It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will be our first confirming evidence?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
We've all heard reports of UFOs,

even alien abductions.

Some of us read science fiction novels that propose a variety of what-ifs.

Occasionally there's the rare potential maybe that turns out for not: Microbial Life on Mars?

The Wow signal?

In the end, so far, we're still left with our hands in our pockets, staring awkwardly at our shoes, still wondering and asking ourselves; Are we alone?

If ever there is confirming contact that leaves without a doubt, what will it be?
There's several possibilities:

1. Safely distant unambiguous radio signal detected
2. Microbial life, and/or simple life found on Mars, or somewhere else in our solar system
3. Aliens show up in the open to say "hello", destroy us, harvest us, enslave us, make friends, whatever.
4. We find/locate/detect a derelict, or even active alien probe
5. Bio-SETI finds unassailable evidence we were engineered by aliens
6. We find xeno-archaeological remains on the moon, Mars, an asteroid, somewhere: abandoned facilities, listening/transmission/detection/sensing equipment left behind, artifacts of non-human origin.

Pretending there will be a when, how do you think we'll discover that we are not as alone as we officially think now?

Will first confirming evidence be simple non-threatening microbes on some far away rock?
Will it come in the form of a radio signal, possibly thousands of years old in transmission and thus also of low threat/alarm?
Will it be abandoned derelict probe or station?
Will it be more shocking and potentially M. Night Shyamalan twisty ending-like where we discover aliens are in our own DNA; that we are the aliens?
Will we get it no-holds barred, in our faces, flying saucers in the sky, aliens everywhere for whatever purpose?

I'm partial to signals, microbes, and the potential for a chance encounter with an ancient, robotic probe from a civilization long extinct.

What do you think we have the highest probability for confirmation in?

edit on 30-11-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The most likely is micrbial evidence, by far...

When it comes to evidence for intelligent ET, I'd say the most likely is a spacecraft or probe is seen by either one of our long range telescopes or probes.

So, basically in agreement.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
3 or 6 is about the only ones that are going to shut people up finally. Anything else will be drowned out by creationists saying satan is trying to "trick us".

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

I take it then that the microbrial life found in the meteorite is still being held skeptical due to wanting to hold civilization back as to not scare the sheep?

So yeah they'd prolly start real small to playcate to the reality and entertainment tonight people.

If a probe or craft was seen we'd just say it was man made.
edit on 30-11-2012 by metalholic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
You will wake up in the morning, roll over and there will be a gray with his big juicy eyes staring right at you.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
We are most likely only days away from option number two being announced. So far as intelligent ET goes? That won't be revealed until they reveal themselves to us. I mean, Governments have told us they are real and people still don't accept it. People won't accept it til they see them on nightly news.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I have to lean on the idea of our DNA being altered by some force.Either by aliens or natural galactic occurrences.Thanks for the thread,now you have me thinking.Say hi to caligula for me

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Will it be more shocking and potentially M. Night Shyamalan twisty ending-like where we discover aliens are in our own DNA; that we are the aliens?

I think this is the most feasible answer.

It's also virtually impossible to prove. There isn't another animal on this planet that is even remotely as intelligent as the human.

I think we're alien to this planet.
edit on 30-11-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout

I think this is the most feasible answer.

It's also virtually impossible to prove. There isn't another animal on this planet that is even remotely as intelligent as the human.

I think we're alien to this planet.
edit on 30-11-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

The HAR1 gene is proof of this.

My little nickname for it is Hybrid Alien Race 1.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well, once my UFO spotter system, which reacts to any sizable hovering object within 1.5 second by taking zoomed, stereoscopic video with tracking data stamped below each frame, is operational, if it does capture something that appears to be a so-called flying saucer, that won’t prove it’s from Zeta Reticuli, but since it will be corroborated through FOIA requests for the U.S. Weather Bureau and FAA radar data, and each frame contains hoaxproofing code readable by a separate program, making it virtually invulnerable to debunking, it should do more than rock the boat.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
There will not be any "first confirming evidence".
You don't even remotely know what you're talking about. Of course there are "aliens" and all that. I mean, we're here, right??
As far as that "first confirming evidence" that you want... if we're talking space aliens that can reach "here", then for starters they would have to give us the "evidence" intentionally. But even then, there's extremely serious problems since there really is no evidence that would prove anything. There's countless videos and abductee stories, and bla bla bla, but what is this so called "first confirming evidence" that would "confirm" something for you?? If you don't even know what it is, then it probably doesn't exist.
This means that there wasn't any "first confirming evidence" in the first place, and that you were just playing us all along so that you could "find out" that there's no aliens and then proclaim this and become a so-called skeptic that gives the rest of the folks a hard time on the internet.
Don't even get me started...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
A mass global fly-over!!!, but then someone will shout, "project bluebeam!!" and we`re back to square one.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious
There will not be any "first confirming evidence".
You don't even remotely know what you're talking about. Of course there are "aliens" and all that. I mean, we're here, right??
As far as that "first confirming evidence" that you want... if we're talking space aliens that can reach "here", then for starters they would have to give us the "evidence" intentionally. But even then, there's extremely serious problems since there really is no evidence that would prove anything. There's countless videos and abductee stories, and bla bla bla, but what is this so called "first confirming evidence" that would "confirm" something for you?? If you don't even know what it is, then it probably doesn't exist.
This means that there wasn't any "first confirming evidence" in the first place, and that you were just playing us all along so that you could "find out" that there's no aliens and then proclaim this and become a so-called skeptic that gives the rest of the folks a hard time on the internet.
Don't even get me started...

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.
If you look at my posting history you'll see that I'm already a very hard skeptic.

The stance of this OP, if I'm reading you correctly is that we currently have (officially) ZERO unambiguous confirmation of any life, even microscopic life, anywhere else other than Earth, and only Earth.

Thus, any official finding of any life, or unambiguous no interpretation needed evidence of artifice enacted by life found anywhere would be considered First Confirming Evidence.

Abandoned domed cities on the far side of the moon? Well, we haven't seen it before, so, I think something like that would qualify as a first in the public eye. Spaceships filling our skies with aliens everywhere? We have never seen that either, so, that too would be a first. Confirmation on the Mars meteorite for fossilized life was too debatable, so, if for any reason there's even the barest speck of a germ, bacteria, mold, or anything found on Mars, or anywhere else we go exploring, then, that too would be first confirming evidence.

Certainly there's "evidence" all over youtube and other places, some reports described and discussed in detail here on ATS even, but, it's all circumstantial, and/or of questionable authenticity ... all still up to debate.

I'm talking official First Confirmation of life elsewhere, regardless of whether that life is just a germ, or if that life can engineer, build and fly starships.

Right now, we've got Zero on the score card.
What will that first goal look like?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I think it will be in about 8 years, not abduction and alien disclosure, I believe that has already been disclosed, that cows were abducted by strange lights as in the video below, but that ancient man had the tech to travel to the stars.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

The description for that video (8000 mutilated cows in the 70's) got me thinking about whether things like Alzheimer's and BSE were engineered by ET.

Maybe we already have our proof. They messed with our food supply.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Its clear our own governments will never acknowledge the subject as a reality. As far as extraterrestrials are concerned with making themselves known that appears equally unlikely. They may have been sneaking around this planet for thousands of years if not longer. Neither will be the pathway for truth on this subject.

The only way we will find out is through a UFO crash/accident that is too big to cover up. Like say something as big as the object reported in the 1997 Phoenix Lights event crashing to earth in a densely populated area. Either that or the inevitability of technology allowing for civilian discovery through some irrefutable means. Possibly civilian space flights.

A UFO crash of that size seems highly improbable. So I have to go with the inevitability of technology getting us to the answer. I'm not sure how the answer will come in this method as technology changes rapidly. We may all wind up walking around recording our every movement, sight, and possibly thoughts. Evidence gathered from future civilian space flights would be extremely difficult to keep covered up although I'm certain our governments would try.

I don't measure when this will happen as taking place within our lifetimes. Barring global catastrophe, I figure 100-300 years from now it will be impossible to maintain a cover-up of this nature given the rapid pace of technology.
edit on 30-11-2012 by Frith because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Microbial bacteria or perhaps getting very lucky and stumbling across a signal. Any civilization that could get here in a reasonable amount of time would be so far beyond our current technological capabilities that we would be as interesting to them as insects are to us. Even then, the galaxy is a big place that even they likely haven't mapped a fraction of it and are not aware of our existence, and probably won't be for a very, very long time.

Any civilization that is anywhere near our level of technology (say a 100-1000 years more advanced) wouldn't have the capability to get here at all, but maybe that's a good thing for the same reason why we haven't heard from any other civilization as of yet. There might be a good reason why everyone is so quiet, assuming they are there in the first place.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Didn't we detect building blocks for life in a passing comet not to long ago? I know it's just building blocks but it was found in a COMET.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
hey

I think we might get some info from the "Kepler telescope" , (or such planet finder telescopes) in the not to distant future.

When they are able to pick-up junk on the planets atmosphere. They might find signatures around the distant planet "like we have around earth", it could say alot.

I do like the "alien probe though" being found coming from some distant system (thousands sent eons ago) coming here.

The end

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Being a believer that we are currently, and for a long time now, being visited by extra-terrestrial intelligence, I believe that the confirming evidence for the world will come as the result of a freak accident, and possibly only through the hands of a whistle-blower. Perhaps the right person will stumble upon a new Roswell Incident, and the bodies and wreckage will be recovered by civilians and disclosed publicly before the military can get ahold of it.

I find it very doubtful that the ETs will make themselves known, as they have a poor track record so far. I think it's even less likely that the US military will disclose what they know publicly in any way, shape, or form.

It's also entirely possible that first, we will merely be told of the discovery of microbial life outside of Earth. It seems like one of the only ways a genuine encounter with (or confirming evidence of) extra-terrestrial lifeforms would be disclosed to the public.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join