It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

doomsday hysteria grips Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

doomsday hysteria grips Russia

rt.com

Doomsday hysteria has gripped Russia and some of its neighbors. Travel agencies are selling tours to either heaven or hell and people are stocking up on food and fuel. Officials are publicly denying the apocalypse, hoping to calm the hype.
Those awaiting Doomsday have three weeks to finish their preparations before the date of the much publicized apocalypse allegedly predicted by Mayan calendar, that is going to happen on December 21, 2012.
Thousands of people across Russia keep stocking up their back rooms and balconies with food, fuel and other supplies they might need when disaster strike
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I cannot begin to describe how crap like this angers me.
Rumour after unfounded rumour with no science backing, and we at ATS have sometimes been no better. We grab something sensational and run with it.
There is nothing about the end of the world on the stones.
Go read them. They're boring. Weather, what happened that day etc. I cannot wait until Jan 1 so all I have to listen to after that is Nibiru reruns.

rt.com
edit on 1-12-2012 by winterkill because: typop

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
It doesn't matter, let them all go completely freaking nuts that day. I encourage it really at this point.

That's the only way any of them will learn. That's how I learned everything I regret doing.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill

I cannot begin to describe how crap like this angers me.
Rumour after unfounded rumour with no science backing, and we at ATS have sometimes been no better. We grab something sensational and run with it.
There is nothing about the end of the world on the stones.
Go read them. They're boring. Weather, what happened that day etc. I cannot wait until Jan 1 so all I have to listen to after that is Nibiru reruns.

rt.com
edit on 1-12-2012 by winterkill because: typop

In other news, in the Mayan Riviera they are offering some great resort and hotel deals for 2012-21-12. A few promotional offers say that they will not charge you for your trip if the world ends! Which isn't half bad.

This is pretty innocent marketing in my opinion though, and doesn't bother me. It was the viral efforts in the last 3 years that went well beyond what should be considered acceptable by the audiences it has been targeting.

Without having any facts backing this tripe, people really ought to pay attention when they are getting hosed.

and we at ATS have sometimes been no better.

That doesn't apply to all of us.

+25 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Who said an event that has yet to occur, needs any scientific backing at all?

If something unknown is coming, something we haven't seen before.... how can science possibly suggest it?

Dec 21 is shrouded in mystery that it seems only the ancients knew what may be coming.

if anything is going to happen, its going to be something we haven't seen before.

And it will come like a thief in the night, because we have no idea to expect it. Especially since most of us are so conditioned to dismiss anything to do with a possible doomsday, or awakening, or some kind of world ending or paradigm shifting event.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
To be honest I'm glad to see an actual news report on it.

I think everyone should prepare for something to happen, even if nothing happens....

There is far to much surrounding dec 21, to ignore the coincidences.

It's not just the mayan calendar.... its also the zodiac, its the kali yuga, its hinted at in the bible,

Its found in the 33rd circumference of the earth.

I'm not getting into details here, but the mathematics of it, along with precession, and zodiac ages, is amazingly precise.

Theres been crop circles suggesting 2012 as some event.

Not to mention all the new agers going crazy stating things about oneness and love and ascension, all of which i have experienced myself, I know it to be true, through experience.

To be honest, it wouldn't make any sense for dec 21 to come and go without anything out of the ordinary happening.

What will happen, is anyones guess, lots of theories, but according to the ancients, it will be the return of something, whether that be consciousness, or extra terrestials I don;t know.

But I certainly believe people should be aware of this date, and approach it with open mindedness, and preparedness.

There is nothing wrong with being prepared and nothing happening. . How many of you have an earthquake kit, or a first aid kit handy.... for a just in case scenario?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
"Travel agencies are selling tours to either heaven or hell" This part has me laughing a bit while also scratching my head, would some people really believe this to be legitimate?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Not a bad idea to stock up and food and supplies so at least the Mayan end of the world myth is good for something more then entertainment value...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I can't wait for the 22nd when sitchin will come on air and say. You were all part of a thought experiment, turns out you all fail. That's right, you're all a bunch of gullible idiots. At which point he will chuckle hearty, and leave the seen in a platinum, diamond and white gold encrusted escalade limousine.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
I can't wait for the 22nd when sitchin will come on air and say. You were all part of a thought experiment, turns out you all fail. That's right, you're all a bunch of gullible idiots. At which point he will chuckle hearty, and leave the seen in a platinum, diamond and white gold encrusted escalade limousine.

I guess that might be the way it would go down if he wasn't dead.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please have a look, it is not the prophecy now, it is the hype that becomes dangerous, almost self fulfilling.

P

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I am entirely shocked and disgusted at this behavior from the Russians. Its one thing to be prepared for any and all eventuallity, to have the swiss army knife of supplies in case of a major disaster, or deliberate infrastructural sabotage, or similar. But to really believe this Mayan crap, despite the protestations of the current representatives of the Mayan people, who have already called this hysteria out as being based on utter poppycock, AND to go out and prepare for THAT eventuallity, as opposed to all the other, far more likely dangers that face the species right now, is just plain foolish in my opinion.

And what really galls me the most I think, is that Russia has long been associated with stoicism, practicallity in its people. It is known for its scentists, it is known for its pragmatism, and yet, this hyped up, amped up hysterical behavior is something I would expect from a far less... sensible population.

We may laugh at this pathetic behavior, based on nothing but the ill informed prattle of a few goons who have misrepresented the Mayan approach to calandar creation, but the effects of this behavior long term may prove fatal to the ecconomy of Russia, and by extention the rest of the planet also. Russia has an awful lot of clout internationally. They own oil, and gas pipelines, and reserves of both fuels, and if thier nation splurges all its individual wealth on unsupportable survival purchases, the Russian government (and its tendrils) will seek to regain any losses and debts by way of increasing the prices they charge nations they supply with fuel. This will strike like a frozen spear tip into the hot hearts of the nations that Russias pipelines supply.

Unfortunately, those nations who take thier supply from Russia, and here I speak of those nations that used to be part of Russia, are also nations which in previous economic disasters in the region, have become fractured, violent, and self destructive. So, a jolly good laugh we may have at the people of Russia, but thier behavior, if expensive enough long term, has the potential to cause devestation to the entire region, politically and financially. If that effect becomes deep enough, the region may be plunged into yet another period of resource war and wanton dealing of death, and that benifits no one.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

i see you threw another thread on the subject up today.. If it annoys you and you don't give it any credibility (Neither do I), why bother with it? Just let it go man.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Hey just remember, there is an American show called Doomsday preppers who base their preps around the same crap. This isn't just isolated in Russia, its everywhere.. I'm sure the Russians were not the ones pushing it on the western masses either.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx

He must be Christ then.. Is he going to return from the dead or something?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
This is like Y2K all over again.

To add, any merchandise associated with the date of the 21st of Dec 2012 will be quickly thrown in the trash the day after and the whole Mayan calendar mystery will become a long forgotten episode of our lives (no different to Y2K). I am looking forward to a fun time with my family this christmas and I do not have time for the apocalypse this year.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

I am aware of the doomsday preppers in the states. However, many of them prepare for all eventuallities, not just the Mayan concern. Some are concerned about nuclear devastation in the event of a full scale war. Others are concerned about natural disasters,issues to do with pole shifts, ice age onset, or government deciding that tyranny is best performed in the open, and other slightly less ridiculous causes of the end of the world as we know it to be.

However, this specific wave of paranoid behavior in Russia seems centred around the idea that the Mayan calendar ending is some how going to cause, or pressages the end of the world. That is very different from the general preparations made by people elsewhere, and seems more driven and focused, and of course, totally barmy.

I have no reason to ridicule the preppers who are getting ready to survive ANYTHING, but to get prepared to face the apocalypse on the say so of people who have had thier theories invalidated, is utterly crazy, and unhelpful, and may cause a total collapse of economic stability in a region of the globe that can scarcely afford such a thing.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Why is everyone taking this literally!! I name a complete buffoon responsible for a number of fanatical conspiracies with this year and everyone jumps on the fact he's dead. Who the eff cares? This whole 12 21 12 crap is complete Bull crap and you all know it. His rising from the grave is just as likely as the supposed doom him and all the other pseudoscience preaching mongrals spew coming to pass.
edit on 1-12-2012 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Gold (well, pale blue actually, but its the thought that counts right?) star for you. This is precisely the sort of logic that one ought to apply to this wave of idiocy. If it wasnt worth preparing for the end of the world ten years ago, then it isnt this year, just because some debunked theory suggests that we all die before new year!

Your voice is one of reason ! Speak ! TESTIFY!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
well this is going according to plan.

If we don't make this thing a reality with all the dumb people running around causing havoc in a state of hysteria it won't happen at all. Some will make a KILLING in sales of emergency supplies. Either way, killing will be done. Just not what people are thinking.

Imagine the day after..... biggest troll moment in history....

edit on 1-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join