He gives the example of how humans need to keep eating constantly. Yes. A healthy looking, obviously well fed man complaining about having to, of all things, eat constantly.
Of course, its a shortcoming..... only in the mind of Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Only in the mind of scientist is there room for criticism for the "intelligent" design and maintenance of the human body?

3. It just keeps getting better. At around 32 minutes he says "imagine if you had a separate hole for breathing, eating and talking.. that would just be really cool". He claims its not a "hard request " because other mammals like dolphins eat and breathe through different holes.

I got a hearty laugh out of this one. It reminded me of my 5 year old self, when I thought it would be cool if we had wings like birds.

He then goes on to imply that humans risk choking to death because we eat, breathe and drink through the same hole. I'm sorry Neil, most humans get by everyday eating, drinking, breathing and talking through the same hole. If you experience difficulty in doing so, you need to see a doctor.

See a doctor to fix a faulty design?

Human are virtually the only animal that can choke to death on water. My mother died choking on a pill, true story.

In conclusion, if this is what passes off as being "profound" these days... then there is a problem. On a more personal note, I'm also confused as to how rants like this are supposed to get one to say "goodbye to God and religion", as the thread title seems to promise.

You didn't comment on the best of his arguments against intelligent design! Why did a loving God put an entertainment center and a sewage system between our legs, sharing the same pathways?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join