It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People see what they want to see...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Just short....did you notice how all of a sudden people claim to see "drones" anywhere they go?

It's interesting to note since two years or so ago no-one would have said to see "drones"...and boom! drones get into the media, all of a sudden people believe they see them anywhere.

Logic says that while drones do in fact exist, it's very UNLIKELY that they'll be seen as often in normal daily live, flying over residential areas etc..this just doesn't make any sense.

It's an example how media influence and personal bias or belief makes people see "things" and how they interpret what they see so it always matches current knowledge and events.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
Just short....did you notice how all of a sudden people claim to see "drones" anywhere they go?

It's interesting to note since two years or so ago no-one would have said to see "drones"...and boom! drones get into the media, all of a sudden people believe they see them anywhere.

Logic says that while drones do in fact exist, it's very UNLIKELY that they'll be seen as often in normal daily live, flying over residential areas etc..this just doesn't make any sense.

It's an example how media influence and personal bias or belief makes people see "things" and how they interpret what they see so it always matches current knowledge and events.

As opposed to them saying they saw UFO's everywhere they go?

Not sure I get the point of the post since, as you stated, "drones do in fact exist" and UFO's (in the alien sense) have never been proven to exist then I would say it is much more likely that what someone may see is a drone versus a UFO.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
How about looking at it from another angle. We see what we acknowledge to be real. Have you ever noticed that you do not notice a certain type of vehicle until you buy one or are thinking of buying and suddenly they are everywhere? This has happened to me with many things. So, are we just so focused on our own lives that we don't notice the reality around us until we have a reason to?

Also I remember reading somewhere about a group of aboriginals and perhaps it was Columbus? I will have to look it up. This giant ship came ashore. The aboriginals did not see it because it was not part of their usual reality. Their minds could not acknowledge its existence immediately.
edit on 30-11-2012 by icmom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Flame me right now,cause my knowledge to expell and believe me not...you are 99% right

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

It is also the reason individual witnesses, even trained ones, all watching the same event, come up with completely different views of what happened, almost all of them wrong if compared to a videotape of the event..

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

? ive never seen one, but, if a bunch of people are claiming to see them, does that not indicate that people are seeing something, or are people just collectively making stuff up?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Depends on the perspective of the judge.

A lot of people make really quick judgments on things that they have not bothered to research.
A lot of people.

It's sad. While more people every day are opening their reality to new possibilities, many not by choice or "want", there will always be the group with their grimy fingers in their ears screaming "it's not happening".
edit on 30-11-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

It's possible that the up-tick in drone sightings could be legitimate and due to the broadening use of UAV's/drones in recent years. There are a multitude of purposes that they can be used for, many government agencies and private organisations are aquiring them.

UAV's/Drones - Wiki

edit on 30-11-2012 by Perhaps because: fix link

edit on 30-11-2012 by Perhaps because: as above, ha.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

ive always believed that to close the mind is to hinder discovery.

thats why hardcore skeptics have always bothered me. not saying skepticism is not healthy, but at some point, it is hindering the pursuit of knowledge.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

The really interesting thing that is going to come up is the law. Right now it is legal to buy them. Last time I looked it was like $300 with a camera. The police say they can use them without a warrant as they are operating in public space. What are they going to say when some pervert does the same thing? If it is legal for a LEO to do it from a public space without a warrant then it SHOULD be legal for a private citizen to do the same. Except it could be someone spying on your wife or daughter so what do you do?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Its a simple fact that our brains like to make sense of what we see. If someone see's something in the sky they cant identify their brains will search for a label to make sense of it.

The thought process is :

-I cant identify it and i am capable of identifying everything so therefore it must = something special / secret
-If its something special / secret it must = UFO
-UFO must = visiting aliens.

But now more people are coming round to slightly more logical answers for not being able to identify something in the air and that includes Drones. Although i doubt very much that there really has been a huge increase of drone sightings, its just the something special category is now including drones.

edit on 1-12-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Boy I dont know.....I have seen some things and believe me.... wasnt looking for them.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by icmom
Also I remember reading somewhere about a group of aboriginals and perhaps it was Columbus? I will have to look it up. This giant ship came ashore. The aboriginals did not see it because it was not part of their usual reality. Their minds could not acknowledge its existence immediately.

I have seen many people from the US saying that, but that's just the result of someone making up that stupid quote.

If people reacted that way, nobody would have ever seen something for the first time. Imagine the first television, it looked like nothing else that existed before, but people were able to see it.

As for those supposed aboriginals that didn't see the ship, the ship looked relatively similar to sail boats to be recognised by someone that hadn't ever seen one, so even if the idea behind this was true, the fact is not.

PS: The Portuguese, the Spanish and the British were the first to reach many places where nobody with large ships had gone before, and something like that was never reported.

top topics

join