It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Extrano"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Extrano, the openly gay superhero magician who fights AIDS vampires called hemo-goblins.

Extrano, a Gay Superhero Magician, from the late 80s, popped up while I was searching for something else online, I had no idea he existed. This is creepy IMO. It reminds me of all those comics they made to pander to kids while trying to bring about "awareness" like the Spiderman issues warning kids to stay away from drugs, etc.

Outwardly resembling nearly every stereotype of a gay man, Extraño initially wore loose colorful garments and has a lively, jovial attitude. He refers to himself as "Auntie" and usually imparts parent-like advice to his teammates. In reality, he may be the very first openly gay superhero, a distinction usually given to Marvel Comics' Northstar who, while coming out a few years after Extraño was introduced, was a much more popular character who existed for ten years prior and was implied to be gay in those appearances.

Usually playing the role of comic relief, his flamboyant behavior was regarded as everything from funny to hateful by readers. He had an earnest sense of justice and love of life that made him popular with his teammates. During The New Guardians' short run, Extraño acquired a powerful crystal skull (which seemed to greatly amplify his abilities) and a more traditional, "masculine" superhero costume, perhaps as a reaction to the comments of readers.

In The New Guardians, Extraño helped his team defeat a number of supervillains while trying his best to assist them with personal problems. On one mission in particular, he was attacked by an "AIDS vampire" called the Hemo-Goblin.

Anyone remember this?

en.wikipedia.org...ño
edit on 1-12-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

a Gay Superhero Magician, from the late 80s, popped up while I was searching for something else online,

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku

a Gay Superhero Magician, from the late 80s, popped up while I was searching for something else online,

Hahahahaha.

Ok, wait, that sounds wrong. I was looking to translate spanish sayings. Not looking for gay superheroes. Not that there is anything wrong with gay superheroes.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

lolz of coarse you were. and you right there's nothing wrong with gay super hero's.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

This one though definitely looks like such a forced job to have a gay superhero, I can picture a bunch of writers sitting around being directed by old guys in suits going, "Guys, gay people keep making it on the news, we need some of those in our comics...."

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

listverse.com...i'm sure you'll like this list.
it almost make's your guy look cool.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

new topics

top topics

join