It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Startup Problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Hi there as anyone encountered start up problems with either their Laptop or Desktop PC?. My laptop is just getting as far as the Windows Start up, and that's it, it goes no further.
Either it's a Virus (which i think is unlikely) because i've got Norton, or it's the Operating system.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Tony

PS I'm typing this in on my other laptop which as old as the hills

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Could be lots of things, but I'd bet your hard drive took a dump. It's usually the first thing to go. Sound like what my laptop was doing when the hard drive went out.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Restore your windows. If you can I think it's F10 where you can do a repair windows before your windows screen. Also try reinstalling windows.
edit on 1-12-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Just in case you haven't tried it, try and boot it up to safe mode to see if it will let you in. Alot of malicious software while are destructive in normal situations actually are hindered just by doing that allowing you to clean it. Personal opinion here....dump norton when this issue is resolved.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Thank you for your insight all of you, i will take all of your options under advisement.

Tony

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferryman

Try to do a system restore.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
There is a battery on the motherboard that hold your BISO? Sometimes when dead or lost its charge it causes problems also! For 3.50 if never replaced the battery, might save you some time!
Next its safe mode, if things won't work like your CD player then again you lost your boot system ran by the battery! Many people ran out to buy a new system because on the battery or not enough mem not knowing this!!
Next did you add something new? Put it back and see if it work like before, now you know it was your add on! Or pluged it in wrong. Just some ideas to concider and hope it helps!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Hi Ferryman,

- keep tapping F8 while windows starts up,
- then from the list you get choose "repair your computer"
- in the next window choose your keyboard options, click next.
- in the next window put in your user and password for the administrator account, then click OK.
- Then from the next list that pops up choose "Startup Repair"

Windows will than attempt to repair the startup sequence. If that does not fix the problem then post back and we will see what else we can to identify and fix the problem.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Hi Phoenix it's done all that and still no joy. It says it cant repair. I;m taking it into the shop.
Thanks for your help.

Thank you every body

edit on 2-12-2012 by Ferryman because: Added text

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferryman

Ok , hope it doesnt cost you to much to get fixed. Come back and let us know what the problem was after they have fixed it.

new topics

top topics

join