It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movie Red Dawn Creates Racism Against Asians In Audience - The Power Of Movies!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Truth of the matter is you'd have Asian-American men and women fighting and dying for America just as hard or harder then any "real" "true-blood" American.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I saw the movie specifically to see what jingoistic messages would be spewed forth. I noted the characters this time around were given a more war-like mindset, getting into the thick of it pretty quickly. I love how the older brother character mentions his fighting in Iraq and fighting the locals, "but now we're doing it as the good guys" as though any local citizenry repelling invasion wouldn't be considered the good guys.

In the 80s version, I remember the Cuban commando remarked on the same thing...on his fighting in Angola and Nicaragua with the Marxist guerrillas and how suddenly he was caught on the other side of rebellion against the peasants and he wasn't used to that vantage point. Oddly, when the shoe is on the other foot...i.e., the American war vet brother makes this comment in the film, there isn't even a slight acknowledgement of irony.

As far as the race issue, I found it unimaginative that, being the Pacific Northwest and all, the movie makers didnt bother to include a Korean- (or other east-Asian) American among the main cast of teen rebels. I think one of the marine's ethnicity was not even attended too with bigotry by the kids. Maybe that was their way of giving a nod and a wink to political correctness in the film (by avoiding), but based on sentiments thus far, from Japanese-American internment in WWII up to the recent Sikh temple assault in Minnesota, bigotry towards the supposed "other" does happen and dealing with it is difficult...we can see any of those kids above picking up a gun and shooting a forth generation Thai or Vietnamese American if China were to go to war with us, can't we?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Originally posted by MaMaa

Originally posted by CranialSponge
This just reinforces my suspicion that the kiddies of today's generation really are lacking in the intellectual reasoning department... which reflects back to our piss poor education system.

These mindless tweeting kids are our future folks.

Now there's a scary thought.

Rest assured that I have four kids I am doing my best to make sure they don't turn out like the average bear!
We teach them to think things through, question everything (even parents and teachers), and to think critically.. not just believe what they are told, but to think it through.

but, I'm afraid that you are in the minority.

Maybe so, but hey my four boys could influence a lot of people!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
utterly despicable and shows a horrifyingly sad state of affairs in this country

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join