It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found a strange rock

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

2nd guess

1st was silica ore...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I found one too just like you. Kinda cool looking, shiny and dull at the same time. Then I looked in the mirror and realized it was my head.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I tried taking some pictures but I dont have anything but an old cell phone and the pictures don't look like anything. I will take pictures in sunlight tomorrow of hematite & galena and a few other stones. I do think it is hematite.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Do a streak test:
Take the rock to your bathroom, remove the toilet tank lid and turn it over to expose the unglazed ceramic. Scratch the rock across the unglazed portion of the tank and look at the streak it made.

Red = Hematite
Black = Magnetite
Brown = Limonite
Silver = Graphite

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RocksFromSpace

Lol too funny. I just posted on the second guys thread and said his resembles bornite also. The OP's doesn't have as much "color", but it may just be the way the light isn't hitting it. This is why I said it looks most like galena.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

I just responded to your thread to give you some possibles as to what yours could be.

2nd

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

watchdog, do you know how to tell if a rock is a meteorite? I have one that I think is but don't know how to tell. I have a collection of all kinds of precious and semi-precious stones/gems and other rocks and I have one that I have no idea what it is. I am not certified or had any training in anything but as a hobby cut gemstones is why I have a lot of different rocks.
Tom

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by catt3
reply to post by watchdog

watchdog, do you know how to tell if a rock is a meteorite? I have one that I think is but don't know how to tell. I have a collection of all kinds of precious and semi-precious stones/gems and other rocks and I have one that I have no idea what it is. I am not certified or had any training in anything but as a hobby cut gemstones is why I have a lot of different rocks.
Tom

Post some photos, I'll take a look.... I'm a Meteorite Dealer

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RocksFromSpace

It will have to be tomorrow. Like I said all I have to take pictures is an old cell phone and for some reason it won't take decent pictures unless it is in sunlight. but I will tell you what I can about now. it is black with a little bit of rust in 1 little spot it is very heavy it weighs 19.42oz and about the size of a baseball. lots of cleavage and I am pretty sure it is an iron alloy. it is magnetic. I found it in a farm field while looking for arrowheads.
I will take a picture tomorrow and post it. and I can cut a small piece off and send it to you if you can tell that way.
Thanks, Tom
edit on 11/30/2012 by catt3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by catt3

Sorry honey, I haven't studied meteorites yet. But if you post a pic, I will take it to my geology professor as well as my astro physics professor and see if they can tell from your picture. Then I will let you know.

You can also see if the "meteorite dealer" poster from above can help you out.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
i1352.photobucket.com...
i1352.photobucket.com...
i1352.photobucket.com...

I think this a link to the pictures. I just took these inside. Tomorrow I will take pictures in the sunlight. It looks different in sunlight

It is more black and reflective in person.like I said I can cut a piece off if someone wants it so I can find out what it is.
Thanks, Tom

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
At first glance and without being able to test it it looks like anthracite coal. Pretty common rock.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

It is not coal, like I said a magnet will pick it up if it is strong enough. I also have been working with rocks and gems for about 15yrs and the only thing it I think it could be is some kind of iron ore or a meteorite, iron ore is not known to be found in the area but I am not sure. it is way to heavy to be any kind of coal I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of coal and I have never seen any coal that is magnetic. I am going to cut a slice off and send it somewhere to get it identified so any recomondations on where to send it would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tom

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
What about Coke

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
Lapis Lazuli

Lapis Lazuli is a blue stone

One of my favorites. I use to have a really pretty bracelet and necklace made out of it that i got in the Dominican Republic.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
reply to post by Juston

2nd guess

1st was silica ore...

check the piece at :35 in following vid.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
What about Coke

I have a piece of slag coke from my back yard and its as heavy as a piece of glass, and looks like black and magenta glass. I'm betting you found soft coal. I find chunks of coal when I turn my garden all the time that look like that. House built in 1865 and they used to burn coal, obviously. Magnetic? Hematite.
edit on 30-11-2012 by tkwasny because: Addition

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Galena, lead sulfide, has a density of over 7 and the OP said that it was "light" so galena is not a likely conclusion.
edit on 11/30/2012 by pteridine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
coal, where did u find it?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by catt3
reply to post by grayeagle

It is not coal, like I said a magnet will pick it up if it is strong enough. I also have been working with rocks and gems for about 15yrs and the only thing it I think it could be is some kind of iron ore or a meteorite, iron ore is not known to be found in the area but I am not sure. it is way to heavy to be any kind of coal I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of coal and I have never seen any coal that is magnetic. I am going to cut a slice off and send it somewhere to get it identified so any recomondations on where to send it would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tom

thats a huge lodestone from what I can think (also looks slightly like a crude magnetite), sorta like a ginormous boji stone. They have magnetic properties, but very subtle. I showed my bojis to a family member who tested them with a high end electronic multitester and was very VERY curious. He told me they had capacitor-like qualities, but they changed values and were multi-poled. The majority of bojis (also known as Kansas poprocks) come from Kansas, but lodestones come from various regions I'm unfamiliar with. I love rocks and crystals and have 100s and possibly 1000s of them now, I bring them back from hikes and anywhere i travel.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join