It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirit photo of UFO on Mars??

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Old age creeps in insidiously.....

i mis dislexiaed the curiosity/spirit names so sorry guy.....
But what explains the faint contrail?
You dont think the object and contrail related?

If it the contrail-like thingy is exhaust from the purported rocket/shuttle, then it is at an odd angle. Somebody else said that it is likely one or more pixel glitches, which seems most reasonable, and the "contrail is then likely some kind of processing artifact related to it. How often are pictures taken? If it is a real object, shouldn't it show up on successive images?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Looks like a jet at first but after a little head scratching, I'm begining to think the "contrail" looking vapor could be actually a projectile of some sort being fired at a ground target. What people are thinking is the tail section to me looks more like a flash upon release of said projectile. The "contrail" looks darker on the side closest to the ground.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I think its swamp gas....

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Looks like a compression artifact.

Is it even a UFO? Yeah, it's unidentified, but can it be decisively stated that it is indeed a flying object when it could easily be a compression artifact and therefore not an object at all? To state it is a UFO you need to at least be able to show that it is indeed a UFO (i.e. an actual object).

I haven't seen an ounce of critical thought in this thread, just a bunch of nodding heads.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Interesting artifact or perhaps a celestial object out of focus as others have mentioned. It appears like it has an arced contrail behind it. Also appears similar to the sts ufos that have the tails. Best UFO in awhile even if just some dust on the lens or post processing garbage.

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Just like NASA...

Go all the way to Mars...And forget the color camera.

Somehow these photo's are always poor quality.

Come on folks and put on your thinking cap. Seems every thread the same silly questions.

Time and bandwidth. Your mission has a limited time and you want to send as much workable data before your robot dies along with all its instruments including cameras. Obviously there are going to be different cameras for different purpose including different resolutions and color depth. As anyone who's ever worked on a computer with pictures or a digital camera knows the bigger the files the more time it takes to work with them including uploads and downloads. Again the higher the resolution or more colors the more memory space it takes and the longer it takes to download. So, you are going to download x amount of data from the beginning to end of the mission no matter what, deciding the best bang for the buck is your mission.

So kids, if you're going to critique the engineers who designed these robots try to at least think logically instead of ..
edit on 12/3/12 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I had a play with this image(Filters,Digital Noise removal,Contrastetc etc.) and deduce it isn't a Rocket or Rocket Shaped.... It appears to be a object in the darker end of the colour scale being a black and white image... So thats black,dark blue etc etc... It is a flat cigar shaped or disk shaped craft which with the apparent contrail is flying towards and to the right of the Spirit Rover... This leads me to think that there are better pictures of this object the public aren't meant to see...

Quick add dust or lens artifact would create more pixelation than the object in the image.... And the background behind the object or if you wish to think lens artifact would be warped somewhat (A bending of the image around the artifact)
Lets call it a Halo effect.

edit on 3-12-2012 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
OHHHHHH NOEZZZZ they are chem trailing on Mars!! Sorry I have no professional opinion just keeping tabs on the thread

My non professional opinion
- meteor
- genuine UFO
- its a pic taken from earth and it's a jet

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker
OHHHHHH NOEZZZZ they are chem trailing on Mars!! Sorry I have no professional opinion just keeping tabs on the thread

- meteor
- genuine UFO

I can assure you
it ITS a genuine UFO for now

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider

- meteor
- genuine UFO

I can assure you

Well, it's a "UO" (unidentified object) for now. Whether or not it is flying or instead an object on the lens or something to do with the camera is still the question.

edit on 12/3/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

- meteor
- genuine UFO

I can assure you

Well, it's a "UO" (unidentified object) for now. Whether or not it is flying or instead an object on the lens or something to do with the camera is still the question.

edit on 12/3/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

Sure lets call it a UO, but i never heard that expression before in the ET community
But your right, how can we know if its flying or something stationary on the lens or perhaps a very tall tree

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
A spacecraft or rocket? Come on, really guys. Its nothing more than a image artifact, probably from all the dust around there. If it was it should be more detailed and they would have announced it. There have been lots of pictures from mars that are debunked and turns out to be a problem with the camera. Sometimes the people on on this site fall for anything, so gullible.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
To all the people claiming this is something special ie: a jet..."lol"..... UFO, whatever.....could you please explain why you think it could not be a simple imaging artefact?

Because some people MUST see a conspiracy in everything.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Nice find, it will be interesting to see what (if anything) comes of this. Definitely not a bug, lens flare or artifact this time!

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziplock9000

Originally posted by Argyll
To all the people claiming this is something special ie: a jet..."lol"..... UFO, whatever.....could you please explain why you think it could not be a simple imaging artefact?

Because some people MUST see a conspiracy in everything.

Yes. And some people concoct dust or image artifacts every time they see something that they don't want to admit is a real alien craft.

So who's the more credulous here? You have no more evidence supporting YOUR interpretation than alien enthusists have for theirs. YOUR view is just as ad hoc as theirs, admit it.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

This doesn't look like Mars to me.

That looks like sea in the background and that's probably a plane flying over it!

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers

This doesn't look like Mars to me.

That looks like sea in the background and that's probably a plane flying over it!

NO

Here is the direct link to the NASA image as given in the article OP linked to
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Reminds me of the X-15

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well guysthe series of three....before the photo and after the photo show its indeed a real object and NO LENSE ARTFACT!
At least THAT seems put to rest.......
Phage whered ya go?
The chances its an earth picture also shot down by NASA itself.....(unless they really have Spirit in the desert somehwere...another conspircy theory with pros and cons)
I fail to understand why people continue to deny these proofs and post opinions to the contrary.....
Were supposed to be whittling DOWN the possibilities......Thanks for the help all.....i didnt create this pic....it came in my email....
I think its a teamwork project and the team is ATS s forte......
Wondering if jRitzman(sic) is still here on ats...?
Can the "ocean" be perhaps lightened and sharpened etc to show its really not water?(by the way supposed to be more water on Mars than there is on earth.....Dr RA Miller in another thread)
Or is it too blurred?
Didnt mean to cause a poopstorm, but id sure like to get to the bottom of this image somehow......
Any more ideas?
I am still unconveinced its a "glitch" of somekind. on the film etc......

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi
Yes. And some people concoct dust or image artifacts every time they see something that they don't want to admit is a real alien craft.

So who's the more credulous here? You have no more evidence supporting YOUR interpretation than alien enthusists have for theirs. YOUR view is just as ad hoc as theirs, admit it.

There is definitive scientific proof (not just evidence) that lens flares, debris artifacts and compression artifacts can and do occur. It has nothing to do with credulity but which is the most logical and likely explanation. There is absolutely zero evidence that this is anything alien other than what it 'looks like'. It always amazes me that some people can take a guess at something and within seconds start believing it is a fact. We are entitled to our own opinion however we are not entitled to our own facts.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Not much to add other than we have a NASA announcement in 20 mins (12pm EST) about that amazing/not amazing Curiosity discovery (or not a discovery, who knows. We'll find out soon). Anyways, compelling pic from Spirit. S&F, nice find.
edit on 3-12-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join