120,000 lightning strikes hit in severe Australian storms

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   

As many as 1300 people are expected to do without power in their homes for a second night after storms damaged infrastructure across South Australia. More than 120,000 lightning strikes were recorded across the state on Friday, with as many as 14,000 an hour recorded during the evening. The industrial town of Whyalla may not have been "wiped off the map" by the introduction of the carbon tax, as predicted by Opposition Leader Tony Abbott earlier this year, but it certainly took a battering from electrical storms, leaving more than 5000 people without power on Friday night.

Link

I don't normally post in this forum , so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place .

I am astounded at the amount of lightning strikes recorded in an evening . Here in NZ we rarely get strikes , we normally have sheet lighting most of the time , we do get strikes but it is not the norm.

When I read this report it blew my mind that so many strikes could occur in such a short time .
No conspiracy , I just wanted to share a wow news story.

Mods please move or delete if I have posted in the wrong forum .

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillock
120,000 lightning strikes hit in severe Australian storms

Back in this thread a month ago, I was commenting on the fact that lines of storms crossing Australia (in a cloud band stretching north west to south east) are reasonably common this time of year and that it was NOT due to aliens or HAARP.
I even said...

cold fronts move through Australia on a regular basis like this through the summer. ... I'll predict at least another one before christmas.

I like to be proven right.

edit on 1-12-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
What is a typical storms amount of lightning strikes?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Perhaps something is going to happen December 21, 2012

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
My uncle filmed that storm in SA, I'll see if I can get the 7 minute video, it's unreal to watch, the lightening was unrelenting and looked like a shoot out in the sky

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
last night in tassie was watching this lighting. it was northwesterly, no thunder just flashes of lighting.

Was a pretty weird storm for tasmania normally you hear rumbles.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koreanphood
Perhaps something is going to happen December 21, 2012

silly and not related to this thread.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AlanQaida

Did you have any luck getting hold of the video ?
I would love to see it .

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Thats not a Lightening strike........

THIS is a lightening strike......

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

14,000 strikes per hr = 3 stikes per second

120,000 strikes for the whole storm = 7.5hrs

That seems alot ... however South Australia is HUGE at 983,482 square kilometres [info sourced from wiki]

And on average that would mean 1 strike per 70 square kilometers or 1 strike per 8km^2 if the lightning strikes, over a single hour, were evenly spaced out!

Personal Disclosure: The storm itself was far larger than the area of South Australia and lightning can and does strike the same area more than once and both of those details seriously change the statistical analysis I have provided above. I hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillock

Did you have any luck getting hold of the video ?
I would love to see it .

Hey mate, I'm trying to figure out how to download the video from Facebook, I'm on my days off now so ill try and get it done after lunch, check back around dinner time

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I've edited the video and removed the sound as there was quite a bit of swearing etc, and you couldn't hear any thunder over said swearing, so just the pure light show. enjoy

edit on 2/12/2012 by AlanQaida because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Beautiful vid! I like how people get on here and say that all this extreme weather is completely normal. We've had one powerful storm after another for months now...too many to list, but to name a few, Sandy, Italy, Australia, UK, and now the ARk storm in California. The other day the largest recorded water spout was off coast of Australia, then a much larger than normal tornado strikes in southern Italy.

Maybe they are right and they are normal. Maybe we here at ATS are much more alert to all these weather events due to the real-time reporting of them here, therefore, it's easy to believe there is a drastic increase in intensity and frequency of storms.

Or, maybe they are wrong and there is something to be concerned about. Only time will tell!

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Yes Brisbane had quite a bit of a freak storm, It started building up early morning from out west, and came over brisbane around lunch time. it didnt last long but it had high winds, heavy rain, lightning and hail causing quite a bit of damage. And then it was gone.

And then nighttime came, and another storm came over.. then gone. then morning and another storm, then lunch another storm, then night another storm.

wave after wave of high energy storms, with a huge amount of lightning strikes.

I dont think there was anything out of the ordinary...

i did enjoy listening to the rumblings tho. it was funny because i had just looked at the *worldwide strange noises* not long before... so i was imagining the storm as a cover for War of the Worlds type aliens suddenly appearing and finally doing something for once.

No sadly... wild random weather is just a thing that occurs.. its no different than americas recent tropical hurricane meeting winter storms over new york.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Nothing serious here, just a bunch of lightning that always comes before a new volcano forms. I wouldn't worry about it, that Lava will keep you guys warm all next winter.
Naw, just kidding, I don't have anything other than the changing weather patterns that the world is experiencing now.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by weavybaby

I have about 9 hours of footage from the storms around brisbane from a couple weeks back.
I'm so glad I invested in a camera and tripod

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
That's exactly the reason I want to move to Australia.

new topics

join