It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question regarding having a gun in Illinois and prison time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
So I live in Illinois and that really fails hard. I think the law says I cant carry a legal gun outside of my house.

What happens if for example Im driving and I have a legal gun with me and just out of nowhere a cop stops me. How much prison time or what is the charge for this crime?

What happens if instead of saying I carry it for protection even though its illegal or for some other reason I say I was going to "exit" myself with it? Would this also be a crime or how long would I be in a hospital

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
You can transport firearms in closed containers, like a lock box. I have friends with guns, so I hear all the bitching and moaning about them.

EDIT:

How do I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?

In order to comply with the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner’s Identification Act, when transporting a firearm, it must be: broken down in a non-functioning state; or not immediately accessible; or unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card. For a list of other commonly asked questions on transporting firearms in Illinois, please refer to the Transport Your Firearm Legally brochure available on our website.

edit on 1-12-2012 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

www.isp.state.il.us...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Can you also legally carry bullets for the gun?

What about this off Wikipedia:

"Illinois does not issue licenses for the concealed carry of firearms, nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. Illinois is the only state that does not allow concealed carry in some form. Open carry is also prohibited in most areas. When a firearm is being transported, it must be unloaded and enclosed in a case."

edit on 1-12-2012 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

I just want to make sure. Basically I can carry a unloaded gun in Illinois but I cant carry it loaded right?

edit on 1-12-2012 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

If you're asking for exact legal rights and restrictions, you should read up on the FAQ I linked to above. Beyond that, consult the State's Attorney's office or your local PD.

EDIT: www.isp.state.il.us...

There's the brochure described in my first response.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

k thanks..

new topics

top topics

join