It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirit photo of UFO on Mars??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeterGriffin
reply to post by stirling

So all the money that went into "Curiosity" and it's sending back black and white photos?

First of all, this is from Spirit, and not Curiosity.

Secondly, the way the cameras on Spirit worked was by taking multiple images of each scene through a series of filters, with each filter creating different intensities of gray-scale for different colors. Those multiple images -- in RAW image form -- were in gray-scale, but after they were transmitted back to Earth, computers put those multiple gray-scale images (as seen through the various filters) together to create a color image.

And before you ask "why don't they do it the same way my Canon or Nikon camera does it" -- the answer is that they DO (basically)....

Even your color digital camera's light sensor is really "color blind" -- it can only "see" in different shades and intensities of gray. Each time you take a picture, the image is run through a "Bayer" filter which creates multiple versions of the same image, but seen through the different colors of the 'Bayer" filter. The computer in your camera than takes these different versions of the image, and puts then together into a color image the you see. This all takes about a second.

NASA Imaging scientists felt that they could actually get more information from Spirit's and Opportunity's images if they get the raw versions seen through the various filters, and combining them here on Earth, rather than letting the spacecraft combine the images into a color image. I think they felt some information could be lost that way.

For Curiosity's main camera, a Bayer-type filter is included, so the color images are created on board the rover prior to transmitting back to earth. I'm not sure exactly why the on-board Bayer filter was used this time. maybe it was because too many people cried "why are the pictures black and white!".

edit on 12/2/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Just like NASA...

Go all the way to Mars...And forget the color camera.

Somehow these photo's are always poor quality.

Deep sigh. The cameras on the rovers have multiple filters each one tuned to a specific frequency of light. The data taken by the camera produces a number between 0 and n (somebody will inform you what n is but I can't be ars.d looking it up, probably 32k or 2Gig) the number represents the amount of light at that frequency.

By combining the data from three filters which are tuned to red, green and blue parts of the spectrum they can create a colour photo. However, that colour photo needs three sets of data to be transmitted.

The "colour" camera in your phone works EXACTLY THE SAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with a slight difference in that the "pixels" for different colour are adjacent to each other. This means the true resolution of the sensor is reduced in order to give you a colour photo in a single shot. In essence your camera takes three black and white photos in parallel each tuned to a different frequency and combines them into a photo image file to give you a colour photo.

NASA have decided to maximise resolution in exchange for colour convenience of a single shot......silly NASA

What I will give you is this : The addition of an auto white balanced sensor as used in a street camera would be useful for publicity photos. It would certainly curtail all the speculation about cover-ups........or maybe that's why they don't .........who knows

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
That is a really good find, how can NASA explain that?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Firstly i must appologize for some of the Curiosity/Spirit confusion...as is mistitled the thread orionally me own self
This is a human trait i guess, as more have done the same mind swap on it since, even after i changed the title to read correctly....
Again guys n gals .....so solly please

As to the colur issue, well the fact remains that we the pblic get no grey scale option either...just nasa gets to play....and photo computer jokey ats whizzes...(not me much), and thanks again for all the photo work too.....

Being as we have some interest generated.....is anyone aware of how we may find the approx size, or distance from camera etc with the mathematical parameters we do have...how high maybe the object might be ?
If we could get its speed somehow by the shutter speed and length of contrail?
(if you agree it is a contrail)
I have a zilcho math skill set...(except for change for a dollar) but always thought these easy meat for the better trained minds....or at least something tasty......if chewy...
What say the figure -outers?? any chance of a guesstimate of an educated nature?
any fighter pilots see this yet?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
First, this is my first ever post here. I've been reading all sorts of discussions here and really enjoying it all, so far.
Looking at this photo, I can see that yeah, it does look like some sort of craft, maybe. Maybe a scratch or dust or a reflection- I'm not qualified to say. But something that I can't get over is that the "contrail" does not follow the track of the object. I read earlier that the track of the contrail didn't matter because the craft turned or changed direction- I also had that thought while studying the photo. But what I can't get over is that is a mighty big logical leap (at least for me) to say well that's the contrail and that's the craft and it obviously changed direction in flight. Maybe it really did change direction. I just can't reconcile it in my mind.

P.S. I would really like for it to be some sort of alien craft finally caught on tape or something. But I want the real deal. No speculation or debate over what it is or isn't.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
What the heck... somebody mentioned it looks like an ocean... I though "ok I will recolour the photo"

Indeed, normally I am not into the mars conspiracy stuff, but this looks really if it has been taken on earth and it is just a normal jet in the air.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

the first thing i thought when i saw pic at story site was, omg is that ocean? all it needs is some color and it looks just like an ocean, was just about to do what you did and saw post before i did it,

very odd how that looks . right? heh

also think it looks like a jet, with no color enhance or even touching up. i imediately thought, hrm looks like a fighter jet, now combined with the colored in ocean, i wouldnt doubt this things in india or something hell all 3 rovers could be sitting just over the pond lol.

the only thing that makes me think its a smudge though is the smear to the left, i doubt a contrail would make an arc like that, wouldnt it be more straight? who knows in a weird atmosphere though
edit on 2-12-2012 by ~widowmaker~ because: ferrets

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

if it is a jet, and sure does look like one, then i believe the pictures being taken on earth is far more likely than it being a craft on mars. and now you've pointed it out it does look like ocean even when i look at the black and white image.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well, I pulled up the Raw images It's definitely not a scratch, or damage to the lens.

Image before " UFO" and, The " UFO " Raw image finally, The next photo afterwards

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
reply to post by aLLeKs

if it is a jet, and sure does look like one, then i believe the pictures being taken on earth is far more likely than it being a craft on mars. and now you've pointed it out it does look like ocean even when i look at the black and white image.

I will Prophecy that in 30 or so years time there will be people debunking that we ever went to Mars in the first place and that it was all done here on Earth. Someone will find a sheet somewhere in one of the pics or a parculiar shadow which will be 100% proof that it's a conspiracy.

BTW...great pic and good find. Am guessing that Spirit was having a round of clay pigeon shooting with the controllers on earth using a joy stick since they cant do much else with it.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
i would say its a meteorid...

well this is a CCD sensor and it happens that with specific setup parts of the array could be outperfomed if its too bright for the array, resulting in black spots like this with some additional light bleeding into adjactend pixels.

The meteor (if it was one) entered the scene from the right as a bright flash resulting in one black spot.
The streak to the right could be a result of light reflecting from the lens system in front of the ccd.
Then the object continued flying to the left and has been captured by some other part of the array, this time as a normal streak on the sky which wasn't that bright anymore.

would you say this would satisfyingly explain it ?

A word about camery quality, and to those ranting about its just black and white.
well, the thing is that these rovers do not have broadband DSL or cable modem with sufficient bandwith to transmit a bulkload of data from mars. since there are multiple cameras on board, and theres also a lot other sensor-data and telemetry to be transmitted, i guess the cameras where the best choice for the system as a whole.
One shall not forget that if you send up technology up on a mission in ...lets say year 2000 .. its development and testing and approval may have took about 20 years prior to that, to ensure that it won't fail right after the landing. So we do have 1980+ technology here.
So you cannot simply glue your iphone to the chassis, because its latest technology at the time you launch such a mission, because it would fall apart on its way to mars.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
No. It's an image from Spirit as the title says, and it could be something on the lens.

So Phage? "it could be" is an interesting statement now isn't it my friend? Ok then, what if it's not? What if it's actually something flying around up there? Maybe the Red Chinese have a craft up there, or even our own black space operation that you don't believe in? LMAO!!! Or maybe it's something flying over the Mohave desert or some Chilean desert? Just saying buddy, with a half laugh.

Whatever it is, some of the land mass looks like it could be a Sea, Ocean or even a very large high desert Lake Phage? Either way, it looks absolutely nothing whatsoever like something stuck on the lens. Atleast in this case anyway my friend. ~$heopleNation

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
To me...
Almost looks like a picture of a picture with a staple in it?
I think its a UFO from the Business Depot

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CashStronomer
To me...
Almost looks like a picture of a picture with a staple in it?
I think its a UFO from the Business Depot

Yep, one half of the staple (the right) folded inward to create a straight line, and the other half (the left) just punched through like a staple does, which sometimes does not bend like the other side? You might be on to something there my friend.

Course, what about the diagonal contrail on the left?
~$heopleNation
edit on 2-12-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Hmmmmm,
Good question? I'm thinkin' maybe a slight crease in the paper, it happens, the pressure from stapling to a cork board? soft wall? etc...

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Erm do my eyes decieve me or is that a skull??

The coloured sea photo looks like the coastline of northern Australia btw

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

99%? If NASA has pixel or artefact problems in that many of their photos then we need to find someone else to go into space.

I think its more like 30-40-50% of anomalous activity from NASA in general is real and the other 50% may be explainable. But I could be being too generous.

Ever see all the anomalous pictures of the moon?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider
reply to post by stirling

It looks jet to be honest .
Anyway I sharpened it up and inverted colors
its a UFO for sure

edit on 1-12-2012 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

Here's what it looks like without sharpening and contrast. Zoomed, you can clearly see the outlines that I have marked. WTF? Probably an image artifact.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The first thing I thought was jet fighter. It may be over the ocean or it may be over the desert. I have heard the theory that Spirit is really in the Arizona desert taking photos for our entertainment and that all the money that was meant for a Mars rover was spent on undisclosed military stuff. I think whoever was taking and releasing the photos that day screwed up. However I wouldnt be surprised if this photo were a fake.

edit on 3/12/12 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by iclark97
Well, I pulled up the Raw images It's definitely not a scratch, or damage to the lens.

Image before " UFO" and, The " UFO " Raw image finally, The next photo afterwards

Exactly this sequence of images truly trashes the artifact on the lens theory. This is clearly some sort of airborne object.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join