It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I am an atheist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Why am I an atheist,

I am an atheist simply because I prefer rational thought rather than to persist in delusion.

I myself cannot say that there is no God, because I cannot disprove the existence of something which shows no proof of it's own existence. I am not going to waste my life on something which the existence of is not proven. I rather look at the Universe with an open mind, and accept everything that it has to teach us, than to make an illusion just so I can think that I know the truth and the answer to all.

The time I really became an atheist was when I started reading and educating myself about various subjects of science and astronomy, once I saw the mysterious and complexity of the universe I started to question if the bible is really true. After more research I made a conclusion.

Something or some entity who created this mysterious and complex Universe should even be more complex than the Universe itself, which clearly the God of the Abrahamic religions not is. For example, how the God of the old testament says in Deuteronomy 21 : 18-21 said that you should stone your child to death when he is too stubborn. Really, how could the all knowing, all loving, define creator of everything, care about such stupid things. There are many more examples, they are not hard to find.

This is just a short example of why I don't believe in a God. Thank you for reading.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

Just a thought..............If God did not exist, then neither would Atheists!!! Just another example of how society and having to have a "label" just for the sake of showing how group A is different than group B, C, and D......... is ridiculous in itself......

Why? Are we all not part of the only label that matters? "THE HUMAN RACE"!!!!! Let's do away with the separatism created to make us all different and all abide by the label that should matter the most..................

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

Being an atheist is fine...one does not have to believe in God...we do exist somehow...what is your explanation for your existence? Are you a positive or negative atheist?

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[4][5][6][7] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[8][9] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[9][10]

en.wikipedia.org...

Philosophers such as Antony Flew[43] and Michael Martin[38] have contrasted positive (strong/hard) atheism with negative (weak/soft) atheism. Positive atheism is the explicit affirmation that gods do not exist. Negative atheism includes all other forms of non-theism. According to this categorization, anyone who is not a theist is either a negative or a positive atheist. The terms weak and strong are relatively recent, while the terms negative and positive atheism are of older origin, having been used (in slightly different ways) in the philosophical literature[43] and in Catholic apologetics.[44] Under this demarcation of atheism, most agnostics qualify as negative atheists.

I do not need a religion to believe a Higher power exist, I do not consider myself atheist though. I still accept that we came from a SOURCE of power greater than ourselves.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

Look, I just stay heavily sceptical until new evidence changes my beliefs otherwise. Now, don't get me wrong. I agree there are some very weird things out there that we don't have explanations for yet, but I think we'll understand them better as time goes on.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

I am an atheist simply because I prefer rational thought rather than to persist in delusion.

Here, you have made a judgment call. You have essentially stated that you value your own opinion over others, and that you have more than enough training to label all manner of spirituality delusional. There's a difference between respectfully disagreement, and refusal to consider.

I have no respect for this.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

Look, I just stay heavily sceptical until new evidence changes my beliefs otherwise. Now, don't get me wrong. I agree there are some very weird things out there that we don't have explanations for yet, but I think we'll understand them better as time goes on.

Thank you! I appreciate a person who has the testicular fortitude to admit they are uncertain or ignorant in matters. It takes far more strength to admit weakness than to proclaim power. I salute you. And I will confess that I myself do not know for a fact the answer to this question either. Perhaps there is a god, perhaps there is not. It has no bearing on how I will live my life.

I choose to love, laugh, and live. If the existence of a god changes that for you, then what is the point of being you?

However...

Look, I just stay heavily sceptical until new evidence changes my beliefs otherwise.

There seems to be a discrepancy here. In one statement, you have made a judgment call that implies conviction in your own certainty. In the other, you have admitted uncertainty in the matter and proclaim to exercise a degree of reservation in the matter.

So which one is the truth? This is interesting - you explain your position as though it influences the rest of us, and then you begin to change your story. That does not prove that you have the intellectual character to make a steady and informed decision. It is your opinion, but it is increasingly clear that "opinion" is all this is.
edit on 1-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
So your agnostic then that just means you believe in some kind of creator force but do not believe it can be or better has yet been defined. Atheist just believe there is nothing life is a cosmic fluke, and when you die it's just lights out.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
For the sake of clarification...an atheist actively believes that God does not exist.

dictionary.com
atheist - a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

thefreedictionary.com
atheist - someone who denies the existence of god

merriam-webster.com
ATHEIST: one who believes that there is no deity

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Why is that atheists want to look for someone to be their journey-mate ?

You people want to be atheist , the first lesson is to be brave. Stand firm and travel alone.

Why do you want to take someone with you?

Because somebody is asking you ?

Because you are afraid to be alone in the dark ?

Just wait to see the darkness after death, I tell you.

Or are you begging for our attention and kindness ?

Your creator is the real kind being you can refer to.

Just ask yourself what you have done that you are here , turning against your creator and your god.

Did you think that you could find another way or another person ?

And please don't send any reply because I am not worth it.
edit on 1-12-2012 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I do not label all manner of spirituality delusional, not at all. I think in the future we will more and more learn about these kind of things and what they are. What I ment with ''to persist in delusion'' is to go against facts and proof just so it can fit your believes and thinking, like typical fundamentalist christians whom I met who think that the story of adam and eve is a fact.
I should've pointed that out first, I'm sorry

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

hmm God is completely rational. a true belief in God comes just through wisdom.

I rather look at the Universe with an open mind, and accept everything that it has to teach us, than to make an illusion just so I can think that I know the truth and the answer to all.

well complicated Universe, that is an evidence ! and humanity is weak and it does not know everything does it !

The time I really became an atheist was when I started reading and educating myself about various subjects of science and astronomy, once I saw the mysterious and complexity of the universe I started to question if the bible is really true. After more research I made a conclusion.

God is rational. and Bible is just Bible. it is translation. and there are many corrupted clerics and many of them among chiristians to alter the truth. God is rational but Bible is written by humanity throughout history study the history of Bible if you want the truth !

which clearly the God of the Abrahamic religions not is. For example, how the God of the old testament says in Deuteronomy 21 : 18-21 said that you should stone your child to death when he is too stubborn. Really, how could the all knowing, all loving, define creator of everything, care about such stupid things. There are many more examples, they are not hard to find.

I am sure you did not study the Abrahamic religions. you are criticizing Bible but God is rational and independent of Bible.

Something or some entity who created this mysterious and complex Universe should even be more complex than the Universe itself

exactly that thing or entity you are speaking about is the only God. so you wisdom is working well.
I do not consider you an atheist not at all. you believe in God already

edit on 2-12-2012 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by maes2

I do not consider you an atheist not at all. you believe in God already

He doesn't discount all spirituality, only Christianity. And due to Christianity he views the rest with a healthy degree of skepticism.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You have said that you have read and studied and came to the concusion by reading a verse out of the bible that God does not exist. Could you explain to me how everything came from nothing and out of chaos into order by demonstrating this fact today? Simply throw a bottle of ink onto a canvas and have it all by chance turn into as it lands onto the canvas a perfect picture of the Mona Lisa. Think you could handle this? Or explain to me where does consciousness comes from how it came about. When you can explain produce the Mona Lisa by chance painting then we can talk about your belief from one verse that there is no God.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

Hmm, let's take a deeper look at your religion. Should I post a list of logical fallacies? Break it down for you, nice and slowly, so you can see exactly how impossible it is for an omniscient omnipotent being to think when the entirety of this universe would exist at exactly the same moment within his mind? That's how omniscience works in conjunction with a thousand years passing in a second.

Or maybe the fact that your "God" designed hell knowing exactly who would go there, yet did not change a single detail in our history to avoid the destruction and calamities? He is the creator of everything that exists. Therefore, he owns the copyright to Satan, to the seven deadly sins, to murder, to rape, to deception, to every pain and sorrow that has ever existed and ever will exist. You want someone to blame? Blame "God". He made all of this a necessity. Every single thing that has ever caused you discomfort was designed, created, and distributed by him, knowing exactly what would happen to you and everyone else.

Yes, let's all blame Satan. Let's all gang up on the poor guy and forget that we're worshiping the scientist who created the monster! Satan is only behaving according to his nature, and he gets hated on every day while the guy who spawned him is doted on worldwide. And you wonder why he's a bad guy?

Let's try this out for size - if you don't want people to decide they don't like you, then DON'T GIVE THEM FREE WILL. Of course, free will is an illusion. If your creator knows everything and can do anything, yet chooses to give you a flawed character and set a crapload of obstacles and temptations in your way, promising to save you if you pledge eternal loyalty to him, EVEN THOUGH ITS HIS FAULT, that's obviously an equal choice, right? Either serve the guy who cursed you, or get cursed again.

See, it's a horrible plot. A rotten deal. A hell of a bad story. And you know what? I laugh at it. I laugh at it and every person who believes in it, because if they're stupid to fall for one of the cheapest tricks in the history of mankind, then they DESERVE what comes next. Me, I choose my own fate.

I choose to keep my soul, AND follow a far more enlightening path of metaphysical study, one that doesn't put science smack-dab at odds with the spirit. How does that grab ya?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Still can't explain how order came out of chaos. Can you?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

Still can't explain how order came out of chaos. Can you?

Not precisely, but I know where to start. Watch this video - it supports everything I've been saying. Not that you were paying much attention, but we can work on that, right?

Introducing...Sherlock Holmes, playing with flies.

If you don't get it, then you're not paying attention. But again, we'll work on that.

edit on 5-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

That's not Atheism sorry.

You must have a FIRM belief in the fact there is no god, to be an atheist. More specifically, a belief that there is NOTHING after death. A lack of the spiritual.

As you clearly don't believe that, you are an Agnostic.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You must have a FIRM belief in the fact there is no god, to be an atheist. More specifically, a belief that there is NOTHING after death. A lack of the spiritual.

Won't argue with that. However, I'd like to point out the use of the word 'belief' in this sentence. Technically speaking, that inarguably classifies it as a religion.

Oh, boy.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Atheism is a religion, the religion of non belief.

At least that's the way I see it.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Atheism is a religion, the religion of non belief.

At least that's the way I see it.

That's cool. But when I see something that is red, I don't call it "nonblue". It's an existence, just in another direction of the spectrum. And so with belief, it's just belief that is directed elsewhere. Belief in and of itself is not indicative of anything except a firm opinion. So it can't be nonbelief because belief is not the property of religion.

You see what I'm saying?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join