Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Power (Freedom) vs Acceptance - Being in the "Now" or breaking one's will!?

page: 7
4
<< 4  5  6   >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by Itisnowagain
 


So if a person isn't here "now' that means that they do not exist?


If a 'person' came to presence (now) it would die. Presence is your absence. The 'person' would be raptured, the 'person' would be no more and the kingdom would be revealed as oneness is realized.
Then there are no persons, no anythings.
Just this.

Don't get me wrong, it is the same and quite ordinary. Really ordinary but wonderful.
edit on 4-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)


This is where you always lose me. You say that there are no things, and yet clearly there are.


Hence, the difference between metaphysics and philosophy. In philosophy, there's no requirement to deal with the reality that sits at your feet, wagging its tail and waiting to be taken out to do its business. Reality is like family - unrehearsed and unexpected. That's the charm of it, though. It wins you over by being its own version of wonderful, and not what you think wonderful should be. In that sense, reality demands of you, and after a while, you become personally invested in it if you fulfill that demand to the best of your ability.

Philosophy is existential masturbation. No demand, no investment. Philosophy is a 20 minute porn clip that won't be there when you need someone to talk to. It's fascinating, but in your deepest levels of ongoing perception, you know that it's not real. Just clever intellectual manipulations, and not much else.

The idea that nothing exist beyond the quantum of NOW can be philosophically defended. That's no heroic accomplishment. That said, when the debate has been carried to its limits, everyone still has to deal with the ongoing ramifications that exist as a result of every other instant of NOW that's preceded the instant of NOW that each person exists within from quantum to quantum. The body ages, the mind recalls, the dust piles up, the rust continues its relentless feeding.

Philosophy doesn't answer questions. It discovers questions that need to be asked.




posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by Itisnowagain
 


So if a person isn't here "now' that means that they do not exist?


If a 'person' came to presence (now) it would die. Presence is your absence. The 'person' would be raptured, the 'person' would be no more and the kingdom would be revealed as oneness is realized.
Then there are no persons, no anythings.
Just this.

Don't get me wrong, it is the same and quite ordinary. Really ordinary but wonderful.
edit on 4-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)


This is where you always lose me. You say that there are no things, and yet clearly there are.


Things is plural and oneness is single. Things are thinks. The mind separates it all up but there is nothing separate really.



posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster
 




Originally posted by NorEaster


Philosophy is existential masturbation. No demand, no investment. Philosophy is a 20 minute porn clip that won't be there when you need someone to talk to. It's fascinating, but in your deepest levels of ongoing perception, you know that it's not real. Just clever intellectual manipulations, and not much else.


I disagree. Philosophy is not porn, it is more like self-disapline to YOUR reaction to what happens in reality. If I believe that "pain" is a good thing (although painful), I will train myself to react differently to it when it happens.

Porn does not teach you to be content with sex life, it just put a temporary fix until you change your THINKING about your sex life



posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
Philosophy doesn't answer questions. It discovers questions that need to be asked.


What does answer questions?





new topics

top topics
 
4
<< 4  5  6   >>

log in

join