It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will be our first confirming evidence?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
1. Safely distant unambiguous radio signal detected
2. Microbial life, and/or simple life found on Mars, or somewhere else in our solar system
3. Aliens show up in the open to say "hello", destroy us, harvest us, enslave us, make friends, whatever.
4. We find/locate/detect a derelict, or even active alien probe
5. Bio-SETI finds unassailable evidence we were engineered by aliens
6. We find xeno-archaeological remains on the moon, Mars, an asteroid, somewhere: abandoned facilities, listening/transmission/detection/sensing equipment left behind, artifacts of non-human origin.

edit on 30-11-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

I guess it could be any of the above.
But I wouldn't want to be the scientist trying to break the news to the news media.
I can just imagine some smirking, giggling CNN news anchor breaking into hysterical laughter and playing clips from the pseudo-reality TV show "Hunting UFOs", to ridicule the discovery, rather than report it.

Something like this recent "news" segment...
Scientists: DNA proves Bigfoot is real

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I think that depends on how you are approaching the subject. For the great majority, proof will come when all mankind sees the writing on the wall, and has the graffiti of suppoistion and speculation confirmed by science...

Originally posted by Druscilla
1. Safely distant unambiguous radio signal detected

If by safely unambiguous, you mean a radio signal that bares unmistakeable hallmarks of being devised by an intelligence of some kind, then why not? The only difficulty here would be, would we recognise such a thing if it came? There is a chance that a sufficiently complex signal could be lost in the noise of the stars. Therefore the transmission would have to be directed toward us to have a hope of getting through. Furthermore, it is unlikely that we would be able to discern all but the most basic of proof of its intelligent origin. Also, one must remember that the first broadcast an alien intelligence is likely to have picked up, would have been of Adolf "may his name be forever cursed" Hitler, pontificating and hating on people, so its unlikely any neighbor we would want to meet, would reply to such drivel, save to blow us all to hell to keep our hatred in the past, and prevent us from infecting the cosmos with our unreasoning xenophobia.

Another sigificant difficulty, will be that there will be an inevitable language barrier, and without evidence to say that the alien language will be decodable for us, there is every reason to suspect that only the most basic mathematical correspondance would have been sent, or could be discerned. Then you have the issue of how long such a signal would take to reach one star system from another, which could mean that the originator of the messege has long since given up, ceased to send, and/or has ceased to exist.

2. Microbial life, and/or simple life found on Mars, or somewhere else in our solar system

Again, it depends what you are intending to confirm. If they found microbial life on Mars (about which there has been recent speculation), then all that would confirm in fairness, is that there are microbes on Mars. Even if it were proven that the microbes were of martian or non terran origin, rather than being contamination from the lander/rover, all that would prove and confirm, is that Mars has microbial life, living on its surface. One might deduce from that information, that Mars HAD a flourishing ecology at one point, but there again, it might just make a better case for the argument, rather than being proof itself.

3. Aliens show up in the open to say "hello", destroy us, harvest us, enslave us, make friends, whatever.

Well of course that would be confirmation, but is pretty unlikely at this point, from what facts there are on this topic.

4. We find/locate/detect a derelict, or even active alien probe

I would be very suprised if we had the fortune to stumble across something like that, and if we DID, I would be even more suprised if it came out into the public domain. There is much speculation that such things have occured before and been hushed up, so as a confirmation it is sketchy,because confirmation to my mind would be by a method that is inclusive and open.

5. Bio-SETI finds unassailable evidence we were engineered by aliens

If that was remotely on the cards, then we would already have to have evidence that they existed in the first place (of which there exists none, and if found would render any confirmation centering around that line of thought moot, since alien life would already have been proven by the EXISTENCE of aliens to do the genetic manipulation in the first place) and examples of thier work in DNA manufacture, to compare our own DNA to. We dont have either, or at least, if we do, then most of us dont know it, and it is therefore of little use in confirming anything to the wider population of the planet, which is the only aim of searching for intelligent life in the universe, to answer for all mankind the big question, are we alone out there?

6. We find xeno-archaeological remains on the moon, Mars, an asteroid, somewhere: abandoned facilities,listening/transmission/detection/sensing equipment left behind, artifacts of non-human origin.

That would seal the deal, but is again reliant on our being TOLD about anything of that nature. The best confirmation, will come when something that literally cannot be debunked, re-imagined, questioned or refuted comes to the attention of all mankind. Individuals knowing something is of no use in this regard unless the truth is told to all mankind. I myself refuse to believe anything that I cannot touch, test and examine for myself, save of course for matters of faith. However, faith has no place in what should be a purely scientific area of study.
I am hopeful however, that we will see such a thing in my lifetime, though I have no reason to suspect it will be so.
edit on 1-12-2012 by TrueBrit because: Corrected quote error.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
Maybe we already have our proof. They messed with our food supply.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. We have to think hard about the facts, even if they are little known.

The cow was left paralyzed on its back, legs pointed up into the air. The reproduction organs are gone and there is no trace of anything, so it is very very mysterious, and sometimes this would happen under the nose of ranchers in broad daylight.

We have to conclude the simplest answer in order to be right. Simply, they were making hybrids and experimenting with genetics.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Non-Scientific for fun/speculation, wild-ass guesses

Microbial life, and/or simple life found on Mars, or somewhere else in our solar system Before 2030
Safely distant unambiguous radio signal detected Before 2050
We find/locate/detect a derelict, or even active alien probe
We find xeno-archaeological remains on the moon, Mars, an asteroid, somewhere: abandoned facilities, listening/transmission/detection/sensing equipment left behind, artifacts of non-human origin
Aliens show up in the open to say "hello", destroy us, harvest us, enslave us, make friends, whatever. After 2075, Before 2125

My guesses, hope I am wrong and all the good stuff happens tomorrow

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
How long are we supposed to ignore giant unnatural satellite looking UFO's all around the sun. How long are we supposed to buy lens anomalies? Seems pretty obvious that intelligently manufactured, controlled vehicles are orbiting the sun, not getting sucked in, and are most likely researching or harvesting electromagnetic energy. The advanced technology needed to make this so is eons ahead of us. Something unnatural is definitely out there.

edit on 1-12-2012 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by greyer

The MO for all these mutilations is the same even for humans (I saw a pic recently). Left jaw and eyeball, repros and, on the cows, udders. On some the anus is cored out. All are drained of blood and various organs are missing. The procedure is clean, as if done with a laser, and there is never evidence of the "crime". Some of these carcasses are dumped in such a way that they end up in the treetops.

Why cows? They are our principle source of protein here. In the 80's we saw a dramatic increase in Alzheimer's/dementia.

Asians eat more poultry. Over there it's variants of H1N1.

Recently we're seeing developments in pork viruses, exotic variants that have mutated with H1N1 components.

Maybe it's not ET, but someone is definitely playing in the lab.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Logically aliens could have visited Earth anytime so the chances of alien contact occurring within human recorded history is small compared with the age of the Earth. There are probably clues hidden in some of the ancient observatories like Newgrange and the pyramids that have never been revealed. One question that should be asked is.. if the original observors were smart enough to realize that self evident clues within any human paradigm can be disappeared, how would they embed their secrets for posterity?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
the aliens visited our earth long time ago and have shaped the society as it is today. maybe but without proof its just someones fantasy

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail
How long are we supposed to ignore giant unnatural satellite looking UFO's all around the sun.How long are we supposed to buy lens anomalies?

For at least as long as it continues to be proven that they ARE lens anomalies, hot pixels, or what ever happens to be causing them.

Seems pretty obvious that intelligently controlled vehicles are orbiting the sun, not getting sucked in, and are most likely harvesting electromagnetic energy. The advanced technology needed to make this so is eons ahead of us. Something unnatural is definitely out there.

The only thing that is "out there" is that people who have barely the wit to tie thier own shoes in the morning see fit to lambast the scientific community, and NASA, when they try to stop people believing that hot pixels and lens anomalies are actually solid objects that exist in real space.

There has never been a solid return that matches the "appearance" of these alleged objects. There has never been a solid debunking of the lens anomaly explanation. There has however, been plenty of the most ill informed prattle I have ever heard, in support of the idea that these non existant objects are alien craft.

The fail is not just strong with this issue, but epic.

There is, and has never been, a single shred of evidence to support the idea that there are objects orbiting, or harvesting anything from the sun. There has been an awful lot of speculation, and not a damned bit of it supported by any actual evidence.

So how long do reasoning people have to put up with this utterly unsupported twaddle? How long are we supposed to accept the witless droning of "Its clearly alien vessels of some kind harvesting from the sun"? Isnt it time that we had some scientific rigor around here? Some sense? Some actual understanding of the equipment being used would explain how these false reads are comming about, but no one seems to want to know about reality around here!

Apart from anything else, this sort of bloody nonsense detracts from the status, of UFOlogy as a serious area of study. Its unhelpful, unrealistic, and causes proper studies to have to work harder to attain results that people will listen to, and all because some people wouldnt know the business end of a particle accelerator from the nozzle on thier vacum cleaner.

UTTER FAIL.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

How do you explain the Black Knight satellite?

STS-88 snapped pictures of it. Ignore the stupid audio -

edit on 12/1/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/12/2012 by ArMaP because: embedding code corrected

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

The question is not how I explain it, but how the science community, with its huge plethora of devices, explains the object. Look it up for yourself, or you will never learn anything worth knowing.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I've read all the stuff on it. They can't explain it. They can't explain what it is or how it got there. NASA won't examine it, as if they're afraid of it.

How do you explain something weighing 15 tons orbiting the planet before man was in space?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
i am a creationist and i believe wholeheartedly that they're out there, could have been here all along, on their way, etc.. am i rare or is there others like me? as far as "our first confirming evidence" i don't know if we'll ever really get that until they roll up and say HI because at this point i don't think we'd be willing or able to accept the "truth" even if it was given to us on a silver platter mainly because of all the lies and disinformation we get on a minute by minute basis just about everything.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
What does it matter anyway? We're probably the Pitcairn Island of the universe.

I don't believe the government is being candid with us. Too many people have seen things.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Originally posted by sparrowstail
How long are we supposed to ignore giant unnatural satellite looking UFO's all around the sun.How long are we supposed to buy lens anomalies?

For at least as long as it continues to be proven that they ARE lens anomalies, hot pixels, or what ever happens to be causing them.

Seems pretty obvious that intelligently controlled vehicles are orbiting the sun, not getting sucked in, and are most likely harvesting electromagnetic energy. The advanced technology needed to make this so is eons ahead of us. Something unnatural is definitely out there.

The only thing that is "out there" is that people who have barely the wit to tie thier own shoes in the morning see fit to lambast the scientific community, and NASA, when they try to stop people believing that hot pixels and lens anomalies are actually solid objects that exist in real space.

There has never been a solid return that matches the "appearance" of these alleged objects. There has never been a solid debunking of the lens anomaly explanation. There has however, been plenty of the most ill informed prattle I have ever heard, in support of the idea that these non existant objects are alien craft.

The fail is not just strong with this issue, but epic.

There is, and has never been, a single shred of evidence to support the idea that there are objects orbiting, or harvesting anything from the sun. There has been an awful lot of speculation, and not a damned bit of it supported by any actual evidence.

So how long do reasoning people have to put up with this utterly unsupported twaddle? How long are we supposed to accept the witless droning of "Its clearly alien vessels of some kind harvesting from the sun"? Isnt it time that we had some scientific rigor around here? Some sense? Some actual understanding of the equipment being used would explain how these false reads are comming about, but no one seems to want to know about reality around here!

Apart from anything else, this sort of bloody nonsense detracts from the status, of UFOlogy as a serious area of study. Its unhelpful, unrealistic, and causes proper studies to have to work harder to attain results that people will listen to, and all because some people wouldnt know the business end of a particle accelerator from the nozzle on thier vacum cleaner.

UTTER FAIL.

Comon

I've seen in some where solar flares are exploding, engulfing these objects and are silhouetted around these "lens anomalies" of yours. If this were the case, what we see would no be interacting that way. Many even have complex symmetrical geometric shapes. HArdly a piece of lint on the lens.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Despite all being scientists and presumably not partial to dishonesty, folk would still require more than that to accept life from elsewhere.

We'd need more.

Absolutely. People believe what they want to believe - and rearrange reality to suit them

We have scientists trying (desperately) to explain so many things - some of these things are actually quite urgent

Look what happens when the science doesn't work for certain groups politically, financially or spiritually - all you have to do is suggest that science is up to something and science goes out the window

People are always willing to believe they're being hoodwinked

It's an interesting situation - fascinating actually

Science has to be methodical in it's approach. Not necessarily skeptical - but relentless, tireless - almost fanatically honest about how it collects information, analyzes it - presents it

But - whatever it would take to convince science - that would still not necessarily convince the rest of us

So - an in your face world-wide hostile invasion? :-)

A peaceful encounter might be seen as fabrication - political and manipulative

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

In the end, so far, we're still left with our hands in our pockets, staring awkwardly at our shoes, still wondering and asking ourselves; Are we alone?

Druscilla - do you think the gorillas know about Paris?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Numbers 1 and 2 are most probable I believe..

You know it's funny that people can look at the UFO sightings of old and the UFO sightings of new and can't seem to see the "Evolution" of the UFO. And the fact that the UFO of today has advanced along with our technology and the "evolved idea" as to what a UFO "should" be.

I want to believe like everyone else here. However, I've been blessed with a skeptical mind and will not warp reality around a truth. I need to find a truth that warps my reality.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by n3mesis
i am a creationist and i believe wholeheartedly that they're out there, could have been here all along, on their way, etc.. am i rare or is there others like me? as far as "our first confirming evidence" i don't know if we'll ever really get that until they roll up and say HI because at this point i don't think we'd be willing or able to accept the "truth" even if it was given to us on a silver platter mainly because of all the lies and disinformation we get on a minute by minute basis just about everything.

Wait till you find out the biggest secret Mr. Creationist. "The truth is, there is no truth"

Got questions? See Buddha

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join