It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global hacking network declares Internet war on Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Global hacking network declares Internet war on Syria

www.chicagotribune.com

Global hacking network Anonymous said it will shut down Syrian government websites around the world in response to a countrywide Internet blackout believed to be aimed at silencing the opposition to President Bashar al-Assad.
The Syrian government said "terrorists" had attacked Internet lines but the opposition and human rights groups suspect it to be the work of the authorities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12/1/2012 by semperfortis because: To reflect the EXACT Headline

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
apparently, the intenet outage in Syria has upset these guys !
other members on ats have expressed concern over what Anonymous would do and now we have an answer.
personally , i think they should find something more constructive to do with thier lives!
The hacker collective has staged cyber attacks on the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency and Britain's Serious Organised Crime Agency. Earlier this month, The Israeli government said it logged more than 44 million hacking attempts in just a few days during its military assault on Gaza after Anonymous waged a similar campaign.

www.chicagotribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

Anonymous said it will shut down Syrian government websites around the world

who will care ? why do anonymous think that removing websites is BadAss hacking
They are a bunch of numptys SMH

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

By 1000 GMT on Friday, the website for Syria's embassy in Belgium was down but the embassy in China - which Anonymous said it would target first - was operating. Most government ministry websites were down although this could be due to the blackout.

they may have made their first stike here.
www.reuters.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pillock

why do anonymous think that removing websites is BadAss hacking

good point !
they could spend their time better by 'hackin' up' some good conspiracy type info for us.
edit on 30-11-2012 by tinhattribunal because: spelling

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
they dont just shut down websites. they also steal a bunch of information.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
You know this is CIAnonymous.

EDIT:
Anonymous is perfect cover to shut out as much information from al-Assad as possible, as it becoming obvious to the world this Syria conflict is a dirty proxy war being waged.
edit on 30-11-2012 by snapperski because: Go put the kettle on.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Once again anonymous will swoop in and take credit for the work of others, they are useful idiots but still idiots. Meanwhile people who are ACTUALLY doing something are getting screwed.
lists.torproject.org...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
....and so the cyber war continues....

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
For anyone interested in actually helping out those in Syria. I mean you could "OMG DDoS FTW LOL !!!!!111oneone" but what does taking down some stupid website than nobody actually visits really accomplish? Yeah, nothing
Here you go, spread and resist
blog.torproject.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake
they dont just shut down websites. they also steal a bunch of information.

They say that they will take down Syria's websites , do you think that Syria would have credit card or usernames/passwords stored on propaganda / tourism based sites ?
Most of them are script kiddies that run penetration programs or run DDOS bots

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
You know... judging by the completely insane level of disinformation surrounding first Libya and now Syria, I would not be surprised in the slightest to find out that the oppositional forces did take out the internet lines and that western media has spun it around into the opposite claim. Anonymous had better consider their next move extremely carefully.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
according to this new york times article, several syrian websites have mirror hosters in the usa and other countries...

Official Syrian Web Sites Hosted in U.S.

Even as Syrians lost access to the Internet on Thursday, people outside the country could still browse the Syrian government’s many Web sites for much of the day because they are hosted in foreign countries, including the United States.

the companies hosting them will likley be taking the down ...

By nightfall, after being contacted by The New York Times, several host companies said they were taking down those sites.

For example, the Web site of SANA, the Syrian state news agency, is hosted by a Dallas company, SoftLayer Technologies. It is one of a handful of Internet providers based in the United States that sell their services, often unknowingly, to Web sites operated by the government of President Bashar al-Assad.

also, it is illegal to host sites [govenment] of terrorist countries...

An executive order by President Obama prohibits American companies from providing Web hosting and other services to Syria without obtaining a license from the Treasury Department.

this is the CIA's comment ...

The hosting of government Web sites overseas represents a growing technological sophistication by the Assad government. “Look what they did with chemical weapons. They can do the same with communications,” said Robert B. Baer, a former C.I.A. operative based in the Middle East. “When the Syrians want to do something, they can do it.”

i had to make a tiny url for the link, just go to the preview page and click thier link ...
preview.tinyurl.com...
so far the Anonymous threat seems pretty weak.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yet again Anon talks a good game but will ultimately fail to deliver (Facebook, NYSE and ultimately The Internet were all chosen targets by them in the past). These kids sling some packets, maybe jack a poll or two but they aren't going to suddenly change the tide in a real world incident like Syria, honestly I'm surprised anybody even listens to the crap they spew any more given how many times they have called their shot then struck out miserably.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Some may categorize the actions of Anon as "useless", such as DDOS attacks; we might say their activities don't have much impact.

What do I see? I see a generation of resistance. Sure, their hacking skills may not be *crazy* atm, but what they have demonstrated is a solid commitment to doing something. Give them a couple years; wait till they learn new tricks, have access to new info or technologies. It will get interesting, mark my words.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon4m05
Some may categorize the actions of Anon as "useless", such as DDOS attacks; we might say their activities don't have much impact.

What do I see? I see a generation of resistance. Sure, their hacking skills may not be *crazy* atm, but what they have demonstrated is a solid commitment to doing something. Give them a couple years; wait till they learn new tricks, have access to new info or technologies. It will get interesting, mark my words.

Your words have been marked, they got popular for attacking scientology websites in 2008 (its almost 2013). They are too dumb to learn new tricks and you know it

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by anon4m05

bringing down a website isn’t 'doing something' infact, its pretty simple to do with ddos attacks.

Also, you cannot resist a government from your arm chair in your bedroom.. you can speak loudly and jump up and down about resistance, but im sure the people in Egypt and Iraq would laugh at your ''resistance'

Like the poster above said, they've been doing this for a fair few years now,

Also, its not like they are rookies and are still figuring out the lay of the land. Hackers (the real hard-core ones) pretty much know their way around whats out there.

So anon declared they are going to bog down (not take offline) Syria’s public websites.

And thats going to do what exactly? Make Assad look twice over his shoulder for faceless hackers?
Make Assad just put his hands up?

If you could access all government agencies databases, servers, platforms you'd have your hands on some pretty gnarly stuff.

Example, signed contracts between US corporations and local 'sanctioned' companies.
Perhaps statements of discussions between political leaders?
Maybe your internal spy agency's wiretap documents.

I'm not saying anon are useless, but everything they have done to date is useless. Stop showboating on websites and start bringing down these curropt entities you seem hell bent on destroying.

edit on 5-12-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join