It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HEADS UP: New Traffic Logging Code...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
HEADS UP! There is some new code running on most of the ATS domain which may or may not be noticed by some members. We're experimenting with "remote analytics" in which a small bit of JavaScript in our pages communicates with a reporting server. This eliminates the need for our server to keep traffic logs, and run scheduled analysis on those logs. Since one day of traffic logs is now over 1.5 gigabytes, it makes sense to consider this kind of off-server solution for traffic reporting. If it works well, disabling traffic logs should give us a nice performance boost. The code may trigger a minor alert in some highly-sensitive software-based personal firewalls. I just wanted to alert members that if you see such an alert from OneStat.com... not to worry... it's us.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Hey SO:

If I understand correctly ATS will be logging its traffic on an off-site server run by a third party?

Are there limits or agreements in place about who gets to use or has access to this information?

Hey.. if I wasn't a bit paranoid, I wouldn't be on ATS!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I don't know what S.O.'s talking about.

But I trust him.

Thanks for the Heads up.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainStar

But I trust him.

I trust him too.

I understand the rational but it's the third party I'm worried about. Some big company monitoring big chunks of traffic on the net.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
SO wouldnt be using them if he didnt trust them...

And what does it matter if they have how many people accessed the site, and maybe our IP Addresses?? Our IP Addy can be had through email or just place a piece of _javascript on any site, its no biggy.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hey Gools- do you have Air Miles?
I'd be more concerned about that. (I don't
)

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
Hey Gools- do you have Air Miles?
I'd be more concerned about that. (I don't
)

I have no consumer "loyalty" cards save Petro Canada for buying gas (usually with cash) and rarely use my debit card.

My paranoia in these types of matters is simply due to the fact that a large corporation is more likely to misuse this data for advertisers, or to turn over information to law enforcement or government agencies. (I know...a generalization).

But whatever my opinion, ATS is growing much too fast to put off outsourcing something like this. And as SO said we should see a performance boost.

I think ATS is getting ready to set some more traffic records leading up to and including election time as well as any post election controversies. This will help.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The privacey policy of this firm has been reviewed and is in-line with our privacy policy. Your IP is logged only to calculate unique users, countries of origin, etc., then once the calculations are complete, the IP data is purged, not retained.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Thanks! My DH, Misfit...is a real sticler on out security!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The privacey policy of this firm has been reviewed and is in-line with our privacy policy.

Your IP is logged only to calculate unique users, countries of origin, etc., then once the calculations are complete, the IP data is purged, not retained.

Very liberating news. Good to know that I don't exist on here. Thanks for the headsup, but I haven't come across any changes as of late

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Your IP is logged only to calculate unique users, countries of origin, etc., then once the calculations are complete, the IP data is purged, not retained.

Just wondering...what constitutes a "unique" user?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I don't know if I should ask this here but it makes me wonder where ATS gets the money to fund servers and such? Do the ads give enough?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyzewun

Just wondering...what constitutes a "unique" user?

A different IP address...

Each IP is used to show a Unique User accessing your site. So you can tally how many different people actually accessed the site.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia

Each IP is used to show a Unique User accessing your site. So you can tally how many different people actually accessed the site.

Unless you do the same as I do.

In my house we have 3 computers, all connected to the same modem, so there are 3 people for only one IP address.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Betcha no one else has my IP addy!

Am I unique S.O.?

I sooooo... want to be *unique*

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Thank you for that. It's amazing...the kazillion little things one can learn about computers.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Unless you do the same as I do.

In my house we have 3 computers, all connected to the same modem, so there are 3 people for only one IP address.

there is a way to have more than 1 IP with 3 computers on 1 network..

I used to do this when I started coming here, cause well I was pariniod..

Proxy Servers..

you can have actualy 4 IPs for the network and not even use your original one...

[edit on 24-10-2004 by ThichHeaded]

new topics

top topics

join